Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided that I want lots of balloons for my party this year.

(because they all float down here Georgie, see party theme thread : http://www.halloweenforum.com/party-ideas-experiences-recipes/124306-2013-stephen-king-theme-w-slight-carrie-focus.html )

I would like to have about 60 balloons total (30 minimum)

So far I figure my options are:

Buy a disposable helium tank for about $35 (not willing to buy the $50 one) and only have about 30 balloons... according to the reviews, they float for about 5 hours... so only about the first 3 hrs of the party since I'd have to do them early.

Rent a helium tank. I looked on a few sites and could not find one to rent. Anyone done this? Would they float longer? Cost?

Buy already heliumed up balloons from Party City - this would be such a hassle trying to get them home in my 4 door pontiac g6... multiple trips would have to be made. I assume this would be more expensive but I'm not sure.

Any ideas? Experiences?

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Hmm, well you could hang them from the ceiling on string and put a couple pennies in each. YOu could make them all uniform or at different lengths. This could look cool for your party because it might give the appearance that something is not quite right. You could go to a party supply store and buy balloon holders like pumpkinpie mentioned. You can use dry ice or hydrogen - http://www.pinterest.com/pin/238901955206350120/

On a side note, we should all stop using helium. My husband is in the gas and welding industry. He said that helium is a natural U.S. resource that is in dwindling supply. Once it's gone, that is it. This is bad because the medical industry uses helium for MRIs and other equipment uses. Why we've been wasting it on balloons all these years is really a mystery. When your grandchildren ask you about the days when helium existed, you can tell them how it was so cheap, we'd put them in balloons and watch them float away. Or used it to talk funny. http://www.dvice.com/archives/2012/09/scientists_hate.php

Attachments

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,335 Posts
Latex balloons don't hold helium as well as mylar ballons so you could switch to mylar. They're more expensive but they'd last longer. Also latex is subject to fluctuations in the heat & cold inside & out. If you get it too hot inside they could all end up on the floor in an hour.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,581 Posts
You can rent helium tanks from places like Party City (any place that has "party" in the title would have them I would think).

A few years ago, I found a product called Hi-Float, that you coat insides of latex balloons with, and they will stay up longer. It's available at most party stores and even Oriental Trading and Amazon (the reviews are all saying days instead of hours worth of float). You can also do a cool spiderweb effect inside clear balloons with the stuff (if you end up buying, it's nice to have other Halloween options!):

·
Registered
490 Posts
I use HI-float when I am inflating them myself or when I have them inflated for me. It will make the balloons last at least 24 hours but typically it's been much longer. I'm in Florida and an event planner without Hi-float helium in a latex balloon sometimes won't last 3 hours before starting to fall when a client wants balloons I will not use them without HI-float. If you are crunched for time you may want to check and see if there is anyone in your area that rent's tanks some company's will come to you and inflate them for you on site for a nominal fee.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great! Yes, HI-Float seems the way to go!

I like the spiderweb thing and the upside down thing in neat too!

I had planned to have a lot of blood splattered white balloons on the living room ceiling but we have a ceiling fan... I hope that doesn't instantly pop them all. I would think it would blow them away from the fan but ... I don't know... Any experiences with that?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just a note on time. I had a bunch of balloons last year and rented a tank. I was trying to wait closer to party time and still get other things ready. Doing it within the hours before the party was time consuming and a tad stressful. I did have a bunch, but still way longer to set up than I planned. The Hi float way sounds like the way to go! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Dawnski is totally right about helium dwindling!

Last year I wanted to fill some giant (36") balloons for my wedding and called probably 15+ places in town that I could think of for Helium. They all told me that there was a shortage of helium and couldn't help me. Party City & Michaels didn't even have the mini tanks to buy. (I have seen quite a few around this year though...)

I had never realized that helium is something we could run out of. I was actually pretty shocked to hear that!

That being said...HI-Float does help for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
Kerimonster
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing