Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a prop from store off of ebay. The prop is like 300 bucks but I have been wanting it for a couple of years. Listing says it will be mailed in 5 days. I wait 14 days and all the while I message the seller asking what the delay is, no answer. Open a dispute. No Answer. File a claim. No response and then I get my money back. THEN I got a nasty email. I haven't left bad feedback yet.

As soon as I get a refund I immediately buy it from another Halloween prop store on ebay. It cost about 15.00 more and shipping is supposed to be 3 days till shipped. It has been 11 days and I still have not received it.

They sent me a quick email saying it will be mailed at the end of this week. But I am not sure whether to believe them or if they are just stalling. Cause I emailed them back and asked them why exactly it was delayed hoping that it could clue me in as to what maybe the other guys problem was. And now theres no response at all. So I don't know whether I should wait and see if I get it or file another claim to get my money back.

The next cheapest seller for this prop is like 75.00 more and I probably will not buy it at all.

What would you all do and have any of you had this experience. Neither of the sellers had bad feedback.

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Hmmm... I wonder if they are selling props they haven't built yet?

Maybe what you should do is communicate before sending money? I have had a few duds on ebay, but I do give the benefit of the doubt. Each email escalates the seriousness of the matter...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi Creepy, It sounds to me like the prop you are trying to buy is neither not yet in stock, or the dealers are depending on having the item drop-shipped from the manufacturer. The delays & stalling might be because they don't know when they will actually have the item available to ship to you.

A couple of months ago, I bought The Count lifesize by Gag Studios (via Dept 56) from Lenox, and a smaller item. Both were reported to me as shipped, but the small item got a tracking number, and got delivered quickly, and still no tracking info/delivery of the Count (although they said he shipped). I called, and was told it was coming from another warehouse, and that they had at least 14 business days to actually ship the item. Well, he finally got moving on day 11. When the box arrived, I found a second shipping label. It was shipped to them from a supplier, and then to me. Thus the delay.

If I were you, I would just flat out ask this dealer if he is drop shipping/waiting on a supplier. Unless rules have recently changed, items paid by credit card via paypal are supposed to be shipped within 7 days. Explain that you want the prop, but expect an upfront answer about why the item hasn't shipped yet. If he values his seller's reputation, he ought to do that.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Sometimes people have multible selling accounts on ebay....Hopefully your not dealing with the same guy....I would send them a QUICK summary of what has happened up til now and they need to contact you ASAP with an explanation and no matter what they have a deadline to meet in shipping the item or your getting your money back....Hope it goes well....Looks like I'm going to be doing some Ebay shopping to get some items I've been wanting as well....ZR

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
their are more and more deadbeats in ebay , 8 -10 years ago it was a fun place to shop , even 4years back wasnt too bad and sellers wore very nice , and quick to ship , alot of my ebay purchases from the past 2 years more then half have been a bad experience .....long delays , no show no response from sellers you name it .....

either you bought a prop they dont have in stock and need to wait for the supplier to ship it ....

at least you got a refund and will for this one too if it dont show up , just complain to ebay about all the deadbeat sellers even if they dont do a thing about it ;)

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe my prop is the same as Velvet Vampire. It is the lifesize The Count. The sellers are not the same people they are from different parts of the country. So maybe it is the drop shipping. So I guess I should probably wait.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hmm, I'm surprised you'd be having a problem getting a Count Drac prop, even drop shipped. I just checked and Morris Costumes, who does a lot of drop shipping, has 87 in stock. I don't know what you're paying for the prop on ebay, but I've got these in stock in my warehouse at $299 and if I can be of assistance, just let me know.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Creepy, you're going to love The Count.

A little hint, if you're doing more ebay shopping. Go to Bing.com. Search "Halloween Props". At the top of the page, there will be a link to ebay with a note saying you can get 10% back on U.S. ebay Buy It Now purchases, when using paypal. Read the terms, click through the link, and you're good to go. The cashback is paid directly from Bing, not ebay or the Seller. It works sort of like ebates. Also, the cashback amount can change from time to time. Last week, it was up to 14%. I've seen it as low as 6 or 8%.

If you're buying something on auction, you can get 2% if you go through ebates.com.

Every little bit helps. :)

I believe my prop is the same as Velvet Vampire. It is the lifesize The Count. The sellers are not the same people they are from different parts of the country. So maybe it is the drop shipping. So I guess I should probably wait.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Is this the prop you ordered? Even if they were drop shipping through Morris you should have the item already. Right now Morris is shipping next day in most cases.

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I don't get it this time. I will be in touch.

It's actually been a joke in my family for along time cause about 2 years ago I was going to buy him at the big orange tent on Nov. 1 but he sold before then. Then last year he was still there but they didn't mark him down cause Halloween was on Friday. I couldn't go back on Nov. 2.

So for fun I made a little bucket and put his face on it with a sad little message that said something like. "Please donate some change and bring me home" Everyone started adding money to my bucket. I even had a yard sale and put the bucket out there, again just for fun. I got enough money for him and everyone thought it was funny that my fund raising yard sale was for a vampire. But anyway I originally ordered him almost a couple of months ago and EVERYONE asks "Did you get your vampire yet?" I think they all feel like they partially own him.

I feel like Madonna trying to abopt a kid from a third world country. I have the support of my friends and family behind me, I just can't seem to get him home.

·
Ravenous Zombie
1,196 Posts
You were smart to put in a claim through Paypal before the 30-day limit passed. I usually do this around the 25th day. Weird that the first seller wasn't responding - did you check their feedback - maybe they've had complaints in the past. Does the description say anything about the item not being available to ship yet?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Also, remember that in using a credit card for internet purchases most credit card companies will aggressivelly defend your purchase. With more and more people ordering online they want the consumer to be assured their online shopping is safe.
I had a problem with a halloween site a couple years back. They mailed my order in multiple shipments over 3 weeks and I was still missing many items and with with halloween fast approaching I was getting worried. The halloween site was hard to get a hold of and when I finally did reach them they would tell me the items were on being packaged or were sent or were waiting to be picked up. By the forth and fifth week they stopped replying to my emails and phone calls. (I think many people know who i'm talking about here :mad:) I called my credit card company and filed a claim against the halloween site. This was my first problem with buying online and the credit card company was very helpful.
The credit card company took over trying to contact the halloween site to resolve the dispute and gave my account a temporary credit of the entire purchase amount. The halloween site then continued to ignore the credit card companies multiple attempts to talk with them and after 30 days the credit became permanent. The halloween site lost the items they already sent (about half my order) and the entire purchase price. It still was not worth the aggravation, worrying and such. I would much rather have had the items I paid for. BUT I am glad of the happy outcome, that would have been a total bummer for halloween that year of being ripped off.
PS: I do try to research the sites I buy from and this first site looked very good. A slick web site and good contact info on their site.
The next year I called Thehorrordome.com and talked to the owner who was very nice and shipped quick. A+ to them.

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't actually filed a complaint for this Count yet. That was the other one and I got my money back. I know I will again But I actually would rather they just send it to me. I don't really have a problem with drop shipping but I think they should tell you that is what they are doing. Velvet Vampire made me think that waiting a little longer probably won't hurt but I want to have it before Halloween for sure.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Wow! That's some bad luck you're having. I've been very lucky with ebay transactions so far.
Of course, shipping delays do occur but there is no excuse for the seller not to communicate with a buyer.

·
Ravenous Zombie
1,196 Posts
I haven't actually filed a complaint for this Count yet. That was the other one and I got my money back. I know I will again But I actually would rather they just send it to me. I don't really have a problem with drop shipping but I think they should tell you that is what they are doing. Velvet Vampire made me think that waiting a little longer probably won't hurt but I want to have it before Halloween for sure.
just make sure you put in a claim around the 25th day to protect yourself in case it doesn't go through

·
Ghouls Rule
2,613 Posts
Im pretty certain that sellers need to have the item they are selling in their possession or the listing is void. Ive had issues with book sales and when I use the buy it now or win an auction I get a note stating to close the transaction because they didnt have the item anymore. One told me that they are a brick and mortar store that has listings online and when they sell it in their bricknmortar store that its gone for good. Sometimes they dont tell you whats up until much much later. I dont understand why they wont take down a listing if they dont have an item and if the item isnt in their possession it shouldnt be selling. Im leary of pre-orders on ebay like this as well. Because your out your money if you wait the month for the pre-order to come in and the seller to actually ship your item. If he doesnt he just can hold your money hostage. Really aggravating.

Like colmmoo stated, best to put in a claim before the times up no matter what they guy says. Even if your waiting on your money if ebay finds you were wronged they will act as mediator and if they cannot get ahold of the guy usually they will put a hold on their account so they cannot sell anymore from that alias until everything is resolved. If you pay with paypals credit card you get instant refunds, but if you paid through payaplk with a debit card it can be a bit harder to get refunds, sometimes your bank will back you up in those instances since it was used like a cc. I wish you luck :(

·
Registered
946 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to me back when I was into this trading card game. I finally had enough money to splurge on a big box of cards and so I ordered them. I went with the fastest shipping I could afford. Even with the fast shipping it would still take a while since the place I ordered it from is in Honolulu but I didn't care. I wanted it to get to me as fast as it could once it reached the mainland. Anyway I kept calling and calling about when it would arrive. I made sure to wait until I knew it should've been here. I ordered from them many times before so I calculated how long it takes for an order to arrive. So one time I called and the guy said it wasn't in stock. I wanted to scream at him about how they could've told me or at least not have "In-stock" on their website but I was calm. He told me to wait until the end of the week and lo and behold it arrived. What's the point of this story? Sometimes merchants screw up and may not have the item that they took money for so it's best to just wait. But if you don't trust the merchant it's probably best to try someone else. The difference is I had history with the place I ordered my cards from. Had it been from Amazon or eBay I probably would've been freaking out.

·
Registered
619 Posts
When ebay first started I sold a lot on there. I started with beanie babies (they were very lucritive back then) and then got a business license, rented a storage unit, and started buying truckloads of merchandise and trying to find deals at estate auctions. Ebay was THE place to find a bargain, Not so much any more. I stopped selling about 3 years ago and rarely buy anything. A lot of legit stores have free shipping on a lot of items plus discounts so if you're looking for new merchandise more often than not it's cheaper at the store.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts