Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..I have just completed a pneumatic animatronic Tiki Totem pole. His name is Tahula, and he stands 7 feet tall. His mouth can be synchronized to ANY audio input (without music)...Anyone have any ideas as to what this guy can say? I have been testing him with Disney's Haunted Mansion audio, but I'm looking for some Hawaiian, Polynesian, or even some funny MP3's or WAV files...I can burn the audio onto a CD, and play it back through the controller, and it will synch its mouth to the audio...unfortunately, there can be no background noise or music, or it will "trip" the controller and respond accordingly causing "chatter"....any ideas on where I can find some cool phrases for him to repeat?

Thanks in advance...:) oh, and by the way, Tahula is the guy on the right...LOL

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hey that is really cool! If I were you I would spend my time recording my own audio tracks rather than trying to find some already done that were appropriate. You would need a decent USB microphone and a quiet place to do the recording but even with some of the free audio software out there like Audacity you can add some amazing effects to your own voice. I did this for a talking skull this past year and had people in stitches laughing with some of the tracks I came up with. You could start with "Whats a matter - never saw a talking totem pole before?" Please post some videos with whatever you end up with - we would love to see them!

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Speaking of Disney sounds, I wonder if the tiki chants from the Enchanted Tiki Room are available? Those are kind of ominous-sounding. Beautiful prop!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ya'll...

Azdude, good idea...I have Audacity...I'll just have to get a USB mic and try myself...I really suck at the "creative" end of voice-recordings..LOL...:)

Otaku, I have been all over the net looking for just that!!! All I can find is the Tiki room audio the music / background noise mixed in...I'd love to just have the audio from the talking totems..actually, the whole concept came from just that...We went to Disney back in February, and sat right next to one of the totems in the Enchanted Tiki Room...my 3 year old looked up at me and said "daddy, you can make one like that, can't you"...thus, Tahula was born...LOL...

Thanks gang...:D

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
Great job on the pole! I would love to see this thing in action. (Video, please!) So the mouth moves and the eyes light up?

If you do use Audacity, I would definitely suggest boosting the bass and using a superwoofer or some speakers with great bass.

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
Re: music and voice together...

You could use audacity to place the voice track with music on one channel, and record tones or your own voice ( I just blow into the mic) on the other channel in sync to the voice only. Play the voice/music on one channel, not hooked to your mouth circuit but through a speaker only. Play your tones/own voice/mic blows into your controller with no speaker. your mouth will move in sync with vocals without being disturbed by the music. It will really add a new dimension to the performance when it sings to music.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts