Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This "idea" formed last year, November 1st. How or what could we do to add a photo-op scene for our yard/home display?
The pillory came to mind rather quickly, as my theme is primarily pirates in the 17th century style.
Of course, in those heady days of seeking inspiriation, I thought they were called "stocks", and thus set out in my search for a prop I could build!
Oh, how young and simple was I, back then in 2019!
Alas, a search for "stocks" gave me lots of links to Wall Street investment firms and wealth management teams. I saved that for my wife to look into, for I always need capitol for these projects!
Then to "stockade" I trundled, but, here I was met with forts and fences.
What the Heck are these things called that trap your head and hands between two slabs of wood like a grisly sandwich?
Aha!
It's a Pillory!
Now we're talkin'! Zounds and Gadzooks, the very air abounds in pillories now!
So, on to finding the plans for these things...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, I have practiced proper vernacular and found my query; now- how much material is required to construct such a diabolical contraption? How tall should this be?
The biggest question, and perhaps the most important (to my spouse, at least)..
Where in the world am I going to store this thing once I build it?
Okay, if we ever stopped to worry about "where to store something", we'd never get anything built!
Answers to all these questions were not readily apparent.
This forum has provided refuge, shelter, and insight, once again! I found several threads that mentioned,highlighted, and featured ye olde machines of shame, and some great pictures with which to create such a thing.
So here are some measurements I found, and ultimately, used for my pillory. They are hand drawn, so please forgive the lack of scale! I wanted to include the measurements for the bigger pillory in case you, good reader, might be so emboldened to take on such an endeavor!
This first set of measurements came from a Youtube video that was very helpful, but it was quite tall and featured a pair of pillories for kiddies and adults-

This next set was the measurements I used, as I had already gathered the wood from a construction site dumpster (and only the dumpster)-

I essentially downsized the bigger version, using two 2x6's at a length of 4ft for the incarceration section.
With these dazzlingly technical renderings in hand, and materials hastily gathered, let's away to the build!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was the deceivingly tricky part. I was at first working on my sloped driveway, soon realizing that I needed, nay, insisted that the surface to level for a proper pillory! No catiwampus or cockeyed tomfoolery here, no indeedy!
The feet, prior to being cut at 30" length and beveled (the beveled test piece photobombed the shot)-

The 4x3 posts, five ft tall-

This was rough cut wood, used, I believe, for concrete forms. It was the perfect texture for such a dastardly device
Now, the pillory planks (my own name for the two pieces of wood with holes cut out)-

The holes are cut 8 inches for the head, and 6 inches for the hands

I used some gel stain in mahogany, and then weathered with the usual techniques using black, light tan, and lots of water! The tan actually turned grey as it died.
I used 3/8 inch lag bolts for wood, 3 inches in length. A combination of 2" and 3" long cabinet screws were used to put it all together.
The bottom of the lower pillory plank is 38 1/2" from the ground, making the head hole 40" from the ground. I think I'll make a little step stool for the miniature-sized Totr's.

And here is the finished pillory!-

I found a skeleton bird (Parrot? Raven? Sparrow?) and a skeleton rat (Templeton?) at the dollar store last week, and they made perfect additions to the pillory. I'm thinking of getting a gooey eye ball and putting it in the bird's beak! We get lots of little kids at our house for ToT, so that might not happen; we'll see...

Now I'm ready for this year's Hallowe'en hijinx with my very own pillory photo-op prop!
It is amazing what a great resource of usable wood a construction site dumpster (and Only the dumpster) can be!!
Hope this can be useful for anyone who might be endeavoring to add something of this sort to your own Hallowe'en haunt
Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that's where mine is going to end up, too! If nothing else, it will enhance the patina!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought the pillory needed a little something; some metal straps to give the whole thing a feeling of age and maintenance completed to keep it in working order.
So, I added some!

I'm going to feather out the "metal" look a bit more, but for now, it's more to my liking!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts