Halloween Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm a hospital CEO with no actual skills, but a willingness to try anything (it's gotten me this far!). Now I have to start scavenging bikes and stuff, and laying out how I would make it work with my yard (I have lots of trees to navigate)
I like your thinking!! I was hooked too the first time my brother showed me a video of one of these.

First thing I did was find a good motor. It’s the heart of the system and probably the most expensive. If I couldn’t find a motor then the project was done. I got mine at Frightprops. It’s a great motor - very strong and will allow me to expand in years to come. But there are a lot of videos on YouTube of people who are more mechanically savvy than me that repurposed motors from appliances. My second go/no-go hurdle was wheels. I wanted to use bike wheels and found a bike store that has old wheels that they sell for very little. I ended up getting mine for “free” after buying a chain and gears and some screws from them for about $50. I tried taking apart my kids old bikes but didn’t have the proper bike wrenches to get the pedals off and decided to save my energy and money for other battles. And there were many.

Here’s a link to the motor I have:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I like your thinking!! I was hooked too the first time my brother showed me a video of one of these.

First thing I did was find a good motor. It’s the heart of the system and probably the most expensive. If I couldn’t find a motor then the project was done. I got mine at Frightprops. It’s a great motor - very strong and will allow me to expand in years to come. But there are a lot of videos on YouTube of people who are more mechanically savvy than me that repurposed motors from appliances. My second go/no-go hurdle was wheels. I wanted to use bike wheels and found a bike store that has old wheels that they sell for very little. I ended up getting mine for “free” after buying a chain and gears and some screws from them for about $50. I tried taking apart my kids old bikes but didn’t have the proper bike wrenches to get the pedals off and decided to save my energy and money for other battles. And there were many.

Here’s a link to the motor I have:

Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Great job on the Axworthy! It is definitely one prop you have to have the patience for! For those who are interested in building one, try and scour the free section of Craigslist. I have found multiple Bob strollers and have repurposed the wheels for the Axeworthy.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I’ve just built an Axworthy Ghost and finally seem to have it working. I’ve been planning it since last year and building for 6 or 7 weekends. I’m sure that I’ll have questions for the community, but I’m happy to share what I learned along the way and explain the setup of there is interest.
From everything I've read and watched, Axworthy Ghosts are some of the most difficult and aggravating props to make, but they are so cool to watch that when they come together they must be worth the effort. Anything you want to provide in the way of what worked for you is welcome to those of us on the fence wondering if having a flying ghost is worth the effort. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Great video! You nailed it! Your ghost has just the perfect line speed and flies with an absolutely spooky wiggle! I don't have any suggestions on making her glow. There are people with Flying Crank Ghosts that glow in a black light but they are in the same location just moving up and down so easy to have a light shine on them. There was something about soaking the ghost in "RIT" which I think was a dye of some kind? Alternatively there was something about soaking ghost in a soap solution.....I forget what soap it was.....
Both of those were so ghost would glow under a black light. I guess you could place a couple black lights in strategic locations like porch etc. so ghost glows as she passes by? Battery and small LEDs are an other option but you are going to have a tricky task of defusing light over whole ghost without bright spots.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I made a quick video of the Axworthy. I’ve been doing endurance testing now have have had it running for at least an hour for several days in a row. My next quest is to figure out how to get the ghost to glow. I have some ideas. Will post pics once I get it figured out!

Here is the video on YouTube 👇🏻
Super cool!!! Love the smooth movement!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow, that looks fantastic! I'm pretty sure they have LED blacklight floodlights now.
You should go to the craft store and find the lightest, flowy-est fabric you can find and add it to the prop. I think it would make it extra ghostly looking!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
A quick update:
In the past week I have made a second ghost, and can now fly 2 ghosts on the line. I also figured out how to light both ghosts after a bit of trial and error.

The ghost purchased at Spirit Halloween now has 2 small UV LED bolt lights that are held in place inside an iced tea bottom which I have wired inside her head. It works really well.

The new made-from-scratch ghost has 2 green LED bolt lights which I added to the skull before draping all of that fabric onto it over the weekend. He's all sewn and glued together now and looks great flying around the yard.

I will post an updated video in the coming days showing these guys in action at night. Also, it was really windy today so I got to do a wind test as well :)
Passed!

·
Registered
868 Posts
A quick update:
In the past week I have made a second ghost, and can now fly 2 ghosts on the line. I also figured out how to light both ghosts after a bit of trial and error.
They both look great. Being two so different looking ghosts just adds to the fun. The lighting is really nicely done. It looks like trial and error is a very good approach.

·
Bog Body
1,474 Posts
One of the best and most thought out implementations of an axworthy I've ever seen! Kudos to you. Looks great,

To make glow, you could put some water and laundry detergent in a spray bottle and spray the ghost. Laundry detergent glows in UV light. Then you'd need blacklights. I wonder if small LED lights could be attached to the line in front and back of the ghost to illuminate it as it moves. Alternatively you could just get UV lights attached to areas but it'd change luminescence levels as got closer and farther from the light sources.

·
Bog Body
1,474 Posts
Just realized I somehow missed the whole awesome post of you putting LEDs in the ghosts! Very cool. Awesome video too. I miss having a house. This was (and still is) something I wanted to do.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts