Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so excited to share the dress I bought on eBay. It's a vintage Gunne Sax wedding dress in size XS that I bought to make a Beloved tombstone. Now the problem is it's so pretty I don't know if I can stand to cover it with monster mud. I only paid $29....what a buy....what a dilemma. What would you do....would you be brave and make the tombstone, or save it and make another prop? I already have my wedding dress I'm using for a ghost bride prop and I know I won't put monster mud on my wedding dress.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Far be it from me to say, but, don't trash it. It's beautiful! Maybe you could just wear it.

I have sold hundreds of items on Ebay, it is possible that if the description is re-written and posted in a different category / sub-category, you could re-sell it and make some money. An item like that would sell good now before Christmas, true collectors of vintage clothes will buy it. Just a thought.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
DON'T DO IT!
That's way to beautiful to throw mud on!
Send it to me, I'll save it for you :)

Meeps

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well PHD there is one thing I know I won't be doing with it for sure and that's wearing it. Size XS passed me by after the first baby, size S passed me by after the second....and that's as far as I'm going with this discussion. hehehe. I'm leaning toward the mud at the moment. I can just hear my husband now! I think I'll wait until he's not home or something.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice pickup...

Mud it.....

I'm also on the prowl on EBay for (cant believe I would ever say this ) a dress!

Need one for a future Sleepy Hollow project. Looking for a 18th century colonial ball gown that I can Tim Burton up a little..or since it may involve sewing my wife can Tim Burton up a little.

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mud it.....

I'm also on the prowl on EBay for (cant believe I would ever say this ) a dress!

Need one for a future Sleepy Hollow project. Looking for a 18th century colonial ball gown that I can Tim Burton up a little..or since it may involve sewing my wife can Tim Burton up a little.

Good luck CIV...I can't believe some of the prices I've seen on costumes from that era. It might be quicker and cheaper to have your wife sew it from scratch. Of course, it might be harder to negotiate the terms of that arrangement.

·
Reaper Queen
8,799 Posts
I don't know MT, the haunter in me says mud it, it woudl be a perfect beloved dress, but it is so gorgous, , the girl in me says( of course that was so long ago she is whispering!LOL!) NO,Never, it is too beautiful . What ever way you go, great find!!

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Wow, what a great dress. The neck, sleeves and hem are perfect for this. It doesn't have a train, so if you want the cascading effect on the back, you will have to add that. Also, it seems to not have an under layer. That adds to the poof of the body of the dress. I'm sure a layer of chicken wire will fix that.

I understand what you mean about putting MM on it. I got the wedding dress I used for $20 but it was tough to smear the mud on that sparkling white fabric.

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know MT, the haunter in me says mud it, it woudl be a perfect beloved dress, but it is so gorgous, , the girl in me says( of course that was so long ago she is whispering!LOL!) NO,Never, it is too beautiful . What ever way you go, great find!!
Sadly Beth they list these dresses as "hippie" dresses. I had to laugh about searching for one...I used to wear them for real but when they were "hippie" dresses we called them "granny dresses". It was either floor length or "way way too short" in my generation. I can't believe my mother let me out of the house in some of those short ones. My hubby loved them before we got married....then as soon as I was a "wife" they were banned from public view.

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, what a great dress. The neck, sleeves and hem are perfect for this. It doesn't have a train, so if you want the cascading effect on the back, you will have to add that. Also, it seems to not have an under layer. That adds to the poof of the body of the dress. I'm sure a layer of chicken wire will fix that.

I understand what you mean about putting MM on it. I got the wedding dress I used for $20 but it was tough to smear the mud on that sparkling white fabric.
No it doesn't have a train Terra, but I always wait until I find "perfection" and then just frustrate myself so I was really pleased with myself for going for something close. I can fill out the skirt with a petticoat or wire mesh so that's an easy fix. I haven't decided if I will add a train or not. It would be a simple thing to do. I'm just wondering if a train would be too much with the double ruffle bodice. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Oh it is too pretty to use! Too bad we can't all find an ugly lime green bridesmaid dress to muddy up. I say hold out until summer and after checking yardsales for something else..then go for it. My dress was only 5 bucks and had been smoke damaged in a fire, the rest of my bridal clothes were salvaged from the great flood of 08' so there may be items to be found out there that won't hurt to ruin :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, er, I'd chime in, but I'm confused. You're going to turn the dress into a tombstone?

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
No it doesn't have a train Terra, but I always wait until I find "perfection" and then just frustrate myself so I was really pleased with myself for going for something close. I can fill out the skirt with a petticoat or wire mesh so that's an easy fix. I haven't decided if I will add a train or not. It would be a simple thing to do. I'm just wondering if a train would be too much with the double ruffle bodice. Thoughts?
I know exactly what you mean. I am always telling myself that I need to just start the project. I am always looking for something better.

In regards to the train. Because the ruffles are in the front of the dress and she is laying down, I'm thinking she will still need some kind of cascade. Also, with the MM and the Drylok you lose a lot of the details so excessive details are good. The wedding dress I used in its raw state was completely over the top with ruffles. I was thinking that reason it was going for only $20 was that it was almost costumey in the ruffle department.

With that in mind, I think Beloved lends itself to all kid of versions. The lack of a ruffled train could make her look more elegant and a bit more modern. I was going for the Colonial bride/woman. The lack of a train could make her look like a 1900's bride. Could look very good. It's your call. I think she will look good either way.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts