Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Halloween Elitist
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are band saws a good addition to a haunters collection of tools? I saw a nice looking one at a pawn shop with legs for $70 bucks. I have a jig saw, would I get alot of use out of the band saw? I don't have a particular need, I just want to know if it would be practical for a home haunter. Just trying to make it a point that I don't plan on doing woodworking, just from a Halloween standpoint. Any advice would be appreciated

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
For me, I like the convenience of a band saw for quick cuts on hand held items - I don't have to worry about clamping anything down, having anything hanging over or dropping once cut, or breaking off before the cut is finished.
I also like that a band saw can cut softer metal as well as wood without having to change blades (aluminum, done slowly, cuts well on a band saw - alloys and harder metals are probably a bit too tough for a regular band saw blade).
...and of course, the ability to make curved cuts easily is a plus.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I just have a dinky little 9" Ryobi (Ryobi - 9" band saw).

Keep the blade taut, as when it loosens (which it will - it's in the nature of the tool), the blade will have a mind of its own on the line it wants to cut (lots of blade drift). If bad enough, it could cause the blade to snap.

I've never broken a blade on mine yet, so it's a good little machine.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I remember correctly, the one I saw was a delta, I'm going back tomorrow to have another look at it, thanks for your help UJ

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Bought a new Delta table-top model for $75 from Home Depot a few years back. Nice for fast cuts and adjustments!

·
Registered
456 Posts
The table top model that boo has would be handy to have. I love tools, and have to be really careful not to buy more tool than I need lol. A small one would be good for making small props and such. If you know someone that already has a bandsaw that they will let you use from time to time would be cool. But if you are going to use it farly regularly a table top one might be good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts