Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a line on what I think will be a good projector to do a full home projection. It is 340 Canadian for this model.....Benq MX850UST

This is my first time trying to do a whole house projection so if you have experience doing this and you don’t think this projector will work please let me know.

BenQ Short Throw MX850UST XGA Ultra Short Throw 2500 Lumen DLP Education Projector
by BenQ
Be the first to review this item
Available from these sellers.
The Smart Eco mode is designed to use only the exact amount of lamp power a projector needs to deliver the best contrast performance
<0.5W Standby Power Consumption
Hassle-Free Projector Maintenance - The upper lamp door is designed for IT managers to replace the projector lamp safely and quickly
Security Bar to Discourage Theft
LAN Control with Crestron and PJ-Link and 20W Sound with Microphone Input
Native XGA (1024x768) Resolution
2500 ANSI Lumens; 13000:1 Contrast Ratio
0.45 Ultra Short Throw Ratio
LAN Control; Smart Eco Mode
20W Speaker; SRS WOW HDTM; Mic Input

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a possible concern for a short throw projector. I use a longer throw projector on my house - about 40-50' wide and 20' high. It sits on a tree stand, about 8' up, behind the TOTs when they walk up. I don't have any problems with trees/bushes blocking the images.
With a short throw, you'll need to find a place up close and low (low, so the projector isn't in the way of TOTs being able to see). You should check where you can locate the projector before you buy it, and make sure there are no bushes in the way.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi! I am very sorry for not responding sooner!

I will start by saying that I think you made a good choice, but you may decide differently after using it. It really boils down to some environmental, house structure and situational factors, but I will do my best to give some general ideas here.

If it doesn't work well for you after attempting it, fear not! I personally have been projecting on the whole house for a few years and have used a different model each year (I sell on ebay and buy another or use it in a window to rear project ) . My personal mantra (others may disagree) Is more Lumens and more resolution (We want brightness with minimal "screen door effect" to get the best result) .
*Screen Door effect* - when you see the pixels from low resolution projectors trying to project on really large surfaces)

I really like BenQ projectors. I have used Standard, Short Throw and Ultra Short Throw projectors by BenQ, Epson and Optoma. On the house I am now using the BenQ MW824ST and really like it. This projector is 3000-3200 Lumens and does the job well **For me** I say that because I have a street light that has a mind of its own and neighbors who are kind enough to shut off their exterior lights on Halloween (sometimes).

Your projector with 2500 Lumens should be good., but I would need a few pieces of info to know for sure. How well lit is the exterior of your house from streetlights, neighbors homes etc and what is the exterior made of and what color? I ask because the only way you may need more lumens would be if you have street lighting shining on your house or a dark (or brick) exterior. Extra lumens give the ability to have more details "pop", especially on a light colored house.

I like Rowland's set up in theory (keep the projector safe and the beam of light from getting broken by people walking past it, but I have a relatively small front yard. I can't use standard throw projectors. I have to use Short or UST to make it work. I put the candy table at the end of the driveway and the projector is behind me. It guarantees that there won't be shadows on the house from people walking through the projector light and it keeps the projector safer since it is behind me where I can keep an eye on it.

The biggest difference that I have found between UST and ST is the look of the template . With Ultra Short Throw, the bottom of the template seems to get "squished" which you have to account for when putting together what you will be projecting on the house..
For example, here is an example of a house skin from my shorth throw and Ultra short throw.. First the Short throw:
Short Throw.jpg

Now the Ultra:
Short Throw Ultra.jpg

So first things first.. When you get the projector:
-Look at the lamp hours! I have received used projectors and needed to replace the lamp because it was too dull
-Plug it in with a light home screen and shine it on your house. That will tell you if it will be able to handle the job
-Get ready to buy more! This year I will be most likely be running 5! The house is good, but to get a real pop in the windows it is better to rear project
if possible.. Last year I had one on the house, 2 in windows and another on pumpkins on the side yard.. Here it is if you haven't seen it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsP9UaH4LrI&t=56s

Lastly: Search this site for ideas and tutorials etc. There are AMAZING people doing incredible things here!
I learned from IcePick 's tutorials and modeled my software set up after his.

I hope this ramble was somewhat useful. Please feel free to ask any questions that I missed.

·
Registered
479 Posts
hey spiney. Got any recs for the cheapo amazon chinese knockoff projectors in the $100-$150 range? I'm talking about the ones that have usb inputs. I know they're mostly crap, but I just need something that's visible for rear projection through a window at night (little ambient light) onto a shower curtain. I've heard that any of the gp100 chinese projectors are decent enough and will beat the super crappy HD windowfx and wonderwall projectors.

·
Registered
272 Posts
hey spiney. Got any recs for the cheapo amazon chinese knockoff projectors in the $100-$150 range? I'm talking about the ones that have usb inputs. I know they're mostly crap, but I just need something that's visible for rear projection through a window at night (little ambient light) onto a shower curtain. I've heard that any of the gp100 chinese projectors are decent enough and will beat the super crappy HD windowfx and wonderwall projectors.
Hi!

Sorry I never touched them so I don't know. I have been lucky finding used equip with ebay etc.

I believe there are a few posts on the forum regarding options / suggestions etc . Just try a search

1 - 7 of 7 Posts