Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might not look like much yet, but hopefully with a roof and porch, this'll resemble an old shack on the bayou. This is 2 panels that'll be bolted together and, as soon as I figure out how, the roof and "porch" will also just bolt together so it can be stored in the off season. Specs are 5'x8' per panel. And hopefully when I get more old wood I'll be able to expand it so it'll cover the entire front of the garage.

My hope for this is that'll it'll be my haunt entrance but I don't have enough stuff to do a full walkthrough just yet...

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
That looks great! I went to college down in New Orleans and worked at the zoo...they had a "Louisiana Swamp" exhibit with a little shack that looked SO much like this! Can't wait to see it all set up and ready to rock

·
Banned
334 Posts
I resemble that remark DeadLee, haha. Looking good. I can smell the nutria gumbo cook'en now. Be sure to post some finished pics.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Looking good. We help our parks and rec with a Haunted Swamp each year. Parks gives haunted boat rides in the indoor pool with divers in the water then people go through our haunted house in the basement. I've wanted to do a swamp shack since our first year. This may inspire me to do so. Can't wait to see more.

·
Registered
397 Posts
this looks great.
tried to get local pro haunt to do this in a couple of areas where they were displaying outsdes of buildings and an old west zombie cowboy area.

walking up on a facade like this in the dim light would be creepy enough without a scare.

great work.

keith.

View attachment 179077

Here's my progress so far. Got the door mounted, the rest of the wood slats screwed down and a diluted black paint wash on all of the lighter wood chunks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took an extra day off for a 4 day weekend so I could get something accomplished. There's still a few fit & finish items to take care of which I'll ask opinions on below -

Shack Roof.jpg
So here's the shake shingle roof - I won't go into details on how long it took to figure out the angle/hypotenuse thing (geometry class was long ago....)

Shack Complete.jpg

And the end result - front lit

Shack at Night C.jpg

Back lit with a green flood lamp

(That post in the middle is just a temporary brace. I have to have my garage door open in order to brace it to the back side of the door frame - didn't really want to drill into the stucco...)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shack Guts.jpg

So this is the back side. I stapled a thin packing foam from my son's crib onto the paneling to dissipate the lighting that seeps through the cracks.

So here's where I ask for opinions - do I leave it dark behind and front lit or back light it? Or maybe do a back light with a strobe? And what little details should I add? I was thinking of moss and I have a couple lanterns I'll be hanging off the underside of the roof - but what else can I do to really make it stand out?

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Back lit looks great, but a little ambient lighting in front, definitely. And fog? A MUST.

A "Bayou Shack" in Utah... That's what I love about Hallowe'en, anything goes. It looks great, Lee.

·
Evil Wizard
2,169 Posts
And what little details should I add? I was thinking of moss and I have a couple lanterns I'll be hanging off the underside of the roof - but what else can I do to really make it stand out?
Might want to also hang some small chicken bones with some (appropriately aged) twine from the rafters too.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Your shack is awesome and the green looks really cool.

I put moss, snakes, rats, small barrel with a skelly sitting on it, skulls, a boars head, a cage with a vulture in it, lanterns, stuffed roosters.......Mine is a voodoo in the bayou theme.... I put a witch in one corner with a strobe light on her. You can see her through the window.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I love that it almost looks like a skull with the windows as eyes and the door as the mouth. Great job!!
Took an extra day off for a 4 day weekend so I could get something accomplished. There's still a few fit & finish items to take care of which I'll ask opinions on below -

View attachment 181265
So here's the shake shingle roof - I won't go into details on how long it took to figure out the angle/hypotenuse thing (geometry class was long ago....)

View attachment 181266

And the end result - front lit

View attachment 181267

Back lit with a green flood lamp

(That post in the middle is just a temporary brace. I have to have my garage door open in order to brace it to the back side of the door frame - didn't really want to drill into the stucco...)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts