Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preliminary test and tune of my first AWFG was successful today despite the heat and humidity! Had a few hiccups but those were ironed out relatively easy. I have it to the point now that I can run the track string at any speed with no issues. I did make a quick stand in ghost using a plastic skull and trash-bag and was able to send that around at a desirable speed but had some slight derails. (Slight meaning the tensioner acted quickly enough to pull the line tight catching it on the bottom nut of which ever bike rim it came off of rather than completely dropping it and having to completely re-string it.)

The plastic skull did have a little weight to it, I think if I can build an ultra-light ghost it would have better results. I will have to go pickup more foam skulls, I used my last on the FCG I built a few months ago.

I might also have to figure out a new way mount the drive wheel / motor higher, it is at a lower height than the other two pulleys (bike rims) due to being mounted under the overhang of our unattached garage. I don't know if the lower height (a good 1' - 2') is causing it to derail when weighted down with a ghost.

My setup I think it relatively simple and flying in a triangle. It starts out at the back corner of our property at our unattached garage, runs to the front corner of our property (maybe 60') - flies across the front of our property along our fence row to the side of our front porch (50') - back to the garage (50'). I am using an old sewing machine motor, a rib a cut off an old serpentine belt and 3 rims off kid bicycles. The middle rim is on a swivel mount I made and uses a small bungee cord to act as a tensioner.

I know the AWFG can be cantankerous and is a lot of trial and error but any tips would be welcomed!

·
Registered
374 Posts
My best advice... don't do it. I've been trying to perfect it since 2010 and I have yet to have him flying for the entire 2 hours of ToT. Here is the video of mine "flying" looks great.... for about 5 minutes, then disaster, every single time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ1re80fnjY

I've burned up motors, popped off pulleys, bounced ghosts off lines, sagged lines, moving mount derailments, you name it, mine has failed that way.

I've tried different motors, different drive belts and motor mount configurations, different speed controllers, different pulleys, different line, changing pulley locations, and keep lightening the ghost. But no dice. I don't think I'm going to waste my time on it this year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts