Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! So somewhere on here someone mentioned that wood pallets are good for prop building. So... Guess what i found behind my work the other day? I decided to build a toe pincher and animate it with the top portion of the lid open about 10" and a skeleton hand reaching out then returning as the lid closes. Today i almost finished the coffin (i still have to attach it together using door hinges so it will store flat) so here are some pics

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Can't wait to see more pics. Keep up the good work!!!

Pallets are so awesome. This is kind of sad to admit, but in the last week I have taken apart at least 5 or 6 pallets(probably closer to 10). I have a big pile of pallet boards behind my garage now. Even worse is that I still need more to finish my project,

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Great Job...I have a bunch of pallets on the side of my house I've started taking apart....what a pain in the butt that is..

Hopefully I have enough for a MIB and a coffin.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great job...i have a bunch of pallets on the side of my house i've started taking apart....what a pain in the butt that is..

Hopefully i have enough for a mib and a coffin.
taking the pallets apart was a pain in the butt. Thank goodness for advil. I just kept telling myself "they were free!"

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
I used to just bang the boards off with a hammer. This was loud and broke some of the boards. Then I tried this great little nail puller. I use the claw end to bang in under the boards. I line it up under the nails and then pry them up from under the nails. I can take apart a pallet in a half hour and not break any boards.

https://www.hor-i-zon.com/catalog/images/PC58.jpg

Hope this will help.

·
Good Ghoul Gone Bad
747 Posts
The pallets you got looked like they were in real good shape - a lot of ones I see are pretty rough. The toe pincher is my favorite coffin style - got 2 myself :)

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
The pallets you got looked like they were in real good shape - a lot of ones I see are pretty rough. The toe pincher is my favorite coffin style - got 2 myself :)
Oh man I am looking for some rough old ones. All I can fin are the new nice ones. I like the old ones because they don't need to be aged. They can make some really cool old looking stuff if you find some well worn pallets.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
taking the pallets apart was a pain in the butt. Thank goodness for advil. I just kept telling myself "they were free!"
I hear ya! I get crates from work all the time to tear apart for free wood. Just like you I have to keep reminding myself....."Its free, its free, its FREE!!!" I've found if you leave the wood outside over winter in the snow, it weathers really nice! :D

·
Registered
522 Posts
Us too! Then, we got desperate enough to try some power tools. Once we grabbed the reciprocating saw: TA DA! Easy. Just cut the nails off.
That's what I do too! - the Sawzall! what a great tool!

Just jam the blade in the crack between boards and cut through the nails, quick and easy!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Oh man I am looking for some rough old ones. All I can fin are the new nice ones. I like the old ones because they don't need to be aged. They can make some really cool old looking stuff if you find some well worn pallets.
You can always age them with a small propane torch. I did that with some new 2x4's and it worked well. Just remember safety, do it outside and have a garden hose or extinguisher handy.

-PB

·
Registered
450 Posts
Nice job! I am always scouting out for the aged ones. Tearing them apart is a pain, but after the first 6 I got smart and got a system to do it. I used them for my creature crate.

Thanks for sharing!

-Doc

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Coffin

I have a few rough ones but I thought I needed to build it out some sturdy wood and "age" it with paint, stain & moss. I was afraid that it would fall apart if the wood was too old. There is still a lot of work to do on it but at least I have the basic shape. Next is to "age" then animate. I'll Post more pics as the process goes on and a video once it's animated.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
coffin

I used to just bang the boards off with a hammer. This was loud and broke some of the boards. Then I tried this great little nail puller. I use the claw end to bang in under the boards. I line it up under the nails and then pry them up from under the nails. I can take apart a pallet in a half hour and not break any boards.

https://www.hor-i-zon.com/catalog/images/PC58.jpg

Hope this will help.
I had some boards that didn't make it (casualties) but I was able to get enough wood for the build. I wish I had thought about the saw but thinking back I'm not sure that would have worked for me. I just kept at it with the hammer and screw drivers and sweat. The best part was that I Just went nuts and built it all in one day. I only get 1 day off a week. Next week maybe I'll Paint & stain it.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I have an exposed "open to the elements" area to the side of my garage that I use for ageing new wood. by monitoring it fairly regularly I can select pieces with the right amount of ageing I require, from slightly weathered to virtually rotten.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Nice work, man. As a Carpenter myself, I know what you went through, "recycling" the material. Way to go!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts