Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I want to try and have an Axworthy ghost this year. I have some plans for one and it seems pretty simple to construct. I want mine to be in the forest.

The road down to my house is surrounded by the woods and in the fall the trees are usually pretty bare. I think it would be awesome to have a ghost of some sort flying through the branches. Has anybody ever done this before? I'm sorta afraid of the forest destroying the mechanism...

·
livin Halloween every day
1,988 Posts
Agreed, shouldnt have any problems as long as you build it so that it can be removed and stored easilly. And yes that would be a very cool idea to be going down that wooded path and see that ghost coming at you.

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
Just keep your line tight and make your arms long enough to allow the ghost(s) to pass around your pulleys without catching tree bark (even in the wind). We setup an eight pulley system that zig zags through trees in the woods crossing a trail at several places.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Just keep your line tight and make your arms long enough to allow the ghost(s) to pass around your pulleys without catching tree bark (even in the wind). We setup an eight pulley system that zig zags through trees in the woods crossing a trail at several places.
Got pics of the pully setups? or a vid of it running, I'd be interested so I can update my system.:D

·
Registered
495 Posts
Check out my Axworthy on youtube
Propboy941 I have several variations and I did use trees for many years.

Take a peek. I have built literally dozens of variations of this prop glad to answer any questions.

1st version

Best version

-PB

·
Registered
127 Posts
Check out my Axworthy on youtube
Propboy941 I have several variations and I did use trees for many years.

Take a peek. I have built literally dozens of variations of this prop glad to answer any questions.

-PB
Propboy,
Don't want to hijack this thread, but I saw your youtube video where it looks like you used a cone shaped (plastic?) pulley to change directions and attached them using a bungee cord to keep the line taught. How did that work out and what pulley did you actually use?

Jared

·
Registered
495 Posts
This is the best design ever!!! I borrowed it from Applewood. I custom made the pulley's. I have access to a machine shop and turned them to this shape on a lathe.

I had ZERO line jump, I was able to change elevation and in one of the videos you can see/hear the wind, went flawlessly!

I highly recommend this design over all others. Trust me I have tried tons, way to many to list. Been working on this prop since 1993

-PB

·
Registered
187 Posts
Lets talk about axworthy Line, i used spiderwire last year and while it was decent I still think it had a bit too much sag in it. What's the best line to use???

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is the best design ever!!! I borrowed it from Applewood. I custom made the pulley's. I have access to a machine shop and turned them to this shape on a lathe.

I had ZERO line jump, I was able to change elevation and in one of the videos you can see/hear the wind, went flawlessly!

I highly recommend this design over all others. Trust me I have tried tons, way to many to list. Been working on this prop since 1993

-PB
Dang, everyone and all their custom made stuff :) I need a bigger garage :) So would you care to share any photos of the pulley shape or any particulars? No problem if you want to keep it under wraps since you've done so much work on it yourself. I thought about purchasing some bow rollers as I thought that might keep it on track fairly well.

Jared

·
Registered
495 Posts
I will try to dig up some photos to post. Glad to share any info so many people have given their time/expertise to me it would be wrong for me not to share.

This is one of the many lines I used. Can't recall for sure but this was my final drive line. I say this as I have used Courtland braided musky fishing line as well and that worked great.

These pulleys are nearly identical to boat things, don't know the tech term. BUT I found the boat things are made of rubber and made the line stick a little to much making the line twist, that is bad!!!!!

I will see if I can upload some pics of the pulleys. I'm gonna throw this out there but DO NOT hold it to me. I was thinking of making some pulley's and selling them. I have built many, many pneumatic animations and sold them. This is an idea not sure yet.

-PB

FOUND SOME

This one is my drive motor in testing

I did use the poly cord you can see it's thickness in the pics
Hope these help

·
Registered
127 Posts
These pulleys are nearly identical to boat things, don't know the tech term. BUT I found the boat things are made of rubber and made the line stick a little to much making the line twist, that is bad!!!!!
Excellent, thanks! This design looks much easier than trying to build a huge frame at each pulley point and what not. I think I'll see what I can find for hard plastic pulleys in that shape and give it a test in my garage.

Thanks again,
Jared

·
Registered
540 Posts
Where does one get pulleys like this?

·
Registered
495 Posts

I tried these. For me what happened is the drive line would twist on the pulley riding up causing the line to twist. TWIST is bad. Also the "V" is kinda shallow making you have to pull the line pretty taunt. It had a tendency to ride down the pulley and slip off.
Again this is just what happened to me. BUT I have built many that failed and many that worked, more failures though :eek:

So that is my experience with those.
hope this helps
-PB

·
Registered
127 Posts
Cool, well it looks like solid PVC rod is fairly expensive. I did find some UHMW Polyethylene rod that wasn't too bad. I ordered a 2 foot section (2 1/2" diameter). My dad sent his lathe down to me last year. I guess I should try and put it together and see if I can't turn out a few of these pulleys.

From what I've read, UHMW plastic machines rather well.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts