Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Pirate Princess
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you work, slave, spend $$$ , use your creativity and talent over props, costumes, parties etc etc .. The day comes and you have TOTS galore.. You cant disapoint and have a lousy smartee. What candy do you give out???
And how many pieces? Do you do a count that way?

I always give chocolate (so if I have leftovers I can eat it LOL).. Usually snickers, Reese Cups and Nerds ( you are what you eat).

I am thinking of buying a small thing like Halloween rings or bracelets to give out so that I can do a count of the TOTS approximately.

What do you do as far as the TREAT????:)

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Good question! I'm interested to hear what others say.

'05: Treat bags: Kids seem to not care 'cause they couldn't see into the bag to tell what's in it.

'06: Reese's cups: Again, the kids seemed to not care. That could have been because I amped up my haunt and they were too scared to care what they got. Bonus: I had leftover Reese's that lasted for three months...SCORE!

'07: Toys and trinkets from Oriental Trading: Kids seemed a bit more interested (older ones). The biggest reaction was from the tween girls when I gave them sparkley bracelets. The younger kids didn't care a wit because they were scared out of their minds. Could have been because I was dressed as the Terra Queen (terrifying) and I was the one handing out the candy. ;)

'08: Cheap-o: Decided that since the treats don't really get a reaction from the ToTs I thought I'd get something cheap and easy to hand out - Pixie Sticks. They seemed happy with that and so was I.

'09: <rant mode on> IF I COULD FIND A CHEAP SOURCE FOR CHROMADEPTH 3D GLASSES!!!!!!!: UGH! <rant mode off> I will hand these out as their treat in the middle of the walk-through so they can experience my new 3D section and I won't have to bother with collecting them at the end.

Each year I pre-count the treats I'm giving out and then subtract what's left. Works pretty good :)

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
I give out thetraditional candy bars that i always loved, snickers,milky ways, baby ruths, butterfingers and such. We usually have boxes of potato chips or doritos also to mix it up a bit. We throw it all into a big witch's cauldron and mix it up before handing it out. I would like to give out little novelty gifts sometimes but we get way too many people and it would be too expensive for me.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
we give out all the different funsize bars and I have a stash of tootsie rolls just in case we run out...

since we don't get a ton of ToTs, I usually reach into the cauldron and pull out a handful for each kid.

I saw 6-packs of full size Snickers for $1.50 at the commissary (military talk for grocery store) Sunday and am debating on going back and checking the expiration date. 20 packs for $30 would get me 120 treats...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Do you get the necklaces at oriental trading?
No, their prices are ridiculous. If you google glow necklace, you should be able to find a lot of much cheaper places. I'll look around and see if I can find where I have bought them from

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,634 Posts
We also do the fun size candy bars. With our numbers (600+), it's the most economical. I spent over $60.00 on candy last year.

·
Registered
157 Posts
We give out an assortment of mini Butterfingers, Kit-Kats, Twix, Reese's Cups, 3 Musketeers, Nestle Crunch, and Baby Ruths.

Our front door's security screen (which the T-r-T'ers have to be brave enough to approach) is very heavy metal (dark, dark green), and virtually opaque. I usually throw a dark shroud on, paint the fingernails of my left hand black, wear a broken-chained manacle around my wrist, and slowly unlock the door (very loud latch), then thrust out a candy-laden wooden bowl at the "Guests", weaving it back and forth for a moment --

-- and then draw it back inside and abruptly close the door (heavy metallic clang). The look on our T-n-T'ers faces is always marvelous. They really don't expect that.

But before the gag gets cruel, I open the door again a quick moment later and let the Wee Monsters plunge their greedy little hands into the bowl and help themselves.

Of course a good deal of the Butterfingers go missing before the night is through...

Most Sanguine Cheers,
SOT

·
Registered
594 Posts
I buy a mix of the candy bars mentioned above... I usually buy about 2 bags every trip to the store in the month of October, and then my parents bring over a sack full of candy as well - they say that its worth the "price of admission" (the candy) just to sit and watch all the neighborhood kids get scared....

I usually end up putting the candy right into the TOTs sack or bag, and they dont really even notice what they got.

As for counting, the only way I could get a fair estimate of how many TOTs using the candy process of elimination is if I were to give out peppermints, becuause I have 2 teen boys, that I swear I have to pay them 4 bags of candy each on 10-31 to work my haunt, LOL.

(Although the hubby would probably eat the hard peppermints, now that I think about it, LOL)

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,115 Posts
I give out full size candy bars to kids 8 and under or as near as I can tell. Over eight they get glow necklaces and everyone gets a handful of general candy as well as the big treat. We also make goody bags for the local kids, my soccer team and friends kids. Decorate and they will come, really treat 'em and they will brag to all their friends and more come the next year!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I do a mixture of chocolate and fruit flavored fun-size candies. Last year, I added in mini bags of popcorn that were in halloween themed bags.

I don't keep a running tally. I just kind of give a few pieces to each kid. And like many others on here, I don't think that they actually realized what they got. For the most part, they were all very cautious about walking up to my driveway so, it was kind of a 'get the candy and run' type of situation =)

This year (time permitting) I'd like to make these to give out =) Just one more way to have our display remembered =)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Full sized bars plus a glow bracelet. I start a pile of bracelets in a dark bowl, so the ToTers can choose their favorite colors. The candy bars I typically give out are: Butterfingers, Snickers, M&Ms (various types), Baby Ruth, Hershey's chocolate bars, and, for the non-chocolate lovers, Skittles. I only get 30-50 ToTers, so the cost of the full sized bars isn't that terrible. And the bracelets are 10 for $1 (or less) at Michael's. I look at this way: I spend more on one new prop each year than on all of the candy and glow bracelets combined.

Craig
Norristown, PA

·
Registered
327 Posts
We usually do a mixture of many things...fun-size chocolates, Reesie Cups, and then tootsie pops/blow pops and the like. Last year we scored a TON of glow bracelets from the dollar section at Target (I think 20 per container for $1) and those were an unbelievable hit with the kids!

For small kids who brave the yard, my wife usually will give them extra candy. :D We tried to conserve last year because the year before (in Michigan) we ran out 3 times and had to resort to microwave popcorn and granola bars from the pantry! but we ended up having a good amount left last year.

·
Registered
413 Posts
we give out all the different funsize bars and I have a stash of tootsie rolls just in case we run out...

since we don't get a ton of ToTs, I usually reach into the cauldron and pull out a handful for each kid.

I saw 6-packs of full size Snickers for $1.50 at the commissary (military talk for grocery store) Sunday and am debating on going back and checking the expiration date. 20 packs for $30 would get me 120 treats...
I would think they should be good until October. Most candy bars are good for about 9 months to a year.

I stocked up on a stash of full sized candy bars a month or two ago when they were buy one get one free in by the box.

·
Super Moderator
5,801 Posts
We have a dual-drop, really.

Kyle hands glow bracelets out front, but mostly to the smaller kids (and their siblings, if any), and they're told it's a protective bracelet to keep them safe through the haunt. Last year we went through 300 of those.

As for the rest...

I'm often surprised just how quick those chips go...

This past year, we planned on just over 600, we ended up with just over 500 (stupid rain).

Left were mostly the M&M's and the about half the Fritos chips. Everything else was gone.

We start stocking up around July for this.

Other things we've tried:

Grandma's brand cookies were NOT very popular (much to my surprise).
Various 'small child snacks' have had mixed reaction. (goldfish, teddy grahams, etc) I think parents of that age group are ToTing for their own treats.
Small Toys, as fun as it was hearing 500 kids blasting kazoos through the neighborhood, a good chunk ended up in the yards/street within a few houses radius

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
we have got lots of small thing that we got for only 1p.....
We go hunting for after halloween goodies....
Also we have got fangs and witches hats to sell, for children or adults without costumes...

Ruggerz

·
Registered
152 Posts
ELH,

Ok, i may have to take issue with your smarties dig, next to Charlston Chews, Smarties are my second favorite Halloween treat. :) as for my other comments, when i used to live with my parents, we would avg. about 300 kids, and we gave out the usual suspects, fun sized candy bars, SMARTIES :eek:... ahem.... and the like...my grandpa would always bring over a box or two of small chips and pretzels and we would usually just have a handful of assorted candy left over.

advance to adulthood - when i married and moved out into our first place we avg about 3 ToTs :eek::mad: a year, fast forward to last october to our new house we just bought... and we got 2...count them 2 Tots... because no one knew the house was bought on the street, and since we closed on the house mid october... i was unable to decorate at all... so everyone thought the house was still empty.

THIS YEAR however... I plan on doing things up right and seeing how many we can pull in. until then... pass me the bag o Charlston Chews... AND SMARTIES :) :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts