Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that I had my Axworthy drive wheel finished. On the wiper motor shaft, I expoy-metal "welded" a coupling (extension) nut, then a bolt to a small bicycle cog with about a dozen teeth. I used a bike chain to drive a 10-speed wheel, which allowed me to mechanically adjust the final ghost speed.

Well, it's been a prop nightmare...tensioning, keeping the drive cog on the same plane as the correct gear on the ten cog set, keeping the chain flexible... Now, for some reason, my drive cog assembly is wobbling and the chain pops off ever 10 seconds. ugh. Usually, I over engineer things and I've never been happy with this pseudo-strong method, so it's gotta go.

I know someone who can weld. I'm thinking of having him weld the motor shaft to the 10-speed wheel shaft and I would get a PWM speed controller for speed control. But, even this solution seems like this transition would have to be nearly perfect to prevent serious wobble in the wheel.

I've got a strong wiper motor with an oversized power supply, so I'm confident this is a good motor solution, but I also have an gallon-sized, 20lb motor that came off of a whole-house HVAC fan, that runs at 1500 RPMs or so. It has one of those standard v-drive type pulleys mounted to the shaft that accepts those belts like on the old cars. Maybe I could get another pulley and bolt that to the shaft of the bike wheel? This would help mechanically slow down the ghost speed, but I would probably need need a serious PWM controller.

Ok, I'm rambling now 'cuz this is drivin' me crazy. :)

Does anyone have any any solid & permanent solutions for an Axworthy drive wheel?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Nepboard. I hear ya!

So today I found a local welder who really took care of me. He had a coupling nut (~1" long) and tapped one end for the wiper motor and the other for the bicycle axle. He welded the nut to the wheel and we just left the motor side weld free and will just tighten it normally (with some red loctite). Tomorrow I will test it all out, but that's one less worry...and with time running out...that's a good thing! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts