Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Ani Motion Frankenstein mask and would like to automate the jaw moving up and down. Has anybody done this before? I suppose I could put a small pneumatic cylinder in the mouth but would rather have it cycle it up and down with a motor (actuator?) without having to be particularly fast or attached to any other system.

Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will you be wearing the mask? Do you have pics? Front and back would help alot as well as dimensions.
I was planning on mounting the mask, not wearing it. It is this one:

Animotion.jpg

It works with pressure from a person's chin to open the mouth. The chin travel looks to be about 3/4" while the mouth opens comfortably about 1.75" at most. The internal frame is plastic and the top of the mask seems well suited for attaching a mount (below the hair).

Here is the inside:

animotion2.jpg

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you check out the cheap and easy monster in a box thread you will see a car door lock actuator being used. Its a cheap and using system, battery operated, however its a fast movement and is operated via a remote control so you would need to hit a button to activate the mouth. It may not be ideal, but worth looking at.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you check out the cheap and easy monster in a box thread you will see a car door lock actuator being used. Its a cheap and using system, battery operated, however its a fast movement and is operated via a remote control so you would need to hit a button to activate the mouth. It may not be ideal, but worth looking at.
Interesting suggestion. Certainly cheap on Amazon. If I took this route I would want to have it trigger cyclically. An infinite loop relay timer like this one might do the trick.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would consider placing a deer motor inside the head with an oval shaped cam. When the skinny sides are vertical the mouth will be closed. When it rotates to the long sides being vertical the jaw will open. I plan on doing this with an Animotion mask myself for chained werewolf prop next year.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
A few years ago a member here posted details on how he animated a mask. He used one if those trash grabbers. One of the claws attached to the top part of the mask, the other to the bottom jaw. He then used a very short-throw air cylinder to activate the squeeze handle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts