Halloween Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I tried being nice. But it has gotten me nowhere. On the 5th, I ordered two costumes from bucostumes.com. They were guaranteed delivery two days ago. Beginning of the week I called because I had not received a shipping notice. It hadn't even left the warehouse! The rep promised a partial shipping refund. Which did happen. And couriered service. Which did not happen. Told me to call back if nothing changed. Nothing changed, called back. Asked for a manager. Got hung up on. Called back. (please keep in mind each call is at least half an hour wait time, often longer to fet a rep). Explained the situation and said I wanted to speak with a manager. Rep refused, saying she wanted to try to help first. I told her I had had one rep who "helped" previously, and another that had hung up on me so I wanted to speak to a manager instead. Guess what? Another hang up. Finally (after another 30 minute wait) got a rep willing to help. He gave us his representative number so if more issues arose, we coupd call and ask for him. They said (yet again, and in a conference call with a manager) that the rest of my shipping charges would be refunded and that it would be sent courier yesterday and that they would email shipping info. Today....still no tracking number, no email notification of another refund. We call back. Another long wait. Get a rep. Husband gives previous reps number and gives scenario about how we are to ask for him. Rep now on the phone refuses to let him speak to another rep or a manager. Puts him on hold for 25 minutes. Comes back to say what we already know....STILL hasn't been shipped, no refund made. We can't talk to a manager, and they are making the same empty "promises" of the product being couriered out today.
At this point...I'm done being nice. They clearly do NOT care abput their customers. Which is sad. In the past we have used buy costumes numerous times and it was always excellent quality, service, etc. Not sure what happened. BUT I tried being nice with them. Time and time again. Now...I'm posting here to give you all a heads up too, just in case they send any of you on this wild goose chase. So terribly disappointed, and at this point, I just want the darn costumes we ordered. My boys fell in love with the costumes, and we have looked locally to no avail.
So...now I'm done being nice. Now they get the witch. :D

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
Feel bad for you and it sounds like a nightmare getting an answer on when it will ship. I wonder what the real problem is...like out of stock, waiting for new shipments to come in and don't want to say, etc. I can't recall having a bad experience with them in my past dealings. how frustrating for the kids too. Was this a popular costume this year and on sale?

BTW I absolutely hate being in these phone cues. Those that give you an estimated waiting time are a bit better but not much. Hubby and I have been on hold for long periods and then disconnected and that's just the worst.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked if it was out of stock. They said it is in stock, just hasn't been processed in the warehouse. That was 11 days ago. They processed my money on the first day though! I'm mostly upset that we haven't received the costumes. AND that my "go to" for costumes throughout the year has turned into something such a pain in the derriere. I would always always order from them first even despite having a huge spirit halloween and halloween alley here locally. I still preferred the prices, selection etc of buy costumes. I even recommend it all.the.time. I really don't feel like I want to try them again after this kerfuffle though. I just want my costumes :'(

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I filed a complaint with the better business bureau of WI state. I didn't know what else to do. The refunds promised weren't given, and I don't have the item. Hopefully we will get them before halloween, and if not, hopefully the bbb can get my money back.

1,539 Posts
I've never had a problem with them. That being said it seems more and more the "call" centers are no where near or have much to do with what's happening in the warehouses. One of those left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing. Everyone takes what the computer says is in stock as the truth when in actuality that info is only as good as the last person who entered the info or didn't as the case may be. TOO many times I've been told by an employee that the computer says we have 2 or so in stock only to find they were sold out weeks ago. Worse yet is that while many of these places have different names they all just happen to be owned by a few "parent" companies all using the same warehouse. I feel for you on the wasted never ending phone calls that are solved on their end by hanging up... err opps being accidentally (on purpose) disconnected, unfulfilled promises of I'll fix it then let down with a thud, only to start the whole thing over again. You get to a point you NEED to throttle someone.... and when your kids are in the mix it's even worse.

I hope the Halloween sprites are with you and your package arrives in time.

1,539 Posts
If you paid buy credit card, you can dispute the charge.
Yes do get your credit card company involved. .... A wicked thought if you just have to have the items maybe attempting a reorder. Ask a friend or other family member to make a reorder for you then see what happens...What's the worse that can happen they both arrive... then just send on back. It's a wick thought anyway.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes do get your credit card company involved. .... A wicked thought if you just have to have the items maybe attempting a reorder. Ask a friend or other family member to make a reorder for you then see what happens...What's the worse that can happen they both arrive... then just send on back. It's a wick thought anyway.
My worry then is that we are both out the money and no refunds happening haha. They have said money would be refunded and that hasn't happened either. It was an expensive order, so I don't want to put someone else in the position to be out the money with no refund or no product. If I had more faith in their refunding policy I would try it, but right now I'm just feeling burned. That said. We are going to bring the boys to spirit halloween and halloween alley today. (they need costumes for a party they are attending tomorrow...but will likely now wear something from their own dress up collection.) we will hold the costumes not worn until the preferred ones come. If the ones from buycostumes come, we will return the others to the store. If buycostumes doesnt come, at least we will have a plan b for costumes. If they dont come, I can at least dispute the charges. But for now I'm on a mission to find costumes they will enjoy as a plan b. I'm just really really disappointed in buycostumes. We had dealt with them for years with nary a hiccup. And now this. It sucks to have a favorite go completely to the other side of the spectrum, but that's where I am right now. :(

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
I'm pretty sure I remember asking Customer Service once to check stock on a sale item that I wanted to order in multi quantities (the Quartermaster POTC mask I believe that was on deep discount) and didn't want my order to be cancelled completely if there wasn't sufficient stock to fill it. I'm pretty sure it was BC that I asked. I remember the rep saying the warehouse wasn't where they were and I asked if they couldn't call up the warehouse manager and ask someone to check. Can't remember exactly what happened. I did get all of the masks I ordered. But I don't think CS can easily check on things. I was once told that they get orders in by phone, computer and mail and people also drop out if their cc doesn't process, so getting an accurate count isn't as easy as it sounds like it should be. That being said it's still not good customer service given what you've told us of your phone experience with them.

In any event I just got an email tonight from them of all companies on a bump and go eyeball prop I had ordered and received at the beginning of the season. Price dropped $10 now and if I ordered today I could get an additional 20% off. Kind of thought gee that's funny to contact me about something I already received. However, I thought about it and yeah two traveling detached eyeballs for my mad lab sounds great. Like most of you here I haven't had problems with them, and hopefully the order reaches me before halloween (expected delivery 10/27). I did also want to mention that it seems like their whole internet ordering process has changed because the order confirmation I got from them and the receipt is totally redone from the way it has looked in the past. It may be that they've been upgrading their system.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update...after countless hours spent onthe phone, I received one costume yesterday.the other they cancelled. They didn't do anything until I placed a complaint with the better business bureau. Then suddenly they were giving me a full refund, and said I could keep the costume. I am still waiting on a partial refund, as they decided to refund me in six separate installments...wth? Like I said...I have used them countless times in the past (for about 8 years now for costumes, accessories etc) and even had problems arise inthe past which were dealt with quickly and pleasantly. Super upset to have had this poor of customer service. But....one look on social media says I wasn't the only one who experienced this. It sewms they have screwed over literally hundreds of people this season. (and that is only the ones actually commenting on facebook and social media). I know when things are outsourced that mistakes happen, but it shouldn't take that long, that many calls, and that many hours spent trying to get them to fix their mistake. They took our number and said someone would call back, and no one ever did. So we had to continue calling. They had even lied about what was refunded at one point. They said I had been refunded in full, when all that was refunded was a portion of my initial payment. We had to go buy back up costumes from our local spirit halloween (and this late in the game qe were lucky to find one! Slim pickings were left in store!)

They have put a disclaimer on their fb page saying they tried to upgrade their systems, but it seems like they failed drastically if they have failed that many people. Maybe sometimes expansion isn't a good idea if it completely turns your business on it's head. This experience has unfortunately left a super bad taste in my mouth, and I won't be returning to buy from them any longer. Sad that such a great store with excellent customer service in the past has fallen down so drastically. :( Hopefully they will get things back on track and become what they once were. Just thought I would give an update. Thanks folka for hearing me out.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,258 Posts
I've never had a problem with them. That being said it seems more and more the "call" centers are no where near or have much to do with what's happening in the warehouses. One of those left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing. Everyone takes what the computer says is in stock as the truth when in actuality that info is only as good as the last person who entered the info or didn't as the case may be. TOO many times I've been told by an employee that the computer says we have 2 or so in stock only to find they were sold out weeks ago. Worse yet is that while many of these places have different names they all just happen to be owned by a few "parent" companies all using the same warehouse. I feel for you on the wasted never ending phone calls that are solved on their end by hanging up... err opps being accidentally (on purpose) disconnected, unfulfilled promises of I'll fix it then let down with a thud, only to start the whole thing over again. You get to a point you NEED to throttle someone.... and when your kids are in the mix it's even worse.

I hope the Halloween sprites are with you and your package arrives in time.
Ditto - I have been looking for pose n stays at my local cvs' and when they tell me store such and such has it, I get there, or I call, none.

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
Moony I was wondering the other day what happened with your situation. Man, really sorry for you. I think any company that tries upgrading their computer system software near any major holiday should fire their computer department or tech service they use for it. I knew their email format and invoice format looked different from before. They probably had hoped to be ready for Christmas and in the process did damage to their Halloween buyers. Six separate payments? Gotta ask were those for 6 costumes or were they making 6 installments like they couldn't afford to pay you? That sounds so bizarre.

I will say that the sale Bump and Go prop I ordered shortly after you posted did ship and I'll have tomorrow since UPS passed it off to the Post Office and added another day for me. This is happening to me all the time it seems. Just spoke to CS at Shindigz about it. GR's skeleton dogs have both been routed the same way. Hopefully won't have any problems with the prop when it does arrive.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Moony I was wondering the other day what happened with your situation. Man, really sorry for you. I think any company that tries upgrading their computer system software near any major holiday should fire their computer department or tech service they use for it. I knew their email format and invoice format looked different from before. They probably had hoped to be ready for Christmas and in the process did damage to their Halloween buyers. Six separate payments? Gotta ask were those for 6 costumes or were they making 6 installments like they couldn't afford to pay you? That sounds so bizarre.

I will say that the sale Bump and Go prop I ordered shortly after you posted did ship and I'll have tomorrow since UPS passed it off to the Post Office and added another day for me. This is happening to me all the time it seems. Just spoke to CS at Shindigz about it. GR's skeleton dogs have both been routed the same way. Hopefully won't have any problems with the prop when it does arrive.
No, it was six seperate installments for two costumes. They would say I was refunded in full, when in fact they had only refunded me a small portion of shipping. Then only a small portion of one costume. Then more shipping, then more costume refund etc. Until yes, six (six notifications but thus far the final refund hasn't actually gone through).

Frustrating that the only time they decided to truly try and rectify the situation was when they had a bbb file against them.
They have a new notification up now, and one posts ontheir fb has over 250 responses of people that have had the same experience as me. Countless calls, emals, online chat etc. Numerous "guaranteed delivery" dates given, promises to make things right, but no actual progress. I was at least able to purchase back up costumes for my boys...but many people may not be in the position to put the money put a second time like that. I feel so bad knowing how many others were put in this position. As I said, I hope they get their "stuff" together to become more like the business I have used for the past 8 years. Very disappointed. But...now that we have new costumes for the boys, it is on to finishing our halloween prep and putting this behind us. I kust can't believe how much of my own time I wasted trying to get them to fix their mistake.
I truly hope they treat their employees with more integrity.

Also...I am glad you got your prop! That is the kind of service I have come to know them for! Not what I dealt with.

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
I'm still shaking my head at how you were refunded.

I did want to mention that I placed 2 orders during the Cyber Monday timeframe and then 2 more in the days after when I saw some prices come down (all orders were on Clearance merchandise listed as "In Stock"--costumes, masks, wigs), and am glad to report everything was shipped and quite promptly actually. I should be getting 2 shipments on Monday and then the last two on Wednesday.

Their purchase receipts and follow up emails have changed in appearance and now provide links to their tracking...an improvement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts