1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I've never looked that closely at building an AFG but that motor is plenty strong for one. Speed is always the problem, but that is adjustable so it should slow down enough to work. You will still need a power supply to make it work, and that will cost extra.

You may never have seen one before, but that is a wiper motor they are selling. I need to buy some wiper motors and a few little parts so I can start selling them for $90 on ebay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so is that overpriced? I just looked at windshield motors on ebay, average 30.00. Plus an adjustable speed, PLUS a power supply? I'm not electrically declined, so I want something plug and go. No go?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
so is that overpriced? I just looked at windshield motors on ebay, average 30.00. Plus an adjustable speed, PLUS a power supply? I'm not electrically declined, so I want something plug and go. No go?
You need a power supply either way. The one on ebay doesn't include one, so it's not really plug and play. I buy all my wiper motors from Monster Guts for $20 brand new. They also have this, which includes everything you need: http://monsterguts.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=306

It's only $55, cheaper than the one on ebay, and includes the power supply. Monster Guts also has excellent customer service. You can call or email them and they will answer specific questions you have. When you get it, there are many on this site who can help you out as well. It's not really that hard once you get everything sitting on the table and start connecting the pieces.

You also need a couple of pulleys. Someone who has built an AFG should be able to recommend something simple and cheap.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Glad to see people making this project using windshield wiper motors. I don't think the original project used this kind of motor and I have always been wary of trying this project because I could not think of a decently priced motor to get the job done that I could trust to run for long periods of time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
well, there are a few variables that could affect the performance for your Axeworthy. I build one 3 years ago; youtube video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEZz95s_IUU

I tried using a smaller motor (sewing machine) but it did not have enough torque to pull my line. I ran my axeworthy all over the backyard, so the length of the runs was rather significant. I also had 3 ghosts on my line, and these ghosts were rather big, so they added weight. To move my line I used a 1/4 HP machine motor running at 1725 RPMs. I then stepped down the speed with a series of wheels/pulleys.

So to answer your question, there are videos out there that power their Axeworthy's with smaller motors. But keep in mind the overall length, weight, and distance will add drag that may or may not be too much for your motor.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yeah, $90 is way too much for basically a wiper motor and a speed controller, especially without the power supply. Screaming Demons had a great suggestion... go with the full motor kit from MonsterGuts. i've never ordered anything from them myself, so I can't offer any opinions on how they are, but I've heard nothing but good things about them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts