Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jack's dead.

Reconstruction was going so well, with the legs actually in better porportion this year...

Gave his body the first coat of red paint yesterday, woke this morning to find he had fallen over last night. :eek:

Head rolling around on the ground, no neck left to really get a good re-attachment. I'm at a loss, broke right at the base of the head at the styrofoam wig head. The hand holding the ball appears it may be busted as well, I didn't take the plastic covering off of it to check, but it was wobbling around. Might be salvageable.

Bah. REALLY wanted to make those across the street neighbors scratch their heads with Chirstmas this year...

Now, Zero is rather pointless to finish as well. :(

·
Grave Rigger
982 Posts
Oh come on! There's still time to fix it. Think how pissed off the neighbors will be with it up...that will keep you motivated:D

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, but we were going to have him out TONIGHT. Possibly Zero too. (who just needs his body sewn on right now)

:(

Ruined my morning.

Yeah, I got to somehow. Rolling ideas over in my head. The head is intact, just the neck gone, which is how I had the head attached.

Thinking I can just core out the head to fit my 1 1/2" PVC and get a longer PVC pipe for the neck, since that's a + connection there at the neck/shoulders anyway.

Would need some kind of glue that will bond the styrofoam to the PVC to keep the head from twisting in the wind...we'll see if my old standby will work.

On the plus side, I am on holiday hours, so get home at 3PM today.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Would need some kind of glue that will bond the styrofoam to the PVC to keep the head from twisting in the wind...we'll see if my old standby will work.
How about door/window caulk. I've been using it to glue my styrofoam tombstones to plywood backings and it's been holding up well.

The Pod

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Really impressed with your photos of Jack. I just saw the movie for the first time last month and I think you really captured him. You can't give up! He needs you!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Your jack looks great, now get out there and rebuild him (well his neck/head). PCV and the calking should work. When you do get him fixed, put up pics of his post recovery.

·
AntiChrist Superstar
1,418 Posts
When I made my Santa Jack, I made it almost bombproof, he has had some 30+ mph winds thrown at him and he took it with ease. I used a pvc skeleton with pvc cement on most joints except his arms and head. I wanted to be able to store him. I also am using a three point anchor system to the roof with straps that go under the shingles. I also like using silicone when I glue. It takes the cold weather better. You could try that to attach the head back. Good Luck.

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bah!

Went out on lunch break, and NO ONE in this town has any G40 bulbs for Zero's Nose. Target seems the only one to carry them anymore, and they're sold out.

Everyone was selling strings of the things just 2 years ago!

There's 1 more Target in driving distance, or I'll have to go steal one from my totems in storage.

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I made my Santa Jack, I made it almost bombproof, he has had some 30+ mph winds thrown at him and he took it with ease. I used a pvc skeleton with pvc cement on most joints except his arms and head. I wanted to be able to store him. I also am using a three point anchor system to the roof with straps that go under the shingles. I also like using silicone when I glue. It takes the cold weather better. You could try that to attach the head back. Good Luck.
Oh, this one's solid once he's outside anchored on his rebar supports. It's just too cold to paint outdoors, and the tree stand that couldn't withstand the wind this morning when my wife pulled into the garage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts