Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to ask if anyone else out there does what I do by covering ALL the furniture with white bed sheets at Halloween season? I just thought they add a little spookier ambiance

I have never paid for them -- I just ask local hotels for their "old" sheets (I cut off the fitted corners on bottom sheets and cut of the top and bottom strips of flat sheets). I have around 60 or so now.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I do it when we have a party, I think it has a duel purpose, looks like an old house with furniture covered like in the movies and keeps candle wax and assorted food and drink off the furniture.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
First of all love the ceiling:)

Second of all yes I do only I dye mine grey, it gives it a more haunting look!

Third, love the floors, real hardwood????

·
Registered
385 Posts
I do it when we have a party, I think it has a duel purpose, looks like an old house with furniture covered like in the movies and keeps candle wax and assorted food and drink off the furniture.
have to agree with scott here, we do it for the party not only for look but to protect them from makeup and spills. the protection part wasnt planned until we noticed a set of green leg marks on the sheets. guess a mermaid sat there.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,328 Posts
have to agree with scott here, we do it for the party not only for look but to protect them from makeup and spills. the protection part wasnt planned until we noticed a set of green leg marks on the sheets. guess a mermaid sat there.
Oh no!

In another thread someone who was covered in blood sat down on the couch because it was covered in a sheet... but the sheet was too thin and there were blood stains all over the couch when they removed the sheet.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,328 Posts

I also love the house.

Also, dying the sheets grey is a great tip.

Have you tried to dye them any other color?

I am wondering is dying them with tea or coffee might give it an old... musty.... type of feel.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to do this for our party in 2010. Gotta get bedsheets though.
I get mine free from a local Comfort Inn -- they throw them away after so many washings.

Just be open and tell them that you love to decorate your home for Halloween and any old bedsheets that are discarding -- and you KNOW that they do so every so many months -- would be gladly picked up from at their place of business. Tell them you don't care if stained or ripped (just take off a 4-inch strip where the tear is, for example). I usually score a bag of 20-30 mixed bottom and top sheets each time.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also love the house.

Also, dying the sheets grey is a great tip.

Have you tried to dye them any other color?

I am wondering is dying them with tea or coffee might give it an old... musty.... type of feel.
Ha!! I just had a though...we have 6 dogs now and I'll just leave the sheets out all year maybe. THAT will give them the grunge-look. lol

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Hi Spook,

I'm glad you like the ceiling.

We keep the ceiling mini can/spot lights way down in that room and use 48" black lights (set up on top of curtain boxes above a window at the middle of the room) to make them all glow. I might try to dingy one up and see how it looks.

BTW, the white trapezoid shape at the far end near the ceiling is the unique pseudo lightning storm I posted the other day.

And the flooring is real wood - throughout the house except the study and bed rooms. Actually, putting down wood in master bedroom soon due the 6 dogs.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,328 Posts
Ha!! I just had a though...we have 6 dogs now and I'll just leave the sheets out all year maybe. THAT will give them the grunge-look. lol
Yep... it would probably make it very musty too...

Wow.. 6 dogs... I only have two... but my beagle causes enough problems for at least 4 more dogs.

And I am really impressed.. 6 dogs.. not even a speck of fur in the picture and no evidence of dog related damage...
(Who is your groomer and trainer... I think I need their numbers...lol)

·
Valkyrie Of Halloween
2,435 Posts
I have covered mine in the past with sheets and plan to do so again this year. Last year I just draped it over them and didn't cover them all the way (I'd just gotten the sofa and chairs and wanted to show them off!).
We actually keep each one covered with a comforter every day! We have 4 cats (that's how many claws?) and uncover what we want to use when we get home from work and everything if anyone is coming over. Kinda sucks, but they are almost 2 yrs old and still look new. We keep talking about getting the cats declawed, about $80 per cat, but the money is always needed elswhere, plus they only do the front feet there. I bet if I could get them to do the back feet they would want double $!
I use sheets that I get from nursing homes and rehab centers. I leave the tears in but have cut some of them as needed. I dye them so have some grey and some tea (or coffee) stained. I work in one and they have to replace torn, worn and stained sheets (gotta keep up their image) that are still perfectly good. I cover the plants with them in winter, so they earn their keep!
;D

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,956 Posts
I cover my coffee table at Halloween with a whit sheet I splattered with red paint so it looks like blood drops.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I used black sheets last year. My parents had bought them and made them into drapes for the backdrops of our church Xmas and Easter plays. And since they are in charge of all the props, I get to use them. Of course, no one at my party was bloody or overly made up.
I had no idea about the hotels discarding old sheets. I will have to look into that. RIT dye works wonders on fabrics! LOL

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used black sheets last year. My parents had bought them and made them into drapes for the backdrops of our church Xmas and Easter plays. And since they are in charge of all the props, I get to use them. Of course, no one at my party was bloody or overly made up.
I had no idea about the hotels discarding old sheets. I will have to look into that. RIT dye works wonders on fabrics! LOL
I hadn't thought about black...cool idea! I sued white (with fabric whitener in the detergent) to get them to glow with the two 48" black light on the light up the room. A fun effect!

Thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts