Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first time poster. Ive decided to attempt the Axeworthy ghost this year, the only problem is I'm limited on my attachment points. I only have 1 tree and its in the center of my yard and doesn't appear to be a viable option at this point. Has anyone ever done the ghost with some sort of free standing poles or posts? i wont attach anything to my house (all new siding) so I need other options. I can use my kids BB net at on point but id be stretching it to reach others. I would like to have a set up where I can detach them from something Id leave in the ground and just pull them out next year and screw them to a base. Im open to any and all ideas if you have any. Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
The pvc/mausoleum is more suitable for a flying crank ghost. Won't work for an axworthy.

The house our system is set up for is on a corner lot. Our mounts aren't free-standing per se, but they could've been if we'd wanted to put something in the ground to attach them to (that wasn't already there). The axworthy is laid out like this, in the order the ghost travels:

1. Drive motor, on the rightmost end of the house (as you look toward the street), near the garage
2. Rightmost tree in the front yard
3. Leftmost tree in the front yard
4. Fence on the leftmost end of the house
5. Front porch

The post upon which the drive wheel (essentially the rear half of a bicycle with a wiper motor driving the pedals) is mounted is made from a vertical pair of metal conduits with three braces. The verticals are strapped (with muffler strapping/duct hangars) to a 1 foot diameter metal post that forms part of the fence gates. There are 90 degree fittings at the top of those conduits, which are attached to more conduit that's slid into and welded to the tubes of the bike frame, as you can see in the first picture.

We built three 10' high "gallows" structures (90 degree angles with a 45 degree brace, and the wheel mounted beneath the arm) from 2x4s for wheels 2-4. Picture shows them lying with the vertical pieces flat on the ground. Two are for our trees because the wheels needed to be on arms extending out of the foliage, and the third is simply strapped to the post for the fence since the fence wasn't tall enough to attach a wheel directly to it.

The fifth wheel's bracket is also a section of bike frame with some box tubing attached. It uses threaded rods and scrap 2x4 to clamp around the front porch post; the short piece of box tubing is to hold it perpendicular to the post.

Wheels 1 and 4 are the only wheels that the line travels most of the way around, forming an acute angle between incoming and outgoing line. There's probably a 75 foot span returning from wheel 4 to wheel 1. Since 5 is the only wheel on that trip and also probably the wheel with the least contact with the line, there are a pair of 45 degree arms also welded to wheel 5's bracket, with small garage door pulleys on the ends to help keep the line centered. I'll try to take more pictures tomorrow when there's light.

Incidentally, my motor speed controller came in today so tonight was our first real test with a ghost at full speed. Worked like a champ, though we need to smooth out some minor snags on branches and fence and such.

·
The guru is IN
1,240 Posts
the pvc/mausoleum is more suitable for a flying crank ghost. wont work for an axworthy.

we built "gallows" structures (90 degree angles with 45 degree brace) from 2x4s for our trees because the attachments needed to extend out of the foliage, and for one fence that wasn't tall enough.

the post for the drive motor (essentially the rear half of a bicycle with a wiper motor attached) is made from a pair of conduit verticals that are strapped to a 1foot diameter metal post (part of the gate). there are 90 degree fittings at top that go to conduit welded to bike frame tubes.

the fifth wheel's bracket uses threaded rods and scrap 2x4 to clamp around the front porch post
OOOOOHHHH! I got them mixed up

·
Registered
630 Posts
I don't know that the EZ-Spike is strong enough, if the pole pulls in at all, your wire will be on the ground

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have the Axworthy ghost running using poles from basketball goals slid into pvc sleeves concreted into the ground. The sleeves are about 2ft. in the ground with concrete around them, we installed pvc pipe caps to cover these in the off season. Our ghost run aprox. 350ft total, this is a very simple way to do the ghost.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ok so I realize that you don't want to attach anything to the house due to new siding, however what I'm doing with one of my "attachment" points is to use a bungee cord screwed into the house right behind the gutters, doesn't touch my siding. It's just screwed into the wood behind the gutter. The bungee works well as it acts as a tensioner for the line.
20151017_152730.jpg
The drive motor is attached to a tree that is pretty much in the center of my front yard.
tree mount.jpg
My final attachment point I am using a flag pole attached to my front deck.
flag pole mount.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your info, it looks awesome. I like that it appears to be more simple than some of the other set ups. Not that i'm knocking any other set up i just need something simple to start me off. I was wondering how tall your poles are also. Thanks again

·
Registered
374 Posts
What you want to do is keep your drive and all your pulleys on the same plane, so the line moves horizontal without too much elevation change. So it just depends on how high up you want your ghost flying. Remember you will have some line sag in places so make sure to factor that in. My line is hanging right about 9 feet in the air.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's kinda funny I was just going to log on ask that same question. I wasn't sure how crucial that was going to be. I've also seen where some set ups actually have smaller "guide pulleys" I'd guess you'd call them, that are out in front (like on an arm) of the main pulley and adjust for differences in the plane between points. My other question is about rim size. I have all small rims from bicycles with the biggest being a 20 inch. How will that factor in as far as speed goes. I wasn't sure if only the drive wheel had an effect or all of them. Thanks again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts