Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My snowcone maker broke so I took the motor out of it to see if I could use it for a prop. Plugged the SOB in and got one hellofashock! I din't know the damn thing was going to shock me. I guess I touched something I shouldn't have. It felt like a truck ran into my hand and arm!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
even though i thought it was a funny story. come on tell the truth your working on electroshock therapy for the kids this year. i know what your up to. make me one for the wife
 

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
Joined
·
7,447 Posts
Owwwww! That sounds awful! Hope you didn't have any lasting damage...

(see, this is why I'm hesitant to do my own motorized props - I would be the one that electrocutes myself and burns down the house as a bonus. :eek: )
 

·
Going bump in the night..
Joined
·
3,388 Posts
Wow! Glad you're okay...(you are okay, aren't you?)

Ah, the price we pay for our props, hmm?

Now, you need to figure out where that thing was grounded, and re-attach...and then touch it again...

Go on...touch it! You know you want to...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
i was putting up Christmas lights one year touched a metal pole and a naked wire on the strand never been shocked like that before.. fg you just shake it off for an hour or 2 and just be more careful the 2nd 3rd or 4th time around cant remember how many times now but anyways it just tingles a little i think maybe alot cant remember its been a year or 2 time to do it again. hope not but im ready if it happens.

lol
 

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Put one hand in your pocket and touch with the back of your other hand.

And don't mess with the inside of a TV if ya aint got a grounding stick..
 

·
Shadow box dancer
Joined
·
1,443 Posts
I have some sort of immunity to electrical shocks. I got myself three times setting up for Halloween last year. I think I got it from my dad, he doesn't really get shocked either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol guys...yeah i am all right. Just felt wierd,, I was helping my mom fix the doorbell in her basement a month or 2 ago and touched a bare wire and shocked the crap out of my and too. I might be with frankies girl about motor powered props, 'cause God knows if it can shock me it will. I fell down the stairs to my 2 story shed the other day too.
 

·
livin Halloween every day
Joined
·
1,989 Posts
Glad your ok, Maybe start building your props with a wet suit on and a bear attack suit over top of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Put one hand in your pocket and touch with the back of your other hand.

And don't mess with the inside of a TV if ya aint got a grounding stick..
Words to live by (literally). My father ran an electronics repair business for years, & had a #3 Phillips screwdriver with the end burned off displayed prominently above his workbench. Shorted out against the flyback transformer in a television that had been unplugged for over a month! The picture tube of a television acts like a huge capacitor & can store enough energy to kill you for years. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
Sounds like that motor would make a great electric chair!!....lol...(glad your ok)

That's why I like to work with 12v..you won't get fried to a crisp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
We used to call that having our 60 Hurts Doughnut in the morning.

60 Hertz Don't It?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
While it's good that the OP is safe and we can all have a little chuckle over it, messing around with electronics does have a lot of potential danger associated with it.

I was going to mention the dangers of monkeying around with televisions, but hedg12 beat me to it:
Words to live by (literally). My father ran an electronics repair business for years, & had a #3 Phillips screwdriver with the end burned off displayed prominently above his workbench. Shorted out against the flyback transformer in a television that had been unplugged for over a month! The picture tube of a television acts like a huge capacitor & can store enough energy to kill you for years. :eek:
The lesson of all this?
If you don't know what you are doing with electronics, find someone who does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
When I was in high school we had an electric can opener my mom was throwing away so I took it apart and then plugged it in and did the same thing and this many years later I still remember that!not much else mind you, but I remember that.
 

·
Lord of the Cemetery
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
Sounds like that motor would make a great electric chair!!....lol...(glad your ok)

That's why I like to work with 12v..you won't get fried to a crisp.
A word to the wise..Please remember to remove all rings or bracelets, even if working on 12V. When I was a young engineer I ignored this simple safety rule and my wedding ring shorted the terminals on a 12V starter motor.
believe me guys..molten gold is a complete SOB to remove from cooked flesh.
I still don't have complete movement in that finger 24 years on..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Glad you're OK! Getting zapped is never fun! But it is fun to hear everyone's "shocking" stories...:rolleyes:

I used to work in a vintage guitar shop as the amp tech and did mostly work on old tube amps. And I imagine this is the same sort of thing as was mentioned earlier about voltage stored in a TV tube, but those huge capacitors in some older high-wattage guitar amps do the same thing! I got literally sat on my A$$ by an amp that ran at over 450 volts!! I don't know how much charge was stored in those capacitors at the time, but it was more than 120, and I had to take a break for a while until my body stopped shaking. :eek:

But I was definitely sure to never forget to discharge caps after that one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ow guys. You all make me cringe lol. I am gonna try to be more careful lol. I guess 6 or 12 volt motors wont hurt as bad as 120v out of the power socket :)
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top