Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a horror movie museum theme this year. I am wondering where people have found beakers, test tubes and misc. glassware for a Frankenstein's laboratory area. Any ideas anyone? And as a side note... I made a fabulous coffin for my bar this year.l Love it! Mostly thanks to my handy brother. It will have Dracula inside, lights up, plexiglass work area over Dracula. Shelf for booze bottles... I super excited about this.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,904 Posts
^they're awesome for stuff like that - random bottles/test tubes, mechanical gizmos, lights and stuff. Great reputation too.

Check out your local Michael/Hobby Lobby/Joann stores too. All of them have had decent quantities of bottles and such and I'm pretty sure I've seen test tubes or erlenmeyer shaped bottles there at some of those.

And don't forget thrift stores! My city has tons of Goodwills - there's always something I can repurpose if I visit a few of those places.

And that's a great coffin! :D

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,519 Posts
We did a Frankenstein lab two years ago and got a lot of suitable glass beakers/tubes/jars from Michaels and local thrift shops. Don't forget about plastic jars as well. Paint the lids, add fluids and back light them. We used a couple of those really large plastic jars that cheese balls come in. We got a baby doll with creepy eyes and were able to display the doll in one of them, filled with water and a light behind it. Lots of options.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
574 Posts
^they're awesome for stuff like that - random bottles/test tubes, mechanical gizmos, lights and stuff. Great reputation too.
The Science and Surplus is where I've gotten most of my lab items, they are not decorative props, but the real deal. I live in the Chicago area so I can go into the actual store and not just online.

·
Registered
413 Posts
We did a Frankenstein lab two years ago and got a lot of suitable glass beakers/tubes/jars from Michaels and local thrift shops. Don't forget about plastic jars as well. Paint the lids, add fluids and back light them. We used a couple of those really large plastic jars that cheese balls come in. We got a baby doll with creepy eyes and were able to display the doll in one of them, filled with water and a light behind it. Lots of options.
Holy s**t! That sounds awesome! 🦇

·
Registered
413 Posts

Check out your local Michael/Hobby Lobby/Joann stores too. All of them have had decent quantities of bottles and such and I'm pretty sure I've seen test tubes or erlenmeyer shaped bottles there at some of those.

And don't forget thrift stores! My city has tons of Goodwills - there's always something I can repurpose if I visit a few of those places.

And that's a great coffin! :D
Beat me to it. I'm on their email list and they just sent one a day ago featuring a fine selection of beakers, test-tubes, et al. They've been in business for years and while I've only ordered from them a few times, they're always reliable with decent prices. 🦇

Note: Since they ARE surplus, the stock changes over time for much of their catalog.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,519 Posts

A pic of one section of our lab scene. Test tubes with a home made wooden holder, large plastic pretzel jars with foam insulators. The shelves under the bubbler tube held a variety of glass and plastic jars with various things in them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There's a class of drinkware called "Chemistry Bar Glassware" that you can get from restaurant supply such as this one:

Awesome coffin, by the way!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts