Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a few baby swings while cruising through my local online classifieds. Craigslist hasn't hit it to big here. Anyway, I was thinking that the swings are motorized to swing back and forth. So what if someone had or bought a swing and busted it open for the motor. The thinking here is that the motor is built to go so far then reverse and go an equal distance, TOMBSTONE PEEPER comes to mind. Wondered what all you other enthusiasts and haunters thought about the idea. I'm thinking too the motor would have enough oomph to move some weight. Considering it would be swinging around an infant.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I bought a dozen of those baby swing mechanisms from American Science and Surplus several years ago. Never have got around to using them for anything. I can dig one out and post a pic for you if you like. These ran on batteries and used a spring for the return motion.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Baby swing motor

I tried to use a baby swing motor, its from a portable baby swing, to make a blucky torso head and arms move in and out of a ground breaking coffin but it acts like it's too heavy. The heavies thing i can get the motor to move is a fake hand and arm... I thought for sure something that can swing a baby would be perfect for this prop but it won't even move it.
Any ideas?

I bought a dozen of those baby swing mechanisms from American Science and Surplus several years ago. Never have got around to using them for anything. I can dig one out and post a pic for you if you like. These ran on batteries and used a spring for the return motion.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The swing motors are no good for prop building because they are actually very weak. More than actually pushing the swing the motor actually just keeps the inertia of the swing motion going, plus everything about them is plastic and cheap. I'd be willing to buy some surplus motors just to keep up with my 10 week old, he's gone through three swings already lol.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
We had one of those motorized swings. When you first start them, they don't swing very much or very far which tells you how weak they are. I think they rely on slowly gettings things moving and using the momentum ot keep things going. If you are looking for a similar action, use a windshield wiper motor. More "oomph" than you'll likely ever need and it's unlikely it'll ever break.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts