Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I need help/suggestions on lighting the bathroom. I cannot change the actual bulb in the fixture (I have been forbidden from touching it because last time the bulb was changed it almost broke the wiring), so my options are limited...

The fixture around the bulb is basically a yellowish bowl...I'm wondering if I can paint it with something that won't overheat and scorch, and that can be easily cleared off afterwards - any ideas?

We have no sockets in there, so no chance of using fairy lights instead, or anything that plugs in.

My husband doesn't want me to make it too dark because he worries that drunk men will struggle to hit the loo if it's too dim, but I am desperate to make it a little bit more dark/dingy in there, as I've made blood splattered rug, towels, pedistal mat and shower curtain, and they just don't look very impressive in a brightly lit yellow/white bathroom!!!! (Ok, they look ok, but not what I want LOL).

If it helps get an idea in any way, the bathroom is very, very small (i.e. from door to window is the length of a bath, and the room is just wide enough to have the toilet, boxed in sink unit then bath). It is 1/2 white tiles, 1/2 yellow paint.

All suggestions welcomed, I know lots of you are fantastically creative :)

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
I would hang black creepy cloth between the ceiling and the light fixture to darken the room and continue to hang it around the room to add ambience.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Im planning to hang creepy cloth down from the ceiling all the way around my light fixture but not actually touching it. Not sure if it'll work or not but thats my plan as of now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You could also maybe get those battery operated flicker candles, or something battery operated that would add a dim or flickering light since you don't have outlets and forgo the light you don't like altogether.

(Craft stores have lots of flickering fake candles, both tea light and taller sized)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the idea of the flicker lights. The biggest problem I foresee is that people will automatically reach for the light switch when they enter the room, especially after a drink or two, and the effect will be lost...unless maybe I could tie the pull cord up close to the ceilng so most people couldn't reach it...now theres an idea :)

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
Small bathroom, no electrical outlets, and a pullcord for a light-switch? Sounds like my vacation in the UK. Are you "across the pond?":p

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL, I am indeed :D

Although my bathroom is ridiculously small, even for over here!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts