Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do stereo speaker output jacks share a common ground wire? I'm trying to get from here to there with speaker wire. I never really thought about it until I started needing to go to devices with a 3.5mm input jack (like the guitar playing skeleton I have to build now - Thanks a lot Jman!)

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Do stereo speaker output jacks share a common ground wire? I'm trying to get from here to there with speaker wire. I never really thought about it until I started needing to go to devices with a 3.5mm input jack (like the guitar playing skeleton I have to build now - Thanks a lot Jman!)

View attachment 716630
If you're referring to amplified outputs, it depends on the amp. Some have a common ground for both channels, some don't. You can check continuity of the GND's with a meter. Glad I inspired you with the guitar skelly!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some have a common ground for both channels, some don't.
Ohm's law states that Russell will never understand electronics. So if I was to feed stereo audio from this amp to device with a 3.5mm jack I should use the REC OUT with a common ground?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Ohm's law states that Russell will never understand electronics. So if I was to feed stereo audio from this amp to device with a 3.5mm jack I should use the REC OUT with a common ground?

View attachment 716696

View attachment 716697
That is correct, the POS & NEG at the speaker connection are amplified and each set is isolated. When an amp is wired this way you should never cross the streams. 🎃👻
3.5mm stereo jacks are typically used for line level audio, not amplified.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
J-man - Question (1 of a 1,000) about your guitar skelly (will also apply to the Squaker talker board I got from your years ago - I know where it is and I swear I'm going to get around to it - anyway I digress) ------------ Do you use an unamplified (line out) audio source and split it to the servo controller (skull and hand) and then to powered speakers with volume control (like a PC would use)?

My skull controller wants max volume from my AMPs REC OUT for right mouth movement the but its way too loud from my AMPS SPEAKER OUTPUT. I'm afraid I'm headed down a deep rabbit hole trying to use my amp up front.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
J-man - Question (2 of a 1,000) - you said, "The mouth sync was done by simply isolating the vocals on one track and feeding it to one of my Audio Servo Controllers". Did you use audacity noise reduction to do the isolation and was your source an mp3?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Are you sure the Rec Out signal is changing when you adjust the volume control? Normally this signal is not amplified because the purpose is to send the cleanest signal possible to your tape recorder. Can you share the model number of your amp?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes -- I don't mind bugging J-Man but didn't mean to drag everybody into my ignorance!

re: "Are you sure it's changing" - well no but the skull servo controller seems to respond better when the volume is increased. I suppose i could hook the REC OUT to another amp and listen to it while I adjust the volume of the source amp.

Pyle Pro PTAU45

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Sorry for the late response on this, just got home. If you're using one of my controllers, you can increase the response via the GAIN pot. Get the volume set so amplified output is where you want it and then adjust the GAIN pot just a hair at a time until you get good response.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
J-man - Question (1 of a 1,000) about your guitar skelly (will also apply to the Squaker talker board I got from your years ago - I know where it is and I swear I'm going to get around to it - anyway I digress) ------------ Do you use an unamplified (line out) audio source and split it to the servo controller (skull and hand) and then to powered speakers with volume control (like a PC would use)?

My skull controller wants max volume from my AMPs REC OUT for right mouth movement the but its way too loud from my AMPS SPEAKER OUTPUT. I'm afraid I'm headed down a deep rabbit hole trying to use my amp up front.
The controller needs a line level signal so yes, it either goes to the controller and then to the amp, OR, the line level signal gets split and goes to each. The arm movement of the guitar skelly is actually programmed into microcontroller and not audio driven.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
J-man - Question (2 of a 1,000) - you said, "The mouth sync was done by simply isolating the vocals on one track and feeding it to one of my Audio Servo Controllers". Did you use audacity noise reduction to do the isolation and was your source an mp3?
No noise reduction, I simply chopped out all of the audio except the sections with vocals and then saved that on one channel which gets fed to the controller.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I simply chopped out all of the audio except the sections with vocals.
This seemed to solve all my problems. Left channel with silenced instruments - REC OUT to controller - Right channel SPEAKER OUT (instruments and vocals) to a speaker.

Before and after video videos here .

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before and after video videos here . [the link disappeared in the previous post]

link

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Suppose the only output from an amp I use is " POS & NEG at the speaker connection are amplified and each set is isolated", the internet tells me "A line output converter, or LOC for short, converts a speaker-level output signal into an RCA preamp-level signal." Could I use an LOC line output to the controller?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Suppose the only output from an amp I use is " POS & NEG at the speaker connection are amplified and each set is isolated", the internet tells me "A line output converter, or LOC for short, converts a speaker-level output signal into an RCA preamp-level signal." Could I use an LOC line output to the controller?
Yes 🎃

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Drummer in progress. J-Man if I start a server thread next year, will you play? Are there hi-torque servo motors with a small foot print or are servo motors weaker than other motors used for props?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts