Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished my barrel fire prop tonight. It was very easy to make. I got a 55 gallon steel drum for free off craiglist and cut it down about to about 2/3rds size with an angle grinder and cutting wheel. I also smoothed out the cut edge and drilled a hole for the wires. I got three basic plastic lamp holders from Home Depot (about $1.25 each), wired them up and attached them to a wood base. The constant light is an orange fluorescent "Party bulb" and the flicker effect comes from orange and red incandescent bulbs. The flickering is driven of a Christmas Tree F/X box which is connected to an MP3 player. I found a bunch of good fire sound effects on the web. A pair of cheap amplified computer speakers tops it off.

It looks and sounds quite good. Visually, it's almost indistinguishable from a real fire (sans sparks). The sound isn't perfect but it's very close. This will be the center of my monster bum fire scene... two stuffed dummies and a person in costume who will jump up and scare people. They'll all be roasting body parts on sticks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I like it...put that inside a haunt and, if realistic enough, would make me worry about the place catching on fire...if not that, at least fire is always a nice touch seeming to add an ambiance of trouble to come...LOL

·
Registered
298 Posts
Nicely done! Great idea!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Very impressive!

·
Registered
385 Posts
i borrow this during the summer to sit by near the pool at night? everyone things that a fire after a night swim party would be great, but normally the extra heat is not needed here in SoCalif! this would be perfect....

good job!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts