Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just built an Axworthy Ghost and finally seem to have it working. I’ve been planning it since last year and building for 6 or 7 weekends. I’m sure that I’ll have questions for the community, but I’m happy to share what I learned along the way and explain the setup of there is interest.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Adjustabletensioning added to the line via a plastic bowsie to overcome the inevitable stretching of the line over time. The system is under a LOT of tension. I have barrel swivels ties to both end of the line so that I can pull the line together and tension it when I first string it up. The barrel swivels also help overcome some of the twisting that happens as the line moves around the course.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

I have 2 wheels strapped to trees. The longest span is 65’. This is in the public right of way in front of our house and the city forestry department got curious and paid me a visit to make sure that I wasn’t damaging their tree. Within 10 minutes I had them up on my porch, was showing them around and getting them excited, and now they are both going to bring their kids by on Halloween night :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
My hats off to you !!! Fine job... I like how you strapped it to the house without bolts into wall etc.
I thought about trying this Axworthy Ghost project... but after a lot of watching U-tube and researching it...
I threw away the collection of old bike wheels and decided not to. Several said it was a test of patience...
Many hours of frustrating issues keeping it running etc. Line derailing in the slightest wind.....
If I hadn't thrown the wheels away... I may have been tempted to .....?
But done right and with a cool ghost it is a really awesome effect !
Sure to thrill the kids.!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My hats off to you !!! Fine job... I like how you strapped it to the house without bolts into wall etc.
I thought about trying this Axworthy Ghost project... but after a lot of watching U-tube and researching it...
I threw away the collection of old bike wheels and decided not to. Several said it was a test of patience...
Many hours of frustrating issues keeping it running etc. Line derailing in the slightest wind.....
If I hadn't thrown the wheels away... I may have been tempted to .....?
But done right and with a cool ghost it is a really awesome effect !
Sure to thrill the kids.!
Thanks Krusty! It has been a labor of love. Lots of tinkering and also a lot of trial and error. But it seems to be working now. I did an endurance test this weekend to see if it was really going to work, had it running for 2 hours while I did yard work and already am getting a ton of comments from neighbors.

Everythingthat I’d read about it was right: you need as much constant tension in the line as the line will handle, and the wheels need to be level. This has been really fun to do. I’m glad that i did it.

I found the bike wheels for free at a local bike shop. The motor that I use is from Fright Props. I’m currently using 100lb black Kevlar kite string for the line.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
That is awesome. I envy those who have the right yard space, trees in the right spot, and the right building structures to be able to do an Axworthy Ghost. I could never get one to work in my yard.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ghost is supported by 2 clips front and back (to keep her from spinning). Looped string ties around the line are light weight but also allow the line to twist freely. The light weight aluminum clips allow me to take the ghost on and off quickly.

·
Registered
176 Posts
click on the chain link in your post - left side at bottom.
It will pop up a window where you enter the link(URL) to U-tube and you can type in a title for video under that.
Then click post.
That's how I have been doing it.... maybe a direct way is possible.???

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just tried to attach a video direct and it won't let me select a video... just a picture.
U-tube is Free anyways - probably best bet.
I have been posting pictures here a lot as I think a picture really is worth a 1000 words!
So far no limit on them.... guessing computer space is not as costly as several years ago when the forums wanted you to use a photo sharing/ hosting site separate from the forum...?
Some say: "No picture... It didn't happen"

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Very nice! I would like to see it n action...video please?
I made a quick video of the Axworthy. I’ve been doing endurance testing now have have had it running for at least an hour for several days in a row. My next quest is to figure out how to get the ghost to glow. I have some ideas. Will post pics once I get it figured out!

Here is the video on YouTube 👇🏻

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
click on the chain link in your post - left side at bottom.
It will pop up a window where you enter the link(URL) to U-tube and you can type in a title for video under that.
Then click post.
That's how I have been doing it.... maybe a direct way is possible.???
Just posted a link to YouTube above. 👍🏻 👻

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That thing is so cool. It's got me thinking for next year (don't think I could pull it off this year....)
I planned it starting in August of last year. Started building it early August of this year. I’m an architect and had sketched the whole thing out before I started. It’s a ton of work but has been so rewarding! I love having it in the yard. Do it!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I planned it starting in August of last year. Started building it early August of this year. I’m an architect and had sketched the whole thing out before I started. It’s a ton of work but has been so rewarding! I love having it in the yard. Do it!
I'm a hospital CEO with no actual skills, but a willingness to try anything (it's gotten me this far!). Now I have to start scavenging bikes and stuff, and laying out how I would make it work with my yard (I have lots of trees to navigate)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts