Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm fixing supper in the kitchen Sunday night when a knock comes to my back door. I opened the door and did not see the local villagers with pitchforks and torches, But a rather upset Lady.

Each year for 5 Yrs. I do a yard haunt. I make life size monsters and villains (Jack the Ripper, Lizzy Borden etc.) and display them on the lawn with homemade tombstones, Jack-O -Lanterns, skull torches etc. Kids love em. Parents love em. 2Yrs. ago the local paper put my yard on page one with a bit about my "Unique" creations. The lady on my doorstep however did not like them at all.

She told me that when she drives by my display scares her son out of his mind! "How old is your son?", I asked. "Well he is 9 and because of those things in your yard he is having nightmares" She went on to say that my zombie (close to the road) is the most disturbing of all.

She told me she and some of her church friends called the local cops to see if they can make me take it all down. They told her if it was a public hazard or racially offensive or on public property, then yes, but otherwise no nothing they can do because I am not violating any law or ordinance.

so in frustration she came to ask me to get rid of it all or at least the zombie (I call her "Demona") She went on to inform me she was a Christian woman and believes the Devil is real and uses decorations like that to call people to serve Satin.

I told her I was sorry she had such a sensitive 9 Yr. old and was having nightmares but I had no intention of denying the majority of neighborhood kids who look forward to seeing my props every Halloween. I told her that even before Halloween I have parents with their kids knock on my door to ask permission to pose with my props to take pictures!

We debated the point for a bit but I stood firm. I did offer a compromise and offered to move my zombie back from the road and place her further back in the yard where she would not be quite as conspicuous to passers by. She seemed happy with this small victory and left.

I have been thinking about this and can't help but wonder...1) If her kid was that upset why not take another route until after Halloween?
2) Why not tell her delicate son that it is all make believe? 3) How strong is HER Christian faith if she thinks her God cannot protect them from a paper mache mannequin? 4) Why cant these Christian extremists just do their lame "Trunk Or Treat" in the church parking lots...and leave the rest of us alone? :p:p:p:p:p If you would like to see the props in question...visit my "Album" on this forum.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Well, we had 2 years ago, after Halloween night, around 10:00pm, as we are putting stuff away for another year, a mother and her fat 13 year old kid "looked like a real SNOWFLAKE" coming inside the haunt. We ask her why she is here with "Bubble", as we are busy putting every away. She start ranting that she can only go out late after everything is put away because her son is too scared to go at houses with Halloween decoration, and wanted candy for his fatass (when I say fatass, I mean FATASS, 13 year old, and he was more than 200 pounds already, and he did not have any mental disorter, just a precious Snowflake).

Me and my wife, we were looking at each other, kind of shock of the situation. I got some candies left overs as he was walkign around and I kid you not, he actually said outloud "Mother, theses things frightens me, I am so scared..." as he look as a few of the left over props. We chuckled a bit and gave the candy and watch them waddle along with his obeses mother (she, she was too, very fat... shocker!) to their van.

No offence to "bigger" people, but the entire thing was surreal.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I wonder what was worse to her, that her son was so disturbed or her own fears that things that look evil actually do harbour evil powers.
I agree Mark, her strong faith should be strong enough to keep her from being so worried about things she finds evil.
Also think it was good of you to compromise a bit as you did.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, we had 2 years ago, after Halloween night, around 10:00pm, as we are putting stuff away for another year, a mother and her fat 13 year old kid "looked like a real SNOWFLAKE" coming inside the haunt. We ask her why she is here with "Bubble", as we are busy putting every away. She start ranting that she can only go out late after everything is put away because her son is too scared to go at houses with Halloween decoration, and wanted candy for his fatass (when I say fatass, I mean FATASS, 13 year old, and he was more than 200 pounds already, and he did not have any mental disorter, just a precious Snowflake).

Me and my wife, we were looking at each other, kind of shock of the situation. I got some candies left overs as he was walkign around and I kid you not, he actually said outloud "Mother, theses things frightens me, I am so scared..." as he look as a few of the left over props. We chuckled a bit and gave the candy and watch them waddle along with his obeses mother (she, she was too, very fat... shocker!) to their van.

Crazy huh? She said her little precious one was 9Yrs. old....Bloody hell.....At 9 I was making monsters ...not scared of em!

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
I love the meddling nannies... glad you held firm but were reasonable with her.

I want to say that while we aren't religious etc, we do attend our kids' trunk or treat (in addition to traditional tot-ing), and the parents really go all out. It's really a lot of fun to see how people can decorate a space and the kids rack up on loot. Not one person ever tries to save us. ha!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder what was worse to her, that her son was so disturbed or her own fears that things that look evil actually do harbour evil powers.
I agree Mark, her strong faith should be strong enough to keep her from being so worried about things she finds evil.
Also think it was good of you to compromise a bit as you did.
Thanks. I like to think I am a reasonable man and I try to respect all beliefs , but Bible thumping Christan extremists like this make it hard! And all over what? A decoration. She was a rather hefty kind of fanatic too...she will be very popular when the next Zombie Apocalypse comes MUH Ha ha ha ha haaaaa!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I love the meddling nannies... glad you held firm but were reasonable with her.

I want to say that while we aren't religious etc, we do attend our kids' trunk or treat (in addition to traditional tot-ing), and the parents really go all out. It's really a lot of fun to see how people can decorate a space and the kids rack up on loot. Not one person ever tries to save us. ha!
My parents moved to a rural area so if mom wants to hand out candy, has no choice but to go in town to "Trunk or Treat". They do not allow anything scary, no devils, etc. Any I've seen also usually hand out the Christian comic books / coloring books.

They are not my thing, and I really dislike them trying to extinguish REAL Halloween trick or treat tradition.

·
Registered
152 Posts
There's just so much to comment about in this thread I don't know where to start. I am a Christian and was actually just ordained as a Deacon two weeks ago. Many of my beliefs might offend people on this forum if you want to know more about them feel free to ask. I love to read threads like this and either shake my head or just plain laugh at the way people act. For the past 7 years we've put out a fenced in cemetery and boarded up the windows and various other props. Just finished a giant spider that's sitting amid the tombstones now. This is the first year I've encountered anything close to the weird antics some have seen. When we were setting up this year two guys pulled up across the street and started looking around the neighborhood. Dressed in slacks white button down shirts and ties I guessed what they were doing. They came over and offered me a pamphlet for a Baptist church ( I'm also Baptist) in the next city over. I took it politely and one asked if I attended church anywhere. I answered yes and told him my wife and I were both members and that was to be ordained as a Deacon in a week. The other guy's eyes widened and he surveyed the tombstones, gravedigger, cart filled with bones. IMO he did not approve. The guy talking to me paused maybe half a second and never missed a beat. He said " That answers my next question. I assume you are saved, most people don't become Deacons that aren't." I laughed and said yes I was. I handed him his pamphlet back and they headed down the street. That's my one encounter so far. I keep waiting each year for some crazy to come stomping up the walk though. As far as the Trunk or Treating goes, we're doing one again this year. This saturday we're having a Fall Festival in the afternoon followed by Trunk or Treat at dusk. I don't care for the name Fall Festival myself. Big party with games, candy, costumes sounds like Halloween to me. When we first came to this church 3 years ago the pastor at the time strongly suggested we find different costumes when we said we were coming as the Addams Family. We agreed to and came as the gang from Charlie Brown. Decorated the SUV as a pumpkin patch and played The Great Pumpkin on DVD all night. The following year he again balked at the Addams Family, we figured if you don't know us by now, well. The Addams it was. I can understand not wanting things too dark for a church event but to me dark would be more of the blood and gore stuff. I had someone ask the other day if their daughter would be okay wearing her undead fairy costume. I said sure why not it's Halloween. One thing that I wanted to add to the discussion is something that I found out from an older member the other day. She was telling me that back in the late 70's early 80's the church would have Halloween parties where they would have a haunted house in the basement complete with witches, vampires, and werewolves. They would hang ghosts in the trees and chase people through the graveyard out back of the church. I can't imagine doing that today. I'd love to mind you. Sorry for the long post.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Man, I must have an Addams Family distortion filter installed.

What was written was:

When we first came to this church 3 years ago the pastor at the time strongly suggested we find different costumes when we said we were coming as the Addams Family. We agreed to and came as the gang from Charlie Brown.
What I read was: "When we first came to this church 3 years ago the pastor at the time strongly suggested we find different costumes when we said we were coming as the Addams Family. We agreed to and came as the chain[\i]gang from Charlie Brown."

Dressed as a prison chain gang based on the characters from Peanuts would have been just as odd as the Addams Family. :D

That aside, positing a weakness of faith in those complaining on religious grounds always wins, no matter the religion or situation. I used to work with an excessively religious Muslim dude at one job, and without fail, every damned day through almost the entire summer, he would complain about how all our female coworkers dressed and how it violated his morale and religious sensibilities. I finally got sick of it and told him "You know what? God told you women have to dress like that because He has already given up on you as being too weak and pathetic to resist that particular temptation." I kid you not, I heard later that week that he spent the entire afternoon in the men's room crying that day. And thanks to him, that was the only job I ever refused for a contract extension.

So yes! Question their faith and strength, point out their weakness and fear! Temptation exists in this world because God demands you be tested! Shut up, stop *****ing and resist already! And remember, whining is an display of weakness and fear! So stop complaining!

·
Undertaker
3,190 Posts

I feel really bad for the kid....He's overweight, his mother is obese and everyone makes fun of him.

How truly sad.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Blarghity. That's hilarious. Strother Martin standing before them, "What we have here is a failure to communicate." Brings a whole different feel to Charlie Brown saying. :All I got was a rock." Thanks for the laugh.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's just so much to comment about in this thread I don't know where to start. I am a Christian and was actually just ordained as a Deacon two weeks ago. Many of my beliefs might offend people on this forum if you want to know more about them feel free to ask. I love to read threads like this and either shake my head or just plain laugh at the way people act. For the past 7 years we've put out a fenced in cemetery and boarded up the windows and various other props. Just finished a giant spider that's sitting amid the tombstones now. This is the first year I've encountered anything close to the weird antics some have seen. When we were setting up this year two guys pulled up across the street and started looking around the neighborhood. Dressed in slacks white button down shirts and ties I guessed what they were doing. They came over and offered me a pamphlet for a Baptist church ( I'm also Baptist) in the next city over. I took it politely and one asked if I attended church anywhere. I answered yes and told him my wife and I were both members and that was to be ordained as a Deacon in a week. The other guy's eyes widened and he surveyed the tombstones, gravedigger, cart filled with bones. IMO he did not approve. The guy talking to me paused maybe half a second and never missed a beat. He said " That answers my next question. I assume you are saved, most people don't become Deacons that aren't." I laughed and said yes I was. I handed him his pamphlet back and they headed down the street. That's my one encounter so far. I keep waiting each year for some crazy to come stomping up the walk though. As far as the Trunk or Treating goes, we're doing one again this year. This saturday we're having a Fall Festival in the afternoon followed by Trunk or Treat at dusk. I don't care for the name Fall Festival myself. Big party with games, candy, costumes sounds like Halloween to me. When we first came to this church 3 years ago the pastor at the time strongly suggested we find different costumes when we said we were coming as the Addams Family. We agreed to and came as the gang from Charlie Brown. Decorated the SUV as a pumpkin patch and played The Great Pumpkin on DVD all night. The following year he again balked at the Addams Family, we figured if you don't know us by now, well. The Addams it was. I can understand not wanting things too dark for a church event but to me dark would be more of the blood and gore stuff. I had someone ask the other day if their daughter would be okay wearing her undead fairy costume. I said sure why not it's Halloween. One thing that I wanted to add to the discussion is something that I found out from an older member the other day. She was telling me that back in the late 70's early 80's the church would have Halloween parties where they would have a haunted house in the basement complete with witches, vampires, and werewolves. They would hang ghosts in the trees and chase people through the graveyard out back of the church. I can't imagine doing that today. I'd love to mind you. Sorry for the long post.
Well, I'll tell you what friend, If more preachers were like you and as open minded as you and had a sense of humor perhaps the Christian message would be a bit better received by those who want to hear it. I'd love to Trick Or Treat at your house!

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
i'm not big on questioning people's faith, but when i read about people like this lady, i have to wonder if they have any idea who christ is. apparently her bible and my bible have a different satan.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I feel really bad for the kid....He's overweight, his mother is obese and everyone makes fun of him.

How truly sad.
I truly agree, it was sad to see, for sure this kid will be (probebly is already) already being ridiculed and tormented, all his mother's fault too, in my opinion.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Christian, Jew, Islam, whatever, over protective parents, well-meaning though they may be, can cause a lot of pain and anguish for their children. I've seen several of these kids, friends of my own children, rebel in the opposite direction, and it's not pretty.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I am a Christian and go to church. I have often wondered if fellow church members frown on Halloween. Bottom line is even if they do that is their opinion and I would not change who I am. For personal reasons I don't do blood and gore but don't look down on those that do. I think it was nice of you to move the zombie but would not think you would have been wrong to tell her to find another rout. The problem with some Christians is they make up their own rules. Show me in the Bible where I should not do certain things and I will reconsider my way of thinking. Like churches that say women have to wear dresses or they don't allow musical instruments or don't believe in Doctors or Holidays. Show me where in the Bible it says these things. Ok rant over, keep doing what your doing and just know all Christians are not the same.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
Christian, Jew, Islam, whatever, over protective parents, well-meaning though they may be, can cause a lot of pain and anguish for their children. I've seen several of these kids, friends of my own children, rebel in the opposite direction, and it's not pretty.
Same here. I know several relatives & friends of my husband's that went the complete opposite direction of what most would consider Godliness because their parents crammed some crazy version of religion down their throat.

She should give us 7 Hail Marys & 4 Our Fathers because she seems to be doubting her faith & her God. Such a shame that some think such puny idols could shake someone's faith.

I'm glad you came to an amicable ending though.

·
Ridin' The Storm Out
1,076 Posts
What is it with people attacking Halloween displays this year?? I've seen no less than FOUR news stories about neighbors complaining to the police about people's yard displays! What makes people think they have the right to dictate what someone else does in their own home, on their own property?? I just do not understand it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts