Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Dollar Tree yesterday and they have 12-inch baby dolls in stock. I don't have kids and figured for a buck a piece I might pick up some for a cheap prop. I'd love to hear what kinds of things people would do with them. I prefer not to do bloody or gory displays but haunting ones.

I'm thinking maybe one of my skeletons or zombies will be a little kid and it could be dragging a blanket and holding a haunted baby doll. I also thought if I did a hospital scene I could alter one or several for a mutant baby display. I kind of like the idea of a baby ward or demon nursery and if I could manage to do this would have the heads motorized so that when the ToTs approach close enough all of the babies would turn their scary heads towards them. I previously suggested a spooky baby doll head mobile to someone. The dolls aren't that big so it's kind of limiting. Love to hear your suggestions before I cannibalize some.

BTW there's a picture of the baby dolls on Dollar Tree's website if your interested. Search for "baby dolls".

·
Registered
591 Posts
Make an army of zombie dolls kinda chucky style.put servos and leds and there heads would turn and there eyes would light.servo's to move the arm and they could lift there arm and point;I'm sure a servo could move light plastic like a dolls arm.place them on shelfs about shoulder level and relly creepy someone out.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good suggestions, thanks. The servos are a little beyond me this year but I LOVE the idea. The LED eyes are a pretty easy beginner project. BTW the two dolls shown in the How To Haunt Your House link above are the exact baby dolls I bought from Dollar Tree yesterday.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Halloween71, what kind of paint did you use? I'm kind of a perfectionist so slapping the first brush stroke on mine will be nerve-racking. How do you plan on using your doll?

BTW I looked through the '09 prop pics you have and really like what you have done so far. You're way ahead of me and there's only 197 days left (I hate that countdown clock!).

·
Registered
591 Posts
yes only a 197 days no pressure,just because I started at 364 and have got any of the props started finished yet and still have some big ones to do no pressure,this is supposed to be fun and relaxing no pressure..............LOL

·
crossfit zombie
7,453 Posts
Halloween71, what kind of paint did you use? I'm kind of a perfectionist so slapping the first brush stroke on mine will be nerve-racking. How do you plan on using your doll?

BTW I looked through the '09 prop pics you have and really like what you have done so far. You're way ahead of me and there's only 197 days left (I hate that countdown clock!).
I used black craft paint first than after it dried white but did the wipe some off method.On some spots black wasn't all the way dry so when white was applied a gray color was visable.think I will do the gray one next.I plan to display quiet a few like how to haunt your house mixing in a talking one.
Thank you.Don't have alot more I want to do-I want to do more fence-finish up my moving angel tombstone fogger-and found a cool moving massager full size standing zombie I must do.

·
crossfit zombie
7,453 Posts
Walmart has her she was around 24.99 I think she is mattel.They have different varieties of moving dolls a little cheaper.Just be sure when you paint the doll you know where the sensor is.Mine was on the top of the head and I should have taped it up until I painted than been real careful to touch up that spot.But instead I painted and the first day after painting she wouldn't work but when I came in that evening I shut the door and heard her talking and now she works perfect.So next time I will cover the sensor.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Last year I "acquired" my daughters doll, spray painted it primer white (had to hide it in the garage), colored the eyes and lips black, used a hot glue gun to plant veins all over it. Took red and blue markers to color the veins, put it in a pickle jar full of water, added 10 drops of yellow food dye. A yellow glow stick behind the jar gave it just the right lighting.

The blasted thing kept floating to the top and the head was obscured, so I had to put it in upside down, which became an even creepier effect.

I also realized that the paint never really dried - it remained tacky and left paint on my fingers. Must have been something between the paint and the rubber doll. Also, some of the hot glue came loose, but floating veins added to the effect.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Halloween71,

VERY COOL! VERY CREEPY! Love the video...I have to find one of those. Just cleared out the Salvy store of dolls.

THanks for sharing.

Dennis

·
crossfit zombie
7,453 Posts
Halloween71,

VERY COOL! VERY CREEPY! Love the video...I have to find one of those. Just cleared out the Salvy store of dolls.

THanks for sharing.

Dennis
Your welcome. I need to do more I would love to find some of those fancy dolls to do this with.The victorian stlye-they are kinda creepy as is to me.But put a good zombie paint job on them and they would really be creepy.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts