Halloween Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 1471 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Dear Victim (this note is for my victim only, everyone else please stiop reading),

I have unexpectedly been laid-up so to speak. However, I don't want you to get the impression that I have forgotten about you. I have solicited the help of a friendly magic jinn that reassured me a few minutes ago that your reap is on it's way. So stay tuned my dearest victim! All is well and your reap is making it's way to your door. Be on the lookout for a box or two soon my dearest!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Shipping deadline is the 14th!
Wow, only five days to go! It seems like yesterday we were all demanding our victim. And what fun we've had over the last few weeks!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'll bring this up, again, for those who may not have seen my earlier tip or don't already know:

Unless you have something really heavy and smaller items, I've always found I could fit more things in and pay less for my own box rather than a USPS flat rate box. If you keep the size of the box 12 x 12 or under, the price stays fairly low to ship. You can check your shipping rates on their website by entering in the zip codes, size of box and the weight (which, if you don't have a scale handy for boxes, you can just weigh yourself on a bathroom scale, step off, pick up your box of items (unsealed in case you need to make item adjustments for weight), step back on the scale, take the difference of the two weights and that would be your box weight. Once you enter that all in, you can see your shipping options and prices. Regular priority shipping is usually best.
Thank you WitchyKitty!!! Also, for what it's worth, a smaller box, where things fit tighter, is safer and results in less damage than a larger box where items can move around and bang against each other. The postal service is not gentle with their handling of packages as we all know! But be sure to cushion the items with bubble wrap or peanuts between them. This is cheaper than newspaper because newspaper adds weight with almost no protection (i.e. cushion) while peanuts and bubble wrap do not add weight and cushions really well. I have received items in boxes that were too big for the contents. The large box caused considerable breakage even to wood and resin pieces and bent metal items while costing the reaper more money for postage. Of course things get damaged in shipping despite our best efforts but I like to hedge my bets.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Well, the post office lost my delivery of something I was going to make for my victim. The company is shipping out another one, but who knows how long that will take. Only five days left? I'll be lucky to make it on time this year. Hope my other projects go well.....

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
Thank you WitchyKitty!!! Also, for what it's worth, a smaller box, where things fit tighter, is safer and results in less damage than a larger box where items can move around and bang against each other. The postal service is not gentle with their handling of packages as we all know! But be sure to cushion the items with bubble wrap or peanuts between them. This is cheaper than newspaper because newspaper adds weight with almost no protection (i.e. cushion) while peanuts and bubble wrap do not add weight and cushions really well. I have received items in boxes that were too big for the contents. The large box caused considerable breakage even to wood and resin pieces and bent metal items while costing the reaper more money for postage. Of course things get damaged in shipping despite our best efforts but I like to hedge my bets.
So true! I mentioned the whole packing thing back at the beginning, but forgot to bring it up, again.
It's so terribly upsetting for both the victim and the reaper for gifts to show up broken. Packing snugly and well is soooooo important! Yeah, the postal service/ups/FedEx have sent me many boxes that looked like they were drop kicked to my house. Do what you can to combat our delivery services occasional...maybe more than occasional...roughness and protect those precious gifts!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
Well, the post office lost my delivery of something I was going to make for my victim. The company is shipping out another one, but who knows how long that will take. Only five days left? I'll be lucky to make it on time this year. Hope my other projects go well.....
If I am your victim, I will understand. I'm sure most of us would. This stuff...annoyingly and frustratingly...happens. I hope you do get that item in super speedy delivery, though, to ease your mind!!

I'm in panic mode, now...5 days?! I have never shipped last minute. I am so behind due to weeks of a project that failed and I had to come up with something else (which, don't worry, victim, is totally better than the scrapped project!) Plus, several things that need drying time. The clock is ticking!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
If I am your victim, I will understand. I'm sure most of us would. This stuff...annoyingly and frustratingly...happens. I hope you do get that item in super speedy delivery, though, to ease your mind!!

I'm in panic mode, now...5 days?! I have never shipped last minute. I am so behind due to weeks of a project that failed and I had to come up with something else (which, don't worry, victim, is totally better than the scrapped project!) Plus, several things that need drying time. The clock is ticking!!
Me too!

·
Goats EAT Great Pumpkins
877 Posts

Five days?!?! What?!?!?!?! I’ve been so busy with school that I must’ve lost a week! How?! WHYYY?!?! My two craft projects have both failed but I was thinking I had plenty of time to figure this out. AAAAAHHHHHH! Well, might as well ship soon!

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,276 Posts
Well I’ve hit a major snafu with my largest project. Did something a little different to save time and it’s taking forever to dry and costing me more time than if I had done it the way originally planned. 90 degree heat today has helped some but unless it completely dries overnight, I can’t proceed with the next step. Other projects going good and should ship on time. Did find a few things yesterday for my victim and since it looks like I’ll likely be shipping a second package next week, I may tackle another project.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Dear Victim,
I love how your reap has turned out so far. Would you mind if i keep it, and i'll just send you a photo of the reap? It looks really great and everything, definitely worth all the frustration that i have had with it. (Don't worry, i'll send the actual item, and keep the photo for myself. sniffle ) Looks like i'm not going to be the only last minute postal run for delivery this year.........hopefully this is the first and last year i'll be last minute. Ok, on a different note, would anyone wish to be my Reaper Ghost and come finish my project while i sleep tonight? It would be like greatly appreciated.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,276 Posts
I have weird cats! Yeah, they are curious and taste the paper mache paste when I’m not looking but one of the wild little hellions ate the face off of one of my projects while I went in the house to get a drink. So I have a cat that has a taste for paste, joint compound and ground up paper. Anyone want a cat or two?

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
I have weird cats! Yeah, they are curious and taste the paper mache paste when I’m not looking but one of the wild little hellions ate the face off of one of my projects while I went in the house to get a drink. So I have a cat that has a taste for paste, joint compound and ground up paper. Anyone want a cat or two?
Hahahaahaha!!! I literally laughed out loud.

I'm sorry...I shouldn't laugh. I'm sorry your craft got eaten. That is a miserable thing to happen and I would scream and cry...probably throw things, too. I hope your cat doesn't get sick, too, from eating paste.

I only laugh because I have cats and stories like this ring soooo true to me. Cats are crazy, weird little monsters, sometimes...that are insanely adorable and I still love them to pieces, lol.

I hope you can salvage your mache craft!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
Okay, dear Victim...I finally have your gifts finished and packed up...but did I mail them, already? Will I mail them, tomorrow? Will I wait until last minute just to drag out the suspense??? I can't tell you or you would be less surprised!

Regardless, I was so worried I wouldn't even get done in time!!

Now, I am, or will be, in the next Secret Reaper stage: Worry and Anxiety of Possible Shipping Damage! Here's to hoping my delivery owls don't drop the box!!!! Everything is packed in that box "just" so and pretty snugly once all that packing material was added...

Then comes the final stage: Finding Out If Your Box and Items Made It Safely and If Your Victim Likes The Gifts...

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,276 Posts
Hahahaahaha!!! I literally laughed out loud.

I'm sorry...I shouldn't laugh. I'm sorry your craft got eaten. That is a miserable thing to happen and I would scream and cry...probably throw things, too. I hope your cat doesn't get sick, too, from eating paste.

I only laugh because I have cats and stories like this ring soooo true to me. Cats are crazy, weird little monsters, sometimes...that are insanely adorable and I still love them to pieces, lol.

I hope you can salvage your mache craft!
Don’t apologize for laughing. I’d probably have laughed to if it hadn’t been so aggravating. :) I managed to salvage the project with a little work. As for the cat, it’s wild so the only way I’d actually have a chance of catching it were if it were sick. I think it’s one of the neighbors barn cats that likes to come here to eat.

1321 - 1340 of 1471 Posts