Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of building a fairly large scale bat and I was wondering if anybody had suggestions as to what I should use for the wings? I want something that is going to be weather resistant and able to stand up to the wind. The structure of the bat will be pvc pipe, along with clear tubing for the bottom edge of the wing.

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Dyed black cheesecloth?
Fabric?
tarp?
Black plastic (garden fabric or even black garbage bag)?

The cheesecloth would likely be the easiest to work with, as it will be less likely to catch wind (depending on if you use one layer or use multiple layers so it looks more opaque - but it likely will look pretty membrane-like with one/two layers dyed black). But any of those are workable for bat wings

Registered
There are several types of weed cloth that could work well. They already come in blacks, greys, and browns and all are made to perform in harsh conditions. They also come in different weights (cloth thickness) Some are plastic based and are a little tougher to hot glue, and others are a synthetic cloth.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
hmm, I hadn't thought about shower curtains but that might be my best bet. They would probably hold grommets pretty well too. I want the wings to last multiple years including being disassembled for storage.

Registered
What about plastic that is heat gunned to shrink? Not sure how we it works on a larger wingspan, but it worked well on the skeleton bat we corpsed last year. With clear plastic, you would have to darken it with stain or something, but using black plastic my look good on its own (after shrinking).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts