Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really excited about this addition to my home haunt this year. First off a couple shoutouts. Thanks to Stiltbeast studios for the awesome tutorial on turning a wig head into a monster. LINK. This was not a difficult task even for someone creatively challenged like myself. Secondly thanks to Spider Hill Prop Works for the PVC kit. I purchased KIT 1 from them for $26 and spent less than $10 in PVC to make this dude. They shipped it wickedly fast and their joints are both very adjustable and very strong when tightened.
Shoulder Joint Room Plumbing Ceiling

Now here's the stupid question... How do I keep this guy's pants up? He has no torso to attach them to and if I just attach to the hips the pants will be too low and will not be 'filled out'. I'm going to beef him up with pool noodles but not until I have a plan of attack for those pants! I know tons of you guys have made something like this, how did you do it? Suspenders?

·
Registered
429 Posts
A cheaper alternative to pool noodles is empty plastic drinks bottles - they are also a little wider in diameter, depending how full you want your legs to look. You can also fill the bottom ones with water to make him more stable. I would loop some cord through the belt loops of his pants and loop it over his shoulders so you can adjust the height you want, like home made braces/suspenders. You would cover this with whatever he will be wearing on his top half. HTH

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,792 Posts
Hi Jason,

I am glad that you like your kit! I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

I got your email and sent you over a picture that might help. Here is a thread I posted a while back while finishing one of our zombies. I hope this will help give you some ideas as well. http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/139332-filling-out-pvc-body.html

I am also working on a "how to" for just this sort of thing I will hopefully have done soon.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
When I made a skeletal mourning woman for my cemetery and used the pvc & soda bottle method, her dress was in two pieces and I actually pinned it somewhat in place at first, and then went around the body & hot-glued it in place. I don't like to sew. :p

You could use Velcro, pins, suspenders, glue, thread the belt loops with twine/bungee cords & tie them around the pvc poles, or even strong tape.

Looking good!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. Plastic drink bottles are a very good idea, looks like I need to invest in some duct tape!

Diabolik, that thread and your email response were very helpful. Making a plate like that is definitely the way to go. I can even just staple the pants to the wood. That hardware cloth you found will work great for my zombie's chest too. Thanks for the awesome help!

These are amazing. You can buy a cheap looking campy zombie at a Halloween store for $200, or you can make one yourself that has flexible arms and fits your haunt perfectly for about $65 all in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts