Halloween Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends!

After some landscaping projects over the summer, I realized that my original plan for the backyard haunt this year needed to be adjusted. Not a big deal, I am up for the challenge. I believe I have made a nice sketch of what the path will look like, and where the scares will be. My backyard is lined by the woods, and this year I will have the pathway go along the edge of the woods. I think it looks good, but I have run into 1 minor problem. I have space for an extra scare!

So, I have space for 4 scares, and only 3 planned. First, TOT's will walk through a spider infested tunnel with a drop spider (scare #1), then move along the neighbor's large, wooden fence (they are most agreeable and love my Halloween activities) to the corner of the yard (Scare #2), then continue around a tree to the cemetery and a flying crank ghost (scare #4), then to the other corner of the yard with a creepy shed and scary clowns (scare #4). I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of the clown idea, but my husband thinks it's great and he did get a lot of scares last year with his clown mask. I'll let him have his way.

I don't know what to do for Scare #2. I have to consider that the TOT's are young, and I will not do gore. The woods are the backdrop, and there so many options! I could do a witch's corner, scarecrows, zombies, monsters, or werewolf, etc. I could set up an actor to jump out from the other side of the fence. I also want to remember that this is the second scare along the path, and is not the grand finale.

So, let's have a vote! If you were coming to my haunt this year, what would you like to see as Scare #2?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
You're right ~ you have a lot of options! There are so many things you could do. :eek:

First, I'd suggest you think about what your plan for future Halloween's will be ~ do you think you will want to change themes a lot or try to stick with the same general plan each year? Do you want a good bit of your Halloween props to be versatile, or are you okay with them only doing one thing or looking one way?

When my DH & I started decorating our front yard for Halloween, we bought anything that we liked and sort of just cobbled it together. But as we bought nicer or more expensive things, we could see that we preferred a more cohesive look, so we donated a lot of stuff that no longer fit in with our general plan. So I suggest just thinking about the directions you want to go in before deciding on what scare #2 might be.

Some people are happy to buy what they like & just decide to make it work ~ totally okay!

But other people, like me, like to try & coordinate things so there's a bit of a flow. So for ME, based on your description already, I'd probably try to incorporate an idea or plan that would pull all your areas/scares together. It could be as elaborate as tying each section to a circus clown theme or abandoned carnival, or as simple as posting some picture signs along the way like "Escaped Mental Patient Juggles the Clown on the loose in this area! BEWARE!" - sort of hinting that a clown scare might come, but no one will know WHEN they will see him, KWIM?

That's just me though. Honestly, if you love an idea, that's what you should do whether it "goes together" or not! :D

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Will you have someone in the scare or does it need to be animated?

An idea to help with the clown scare is to get a roll of red and white striped plastic table cloth and tape to the outside of the shed to give it a circus tent look. A CD or MP3 player with creepy circus music would help in that area too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're right ~ you have a lot of options! There are so many things you could do. :eek:

First, I'd suggest you think about what your plan for future Halloween's will be ~ do you think you will want to change themes a lot or try to stick with the same general plan each year? Do you want a good bit of your Halloween props to be versatile, or are you okay with them only doing one thing or looking one way?

When my DH & I started decorating our front yard for Halloween, we bought anything that we liked and sort of just cobbled it together. But as we bought nicer or more expensive things, we could see that we preferred a more cohesive look, so we donated a lot of stuff that no longer fit in with our general plan. So I suggest just thinking about the directions you want to go in before deciding on what scare #2 might be.

Some people are happy to buy what they like & just decide to make it work ~ totally okay!

But other people, like me, like to try & coordinate things so there's a bit of a flow. So for ME, based on your description already, I'd probably try to incorporate an idea or plan that would pull all your areas/scares together. It could be as elaborate as tying each section to a circus clown theme or abandoned carnival, or as simple as posting some picture signs along the way like "Escaped Mental Patient Juggles the Clown on the loose in this area! BEWARE!" - sort of hinting that a clown scare might come, but no one will know WHEN they will see him, KWIM?

That's just me though. Honestly, if you love an idea, that's what you should do whether it "goes together" or not! :D
Thanks Jenna and Matt! I think that at this point in my haunting, (this is only our second year), we're ok with different themes for now. I really like the idea of posting signs up. Before you walk through the haunt, the line comes up along the driveway against a wooden fence. That would be the perfect place to set up some signs, so TOT's can see them and start getting afraid. THANKS FOR THE IDEA!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will you have someone in the scare or does it need to be animated?

An idea to help with the clown scare is to get a roll of red and white striped plastic table cloth and tape to the outside of the shed to give it a circus tent look. A CD or MP3 player with creepy circus music would help in that area too.
Screaming Demons, I have to rely on the kindness of my friends to be my actors. I neither have the skills or money to set up animatronics. While limiting in some ways, I feel this actually gives me a little more freedom.

Your idea of the table cloth is genius. What a simple/easy/inexpensive way to set the scene. I usually let the details slide, since it's going to be dark and the woods set a really creepy scene naturally, but a table cloth or two over the shed is definitely going to happen. THANKS!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I would try the scarecrow theme. With the woods in the background it may look really good. I have set up simple wooden scarecrow stands with stuffed scarecrows and then placed an actor among them. It worked really well.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Just an idea, how about a scream box hidden in the woods. Year after year, you can change the scare sound within it and use it just about anywhere. The possibilities with it are endless.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
You could build a scarecrow with his head tilted set up on a pivot or swivel, with a piece of fishing line run down to the shed your husband is in. He can keep an eye out for when the TOTers get to the scarecrow, then pull the head upright quickly. Easy and scary, but not too bad.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Well, you've got Spider, Ghost and Clown covered... How 'bout a Vampire or a Werewolf? Old standbys, sure, but guaranteed to freak visitors out. You'll Need scare actors, but props shouldn't be a major issue...

·
Registered
412 Posts
I vote for the scarecrow idea as well, if can get a stationary one too of similar look and a good, non-uncomfortable mask for the volunteer actor - or if you fancy the performer popping up over the fence, a werewolf type reads quickly visually and would work with wooded theme, provided they can convincingly snarl :) ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts