Halloween Forum banner

Because everyone builds a coffin in their front yard

6104 Views 33 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  zacharybinx
Hey all! So somewhere on here someone mentioned that wood pallets are good for prop building. So... Guess what i found behind my work the other day? I decided to build a toe pincher and animate it with the top portion of the lid open about 10" and a skeleton hand reaching out then returning as the lid closes. Today i almost finished the coffin (i still have to attach it together using door hinges so it will store flat) so here are some pics
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
great job...i have a bunch of pallets on the side of my house i've started taking apart....what a pain in the butt that is..

Hopefully i have enough for a mib and a coffin.
taking the pallets apart was a pain in the butt. Thank goodness for advil. I just kept telling myself "they were free!"

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Coffin

Oh man I am looking for some rough old ones. All I can fin are the new nice ones. I like the old ones because they don't need to be aged. They can make some really cool old looking stuff if you find some well worn pallets.
I have a few rough ones but I thought I needed to build it out some sturdy wood and "age" it with paint, stain & moss. I was afraid that it would fall apart if the wood was too old. There is still a lot of work to do on it but at least I have the basic shape. Next is to "age" then animate. I'll Post more pics as the process goes on and a video once it's animated.

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
coffin

I used to just bang the boards off with a hammer. This was loud and broke some of the boards. Then I tried this great little nail puller. I use the claw end to bang in under the boards. I line it up under the nails and then pry them up from under the nails. I can take apart a pallet in a half hour and not break any boards.

https://www.hor-i-zon.com/catalog/images/PC58.jpg

Hope this will help.
I had some boards that didn't make it (casualties) but I was able to get enough wood for the build. I wish I had thought about the saw but thinking back I'm not sure that would have worked for me. I just kept at it with the hammer and screw drivers and sweat. The best part was that I Just went nuts and built it all in one day. I only get 1 day off a week. Next week maybe I'll Paint & stain it.

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Coffin

HUGE SCORE FOR ME!!!

I was peeking in a construction dumpster and found a 80" x 66" pallet...the long boards are the 80" ones. I'm thinking about building an old-school rectangular box coffin to take advantage of the length. There should be enough there to make the sides and the top.
I an sooooo jealous! I had to piece mine together. You rock on with that coffin!

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Coffin build continues

So today I finally got back out there and worked on the coffin in my front yard. I stained it with a poly & stain mixture, Attached the hinges and designed a cross out of some little carved wood pieces I got from Michael's on clearance. They will be painted gold later but here are some pics... Next week I hope to have the motor in and working. I also attached the whole thing together with cheap door hinges so I can pull the pins and store it flat.

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I like to see that you considered storage and taking it apart, I build all my props keeping storage and being modular in mind. I'm surprised that I haven't heard of anyone using old barn board for their coffins, with so many old ruin barns around, just ask them to support your cause. I've posted a picture of my half coffin made of barn board and it disassembles for easy storage.

[/COLOR]
I also have the inside marked A to A, B to B etc so i would remember how to put it back together from year to year. I tend to be a dork and forget those things...

BTW, How do you get photos on here instead of attaching? I tried using the URL from photo bucket but it doesn't work.

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well I finally finished it today. The motor and stuff are in and working well. The only things left to do is paint the inside black and find a skelly arm & hand to replace the bad rubber glove I used to get the idea and make sure the clearance was there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.