Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's something new I came up with for Halloween 2009.

I ended up driving all over town hunting up enough different colored plastic pumpkin pails, collecting them from Target, Sears Essentials, Walmart, and cleaning out the entire stock of two Toys R Us stores. I bolted the bottom row of pails to a strip of wood that I painted white (to match the porch rail) and zip tied the strip to the rail. I attached the other pails by drilling small holes near the top of each pail - one on either side - and used colored zip ties to lock each pail to the one beneath and above it.

For more support, I also zip tied each pail of the top row to the pail beside it, and then anchored the two pails on the far sides to the upright rails (with more zip ties of course).

Though the pic I've included was shot in the daylight and doesn't show the unit to its best effect, each pumpkin was lighted (some blinking) and highly visible. I melted a hole into the back side of each pail and inserted a Christmas light.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I'd like to see a night pic...I should think it looks very effective.:)

It will also be a good clue for the men in white coats when they come looking for the looney that has been running around buying up the town's supply of pumpkin pails....
:p:D:D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Great (and rather iconic) idea! If you don't mind, I'd love to do something along these lines eventually, and I could see whole lantern columns and walls done like this.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
It does look rather effective when lit.
As ZM says, Very iconic and lot's of possibilities.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,860 Posts
Oh wow - that is so cool and such a great use for those. I see tons of them on sale still around Halloween, but hardly any TOTs show up carrying them (too small I guess now).

I could see making a whole wall out of them, using a single stack as columns, the idea is just genius. :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again everybody for all the kind words. For some reason I imagine a store making a display like this in their window. Luckily I have a big room over the garage where I can store them and don't trip over them too often.

·
Registered
11 Posts
thats a looks great, my grand kids have been useing pails as path markers in ower haunted woods . They put some pea gravel in the bottom so they dont blow away , some set alond the edge of the path and some hang in the branches ,we light them with battery powered tea lights so there is no chance of getting burnd or starting a fire. here is a pic of my grand son with some lighted pails behind him.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
That's a terrific look. I know just the spot for something like that at our place next year, and I've been racking my brain for a novel way to hemorrhage money for Halloween next year.
Thanks for sharing!

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
gramma, your grandson is adorable. your path liners sounds cool as well. i saw where someone just placed lit pumpkins around their cemetary. i thought that was cool too. although this pumpkin wall is tops

1 - 20 of 34 Posts