Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have got my ghost flying but the belt I'm using keeps breaking. I am using a 36 " vac. belt, one which is a cross between rubber and fiber. Quite strong but the metal clip that is used to connect the ends we cover with black electrical tape and then have tried metal tape, to see which is the strongest. Both break after use. The metal tape lasts about 30 mins. the black electrical tape last longer, about two hours. What do I do ? I have to find a belt that will last. Your help is greatly needed. Thanks. :mad::p

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've read (haven't tried it) that some Axworthy folks use a car serpentine belt. The belt has several grooves in it. They take a razor knife and slice off just one of these grooves all the way around and end up with a skinny, strong & continuous belt.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Try putting it together like they used to splice an old treadle sewing machine's leather belt. A round wire staple fastened the two ends together, then the ends were clenched under. How big a diameter is your belting? The wire size that you use for the staple is dependant upon that. Before stapling, I would slip a 2" piece of appropriately sized shrink tubing over one half of the joint, and after stapling, shrink it over the joint. That should offer a degree of protection for the splice.

Good luck!

Ron

·
Registered
237 Posts
go to napa and tell them how big a belt you need and width they can hook you up.if it lasts in a car or truck 100k miles it will last a month.why does it break is there something sharp or is the belt rubbing or slipping?if it's slipping there is belt dressing that will help,get it at the same place.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
I've heard of haunters in the past using that rubber rope material that you use when you replace screen in your windows. It goes in the groove and holds the screen in the window frame.

Just tie a piece in the circumference you need and try it!

Good luck!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've heard of haunters in the past using that rubber rope material that you use when you replace screen in your windows. It goes in the groove and holds the screen in the window frame.

Just tie a piece in the circumference you need and try it!

Good luck!
The rubber rope is called 'spline'. Usually available at any hardware/big box store.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've used the 1/4" diameter clear tubing from H.D., cut the length I needed and sutured the ends together using roughly 15# braided material (using a curved needle about 1cm from the end...starting from the outside of the tube into the inner lumen...don't go all the way through... of the tube and passing it into the inner lumen of the adjacent tube and out through the other piece) Don't tie it too tight. Used the same one for 2 years.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All great ideas so far I have got to get this together ASAP so I'm willing to try anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts