Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Peeps....

Just wondering if any of you have a ban list for their haunt?...

I have settled on one, our neighbour...

Yes the classic ideal is you are friends with everyone in your neighbourhood, but not in my case....

Ever since we moved house to Brighton we were not welcomed by our neighbour...
They are always up to something...
Some things they have done:

~ Thrown mice over our fence into where our chickens are...
~ Sprayed the water hose over the fence when we are outside...
~ Slingshot ball bearings at our garden when we are out there...

and the list goes on and on....

We have had the police round because of them, and not afraid to again....

Enough about me...

Do any of you guys have ban lists...

Ruggerz

·
Registered
576 Posts
Oh man, that would create quite a tension. I assume you've tried to reason with him or talk to him with no avail. Maybe use a backyard security camera to record his antics and turn them into police.

I guess I'm lucky, we all get along here, although my very friendly and religious neighbors would probably wish I kept my garage door closed, and their children would stop walking over asking me what I'm building this time.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
We used to have a 65 year old woman whose yorkshire terriers killed lots of our chickens and mowed her lawn in her underwear, she has just moved we will see what the new neighbour is like.

·
Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
If I could ban half my neighbors, I totally would. They don't appreciate our set (and one of them even called the homeowners association on us 2 yrs ago). My parents (where we do our haunt) got a cease and desist letter telling them that halloween decorations were permitted between Oct 1st, and November 5th ONLY... What is that?? So now we make sure that our stuff goes UP on Oct 1st, and doesn't come down until Nov 5th.... (we had put up some of the decor in September, and not taken it all down until just before Thanksgiving that year)...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Throwing mice at chickens is weird. Give them some of their medicine and slingshot mice back at them. Or better yet, put mice or ball bearings in their bag when they trick or treat.

·
Haverghast Asylum warden.
799 Posts
If I could ban half my neighbors, I totally would. They don't appreciate our set (and one of them even called the homeowners association on us 2 yrs ago). My parents (where we do our haunt) got a cease and desist letter telling them that halloween decorations were permitted between Oct 1st, and November 5th ONLY... What is that?? So now we make sure that our stuff goes UP on Oct 1st, and doesn't come down until Nov 5th.... (we had put up some of the decor in September, and not taken it all down until just before Thanksgiving that year)...

Same deal here, with a few differences.

1. we were stopped by the city instead of a HOA ( Not sure witch is scarier)

2. Are dates are the 17th Of OCT - The 3rd of NOV.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
We used to have a 65 year old woman whose yorkshire terriers killed lots of our chickens and mowed her lawn in her underwear....
Hmmm...perhaps thats why the neighbours don't speak to us. Mind you, they do occasionally nod, since Mrs Samedi has started wearing underwear.
:D
For the most part our neighbours are o.k. One lady up the street always makes a donation of treats for the TOT's and most of them will drop by during the course of the evening for a look round.
We have had complaints in the past about children screaming but some people are only happy when they're complaining.
We have no banned list. Everybody is welcome at Samedi Manor on Halloween. if it got to the stage where we had to ban somebody, they would be left in no doubt that they would not be welcome back.
I haven't been to Brighton for many years..used to be such a nice place.
didn't have neighbours chucking Mice at each other back then...:(

pm me the address pal, I'll get a couple of the minions to pop down there and do something unspeakable through their letterbox....
:):)

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Sounds like many of you have some terrible neighbors, especially ruggerz (that's really messed up:(). Most of the people around here are pretty decent, and, since we decorate the yard and don't have anything indoors, there's really no way to ban anyone from coming up to trick-or- treat. My mother and I have had some true a-holes, one of which wanted to start a fight with me when I was a teen over scaring his young daughter, who was supposedly dressed as a ghost, but looked more like a Klan member:rolleyes: If someone thinks it's too scary, just walk on by...How hard is that?

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
My immediate neighbors are very supportive of my going "all out" for Halloween. I actually joined the Homeowners Association this year to make myself and my haunt more known to the development and the "people in charge". So far, the Homeowners Association is very supportive. This year they said they will even let me put a short blurb in the neighborhood newsletter in October.

·
Haverghast Asylum warden.
799 Posts
Wow! Your city has regulations regarding when Halloween decorations can be out? That's painfully restrictive.

They were not after our decorations. They were after us for the fact that we build a big haunted house on our front lawn. As for yard decorations I can start that when ever I want. I just can't have any structure before the 17th. Does not really help me much since most of our decore goes in the haunt it'self. It's all good thought, I just have even thing preped and ready to go. I'm just glad I was not shut down:)

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I'm not sure how your HOA's work over in the States...Are they a kind of neighborhood council or something along those lines, or a kind of Residents commitee for a specific area. Does it matter if your property is privately owned or rented? How much power do they have?
Here in the UK, private property is private property. I own my property outright, so If I wanted to keep my stuff up 365 days a year, in theory I could, providing obviously that they weren't deemed to be dangerous, a nuisance or stopping others from "enjoying" their property.
If neighbours felt that was the case, they would have to take legal proceedings and gain a court ruling to force me to take them down.
I'm not suggesting anybody fight against any local bylaws. Homeowners Associations or anything like that, I'm just interested to know how things work Stateside..

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
In my neighborhood, Halloween actually brings out the best in everyone, people that you barely see all year make it a point to walk down and compliment us on the yard...

·
Registered
141 Posts
To stir-fry dog, heat a small amount of oil in a wok. Cut dog into small cubes, then place in wok and brown evenly. When dog is brown, add chopped broccoli, snap peas, carrots, and soy sauce. Cover and let steam. Serve with rice wine.

·
Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
redrom - that is truly disturbing (and just a little bit funny)
Baron - in my parents neighborhood (where we build our set since I live in an apartment), the HOA has quite a bit of power, and will fine those not in compliance if you've been warned for something, and not taken care of it. My parents have had about 25 warning letters over the last 15 years, and each one irritates them more and more. Someone actually reported them when we had our jetski-on-a-trailer parked in the driveway for 2 days when we were taking it out to the bay...They went as far as to TAKE A PICTURE of it, and send it in. I don't know how a jet ski would interupt someone's enjoyment of their property, but apparently it made them mad enough to call the HOA on us. We also got a letter telling us that our DEAD GRASS (Due to Drought and being told not to water as much), had to be replaced or face a fine... It's really stupid sometimes. When I buy a house, I will make darn sure there is NO HOA to deal with. At least in my parents neighborhood they try to prevent you from having any FUN with your house and yard.... Even Christmas Decor is regulated... (Can't be put up before Thanksgiving, and must be removed by Jan 15)....

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Even Christmas Decor is regulated... (Can't be put up before Thanksgiving, and must be removed by Jan 15)....
Well, I'll agree with your HOA on that one...Christmas stuff shouldn't be up before Thanskgiving...although I think it's okay to put up lights as long as you don't turn them on. But then again, I don't think you in San Diego have to worry about a blizzard hitting after Thanksgiving, where us in snow country want to get up on the roof before the ice does. But all in all HOA just sound like fun killers and I'm glad we don't have one

1 - 20 of 36 Posts