Halloween Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started on a series of Halloween inspired vintage Sideshow exhibits out of antique parts and pieces (right down to old rusty nails and slot screws). I have an Art installment in Jan. but they will make their first debut at my Halloween party (sideshow inspired of course)
Wood Wall Plank Tree Hardwood

I started with an old Underwood Typewriter crate I had in the yard. (resized for my purposes)
Wood

All the fresh cuts in the wood where given a heavy dose of a vinegar and steel wool solution.
The cut edge of the topper above was the same color as the fresh cut piece of wood beside it before treatment.
Wood Wire Metal

The part of the crate I used for the topper upon close inspection reads "New York and in all principal cites"
Metal Coin Gold Currency Money

Found this 1960's repo of an old cat house token which inspired the name/theme.
Text Font Wood

Every good side show exhibit needs some advertising. My process for old and creepy banners.....
Tattoo Collection Comics Games Art

1. Paint/sew/grommet
2. Flat black spray paint
3. Sew patches
4. My favorite, beat with hammer
5. It gets the hose
6. Dry
7. Stain with tea (10+ tea bags per litre)
8. Sit back and admire your ratty, dirty mess. ;)
Still life Wood

The old medical mount skeleton came out of an old Odd fellows lodge years ago and between you and me, it didn't come cheap. (Don't tell the wife) :p The light was actually an old porch light (turned upside down) that I removed from the last home I renovated and the candle lights I've had for years. I'm always looking for more of these 1 piece bulbs but these are the only ones I've ever come across that don't have a cardboard tube and separate bulb.
I gutted one of those cupboard screamers and hid the light sensor in the base of the exhibit. Now with a well placed beam of light Wendy screams as the viewer walks away. (When they stop blocking the light) You can see the video here.

http://vid148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/icyuodd/icyuodd001/MVI_9478_zpskmi0jorq.mp4

Managed to find some old cast iron legs online and that was pretty much all I needed to finish this project off right
Art Wood Carving

Lampshade Lighting accessory Lamp Lighting Antique

And with that it's time to move on to the next. Milo Swim, the Gilled Midget. Hope ya enjoyed my little sideshow build. Happy haunting!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I don't know that I would be using actual human remains... could open some problems with law enforcement, but the design is awesome.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not overly concerned about Law Enforcement. It's a 100+ year old medical mount purchased from a very reputable dealer (with paperwork stating where it originated) Besides it's just a Halloween prop. ;)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Started part 2 of this project. Milo Swim's remains. (the gilled midget) Again inspired/ fashioned from vintage artifacts to sell it's age (right down to the slot screws and barbaric 6volt pinball wiring. Milo is actually a mummified pike skull. Found the dive helmet, built the suit Still lots of work to do, but it is coming along nicely if I do say so myself. The plaque will read.... " "Milo Swim, the Gilled midget lived out his life in the quaint town of Port Dover Canada. If it wasn't for the aid of this tiny little dive suit turned water suit, he wouldn't have lasted the evening of his birth. Let him die or confine him to a sack of water for 57 years, we're not sure which would have been more humane."
Room Furniture Shelf

Room Antique

Antique Art

Auto part Headlamp Automotive lighting Personal protective equipment Metal

Metal Cylinder

Electrical wiring Metal Lock

Edit. Sorry about the horizontal images, not sure why this forum insists on changing the orientation of said images.

·
Registered
426 Posts
HOLY [email protected] I love what you've done with this. I'm so impressed with the realism, the detailing, the distressing! Fantastic execution, and so inspiring since I'm doing a Carnival theme next year with a sideshow. Thank you for posting, and explaining how you made and distressed the signage-- I've been debating how I'd make vintage looking signage.

And I must say, the skeleton is the perfect touch. Nothing to worry about since you have the paperwork for it; and in some states, paperwork/documentation/permits aren't even necessary. The cast iron legs make the display. Where did you find them? Ebay? Craigslist? I know what I'm looking for now! LOL.

Just wanted to compliment your excellent work! Looking forward to seeing more!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the kind words. I found the legs on Kijiji (Canadian, similar to Craigslist) guy has 20+ sets (restaurant close auction) I paid $45 each but they are cast and weigh a good 40lbs. If ya have any questions when the time comes to do you own banner, feel free to hit me up. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.