Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so at my parties, there is always a group of smokers/others that sit outside almost the whole time. I will also have a Giant Jenga set up back there this year.

I have one projector.

Should I use to play my Ghostly Apparitions dvd... one of the AtmosFearX effects with ghosts... or should I rent/buy/make a large screen in the back yard and use it for a movie? I don't want the movie to be the main focus of the party and it definitely would be if I stuck it in the dvd player in the living room but it might be nice for some ambiance outside.

Or is the cool projection effect going to impress people more?

Can't decide!

What would go over better at your parties?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
While the AtmosFX stuff is pretty cool, I think it will get old rather quickly if you have people that are gonna spend most of the evening outside. I would think the movie would be a better choice.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I agree with J-Man, the apparition video would get old after a few loops. Which may or may not be what you want, depending on how you want to social engineer your party.

Backstory: With our HW party, we now have little to no seating inside. The first year we had the party, people found a seat and sat there for most of the night. Not only did it limit the interaction between people, but it also made it more difficult for other people to move around places like the kitchen, where all the food was. Since then, we've moved the seating outside to the patio, where people have more room. It's helped with traffic flow inside the house, and allows for people to move around easier inside the house where the food and HW decor is. Inside is spooky ambient sounds, but out on the patio it's HW themed party music and disco lights.

We've considered putting a movie on a screen or sheet in the backyard for that "ol' time" movie feel, but also don't want it to become the focus. We haven't done it yet, but one of the things I considered was to create a video that had different scenes from movies, and just loop that. Interesting enough to watch, but no plot to get caught up in. The 2nd year we had the party, we had a "guess the movie" type of game. Most people didn't feel like playing, but everyone enjoyed the movie clips.

Instead of movie clips, maybe an old cheesy monster movie, like "Them!"

·
Registered
33 Posts
We actually have both AtmosFX and a movie screen. I'll say that the Atmos is a big hit when people first see it (particularly the kids), but then it just becomes more of a background decoration. The movie screen works really well throughout the night though. It doesn't detract from the party, but still gives people something to check out and provide a few scares. Plus everyone gets into the highpoints, so it's kind of fun. I'd probably prioritize the movie screen first, but both are good!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts