Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making a fcg and am thinking about putting it in my front living room window. Hooks from the ceiling are not an option and the room has a 10 foot window and open layout so there are also light sources from the dining room and family room that could effect the final appearance of this prop. I am thinking I need to make some kind of frame to hang this prop from that will also block out the light from the other rooms. Does anyone else have these same problems and if so, can you post a picture of your fcg backdrop?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yep, same issue. Here's what I do (sorry no pictures)...

I built two rectangular "frames" out of 2x4 (one for each side of the main window). These are just s bit taller than the height of the window. Then, I linked them together with 2x4s at the top front and back. I also linked the bottom back together. I then used hardware staples to affix plastic landscaping fabric from the top and let it hang (with slight overlap between runs). By leaving the bottom of the fabric unattached, I can get in the area with the FCG to turn on her LED eyes. The fabric still allows us to see out the window during the day as well as when someone pulls up the driveway. But it blocks much of the light from other rooms at night.
Finally, I mounted my FCG mechanism to two pieces of 1x3. The entire thing just rests between the top front and top back 2x4 "frame".

The 2x4s are probably a bit overkill. But it's what I had on-hand when I did it some years ago. I thought about redoing the frame in PVC, but stapling the fabric to the wood works very well. I'm not sure if the PVC would sway with the movement. Plus I just assemble the same wood frame using bolts every year and the fabric gets rolled up and put away for reuse as well.

BTW.. No holes needed for hanging. That was my main goal for this design too.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
If you'd like a sketch, I can work one up and post it. Just let me know.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'll be doing the same this year and although some white decorative hangers in the ceiling (like you use to hang potted plants) won't be a problem I am concerned about light from the room. If you go to the Flying crank Ghost page on the HauntProject site there are a number of examples of frames people have made. One of those should work for you.

http://www.hauntproject.com/projdetail.asp?category=Flying%20Crank%20Ghost

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
12,918 Posts
We Didn't have the light problem, but we used PVC like Spider Rider. It can be easily taken apart and stored for next year, and you can surround the frame with black fabric or black felt works great too. keeps the light out and cheap when you use a 40% off coupon.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures SR and YoM! I have a large window that this would work great in, I may move my FCG from a small upper floor window to my large downstairs picture window now. Thanks for showing how that can be done!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts