Halloween Forum banner

Because everyone builds a coffin in their front yard

6100 Views 33 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  zacharybinx
Hey all! So somewhere on here someone mentioned that wood pallets are good for prop building. So... Guess what i found behind my work the other day? I decided to build a toe pincher and animate it with the top portion of the lid open about 10" and a skeleton hand reaching out then returning as the lid closes. Today i almost finished the coffin (i still have to attach it together using door hinges so it will store flat) so here are some pics
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Insert Witty Comment Here
4,483 Posts
HUGE SCORE FOR ME!!!

I was peeking in a construction dumpster and found a 80" x 66" pallet...the long boards are the 80" ones. I'm thinking about building an old-school rectangular box coffin to take advantage of the length. There should be enough there to make the sides and the top.

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Coffin

HUGE SCORE FOR ME!!!

I was peeking in a construction dumpster and found a 80" x 66" pallet...the long boards are the 80" ones. I'm thinking about building an old-school rectangular box coffin to take advantage of the length. There should be enough there to make the sides and the top.
I an sooooo jealous! I had to piece mine together. You rock on with that coffin!

· Insert Witty Comment Here
4,483 Posts
I an sooooo jealous! I had to piece mine together. You rock on with that coffin!
Even better today...I was up on the local Air Force Base and saw a stack of pallets outside a warehouse...so I went in and asked if they were trash....and they were....so I went back out to start loading up and lo and behold, I found a 42"H x 42"W x 36"D shipping crate made out of slats like pallets, with no spacing....lid included :D ... perfect for a Monster in a Box. Although, I'm going to cut it down to ToT eye level

Neener..neeener...neeener :D

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Coffin build continues

So today I finally got back out there and worked on the coffin in my front yard. I stained it with a poly & stain mixture, Attached the hinges and designed a cross out of some little carved wood pieces I got from Michael's on clearance. They will be painted gold later but here are some pics... Next week I hope to have the motor in and working. I also attached the whole thing together with cheap door hinges so I can pull the pins and store it flat.

· Registered
199 Posts
I like to see that you considered storage and taking it apart, I build all my props keeping storage and being modular in mind. I'm surprised that I haven't heard of anyone using old barn board for their coffins, with so many old ruin barns around, just ask them to support your cause. I've posted a picture of my half coffin made of barn board and it disassembles for easy storage.

[/COLOR]

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I like to see that you considered storage and taking it apart, I build all my props keeping storage and being modular in mind. I'm surprised that I haven't heard of anyone using old barn board for their coffins, with so many old ruin barns around, just ask them to support your cause. I've posted a picture of my half coffin made of barn board and it disassembles for easy storage.

[/COLOR]
I also have the inside marked A to A, B to B etc so i would remember how to put it back together from year to year. I tend to be a dork and forget those things...

BTW, How do you get photos on here instead of attaching? I tried using the URL from photo bucket but it doesn't work.

· Registered
199 Posts
Just click on the IMG CODE under the picture you want, then in your tool bar under file select copy, finally paste here on your message board. I find that sometimes for some reason the copy option is not active, don't give up keep trying. Its funny to think I'm actually giving someone direction on using a computer, when I'm so computer illiterate.

· Registered
484 Posts
Very nice toe pincer coffin...I used apart pallets but have now moved on to Wooden fence sections. They are already aged and can sometimes be found by making a few calls to business that specialize in fence building or repair.

I got these after last years storm blew down some fences in my neighborhood :)

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well I finally finished it today. The motor and stuff are in and working well. The only things left to do is paint the inside black and find a skelly arm & hand to replace the bad rubber glove I used to get the idea and make sure the clearance was there.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.