Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted earlier in the month my confession about almost quitting Halloween because I got frustrated with not being able to attract more than 16 ToTs. I shared the things we did new for this year and was excited that it seemed to be working.
We'll be careful what you ask for ... I just found out that the local newspaper included our event in their 'things to do for Halloween' this year! They only had 33 things for a very populated 2 county area (in SWFL) including bar events and daytime fare. So there is a good chance that our yard haunt is going to be overflowing!
Honestly I am having a bit of a panic attach and trying to find more people to help out that night. Happy Halloween everyone - in case I don't survive!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Wow...that's awesome. That's great news!

To also stimulate foot traffic on our block, I downloaded the Nextdoor app to my phone (has anyone used or heard of this?). It's an app designed to better communicate with people in your neighborhood. You download the app and enter in your address. Then the app will automatically place you in a "forum" with people who live in your neighborhood. There people can post things that they're selling, need help with something, etc...Another thing you can do is post an Event. It's almost like a Craig's List just your neighborhood.

So on the app I posted a Trick or Treating event for 10/31, basically advertising that I'll be giving away full-sized candy bars for Trick or Treaters. On the event I was able to post a picture of my graveyard haunt to help draw some interest to my house. I'm hoping that all my neighbors, who have this app will see my Event, and stop by with their kids.

This is my first time using the app, so I won't know until next weekend to see if it works for not. So here's to hoping!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am glad that you did not quit on Halloween. It only takes that first look of amazement for us to feel like we accomplished our goal. We may get a lot more than 16 TOT's but we would still do it the same because we love it. Halloween on!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. Once I stop feeling like a kid that just scarfed down 2 giant pillowcases of candy, I'll be fine. Lol. I think Mike scared me more when I called to tell him.... My normally calm and cool guy started laughing and didn't stop. Oh crap!
WWWench, lol about your zombie comment!
ToddandMelissa, I am glad we didn't quit either. And we probably would have still done a smaller display of just key pieces. Our yard is an involved setup - it's a mixed theme presented almost like a monster neighborhood so a variety of scenes setup so they don't fight each other. (or at least we don't think they do, lol.)

·
Registered
457 Posts
MC I am Sorry but......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Good news though. Congrats and have fun with it.

·
Registered
14,083 Posts
Funny thing about that, when it rains it can pour. Enjoy the rain! Any idea how much candy you'll need now?

So, what's the plan for the haunt? Have you posted any photos yet?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow...that's awesome. That's great news!

To also stimulate foot traffic on our block, I downloaded the Nextdoor app to my phone (has anyone used or heard of this?). It's an app designed to better communicate with people in your neighborhood. You download the app and enter in your address. Then the app will automatically place you in a "forum" with people who live in your neighborhood. There people can post things that they're selling, need help with something, etc...Another thing you can do is post an Event. It's almost like a Craig's List just your neighborhood.

So on the app I posted a Trick or Treating event for 10/31, basically advertising that I'll be giving away full-sized candy bars for Trick or Treaters. On the event I was able to post a picture of my graveyard haunt to help draw some interest to my house. I'm hoping that all my neighbors, who have this app will see my Event, and stop by with their kids.

This is my first time using the app, so I won't know until next weekend to see if it works for not. So here's to hoping!
Let me know how it works I might give it a try if it works well. Last year we got a total of 3 tots (we'd just moved) so hoping this years turn out is better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This will be my 2nd year in my new neighborhood. My old place the kids use to get upset the few times I didnt do my haunted garage. We usually got 100+ kids. Last year at the new place we got around 75. I'm expecting quite a few more (weather permitting) and am already getting a bit of attention because of my atmosfear videos. I have 3 set up now and will have 6 by the end of the week. :)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
"Newspaper"... my recent experience has shown that newspaper.. is an almost totally dead beast. Barely a mere shadow of it's former self.
If they maintain a free on-line presence... it might be different, but still.. who reads newspapers?
I would like to hear that it did "work" for you..time will tell.
My Haunt got a tremendous "Boost" from a small line 25 yrs. ago in The Chicago Tribune. Just a few years ago they had a large article with many photos and "nobody" saw it.
A few years before that they had to cancel sending a photographer here to accompany a writer (Who already had made a B^B reservation because they could"'t afford to pay the photographer!
I do hope I turn out to be wrong about this for your sake.........
I had to drive 25 miles to find a copy of the Tribune that I was featured in,the Gas Station only got in 3 copies a day to sell in a town of 25,000.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree Gym that newspaper is a dead beast usually. However the one section that I find still gets a lot of attention (either in person or the online version) is the 'Happenings' section especially at the various holidays - example all the fireworks displays for July 4th. An Halloween article within that section is where we were included and that's why I think it may make a difference despite it being newspaper.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
A man answering the phone for me got really cranky and vulgar.. he was answering for my Haunt,but the newspaper printed HIS phone number by mistake. He lived 90 miles away from me... lickily! (Like it was MY FAULT? )

·
Registered
349 Posts
Best of luck to you. I have wished for a few more TOTs, but whenever anyone suggests that they might promote my haunt in a large forum, I ask them not to. I don't need the pressure of 100s of people expecting more than I can deliver.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts