Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on potterybarnkids site today and I am thinking I might make one it looks fairly easy concept wise and could be done using spiders instead of bats even. any suggestions on what to use for the rings? I was thinking possibly the hoops you use for embroidery. I also saw several advent type calendars for halloween anyone do those and if so what do u make urs out of?

Pottery Barn Kids | Bat Chandelier

·
Registered
66 Posts
Holy lord, I can't believe how expensive that things is...that is just friggin ridiculous.
Embroidery hoops are probably your best bet, and it would probably look loads better with spiders instead. I would add sparkles just to give it some glitz, or maybe some bead work, maybe even a splash of colour; it just looks a little plain to me. Good luck! I'd like to see the end result XD

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's what i was thinking too....... glittery and beady(everything seems glittery this year. not sure how to get the hoops to stay togeather or if the metal parts are able to come off of them. I completely agree everything I saw on their kids halloween section that came from was astronomically priced. I liked the concept just not their end product, but I think it could end up great :)

I'm also thinking maybe doing it as skulls not sure which I will do.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
oooh, that's a neat idea!! I would like to incorporate that into my "Witches Kitchen"....hhmm,wonder what I could put on it....any ideas?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm also thinking maybe doing it as skulls not sure which I will do.
It's funny that you mention that because originally when I tried envisioning a different version of the chandelier I pictured small skull beads, so I think that would be pretty sweet. At my dollar store last year there were plastic skeleton hands, so I think maybe it would be interesting to alternate from skulls to skeleton parts, it all depends on what you have available to you. I still like the spider idea, but that's just because I own a tarantula so I have a soft spot for them lol. What did you plan on using for the spiders? Were you aiming to make your own?
As for the metal pieces on the embroidery hoops I'm really not sure, I haven't looked at one in ages. I think they're just nailed on (?) if you can remove them, you could try taping it back together, and then using a glue gun wrap ribbon around the hoops to conceal the tape as well as get the same look as the chandelier pictured.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great idea about the glue gun and ribbon. I was thinking of doing lines of spiders climbing up and or down (small black ring spiders) and some large ones intermingled if I do those. If I go with skulls I might do the skull beads from dollar tree with the parts like you were mentioning it could turn out great if the first one works out well maybe I'll do two. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would use tubing from the hardware store; pex tubes or clear hot water tubes, whatever bent, was pliable and suited your needs or if you wanted bigger, you could use pipe wrap too. Even a rope, stiffened with wire would work. All of these things are already rounded unlike an embroidery hoop which is flat on the sides. The metal parts could be snapped off although only the outer part of the hoop has the parts, the inside part is smooth.

Pretty interesting item but they sure want an arm and a leg for it!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I know Wal-Mart and most craft stores have metal rings from 2" up to 18". Not really sure what they are ment for but I use to use them to make dream catchers.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Those metal fruit and vegetable hangers are three tiered and really cheap. You can often find them at the dollar store. You could take the metal basket part off and still have the three rings all hooked together, ready to hang. Here is a picture of one, I hope this works as I haven't done this before....Sorry if it doesn't. But check the dollar tree as the one here carries them.
http://img01.static-nextag.com/image/Danesco-Wire-3tier-Hanging/1/000/006/179/401/617940133.jpg
This would be easy to use and very adjustable as to how you wanted the tiers to hang.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You can buy beading chandeliers at firemountaingems.com and they are fairly cheap. No modification needed and then you can string it, and wrap ribbon around the hoops. It would make life so much easier. Search under Bead Frames.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will definatly check that out. I had so much to do this year I ran out of time, but I still really want to make one. Thanks for the info. :)

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
did you see the chandilier is on sale for $19.99 now. that to me seems a descent price. would still be fun to make your own though. print off a picture of it and take it into your local craft store. they might have other ideas. i love all the suggestions of spiders, skeletons and such. what if you started with a say big skeleton head, and then had the rest of the chandilier coming off of that?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts