Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody.

I want to build a pumpkin scarecrow similar to the type on Pumpkinrot. My hope is to build a body with sticks and burlap, and then put on a creepy pumpkin head.

This is what I have so far. I know the first pic is hard to see, since it's just sticks. :rolleyes:

Also, the main support branch is taller now than it will be. I wanted extra length so I have some height to play with when putting the pumpkin head on.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm debating that, too. I've started a paper mache pumpkin. I might use it, I might not. I'm going to see how it turns out. If the paper mache route doesn't work, I think I'll get big pumpkin from Michaels and cave it up.

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
TK, great minds think alike, making a new head using the Stolloween model as well! Upgrading the body with vines that a buddy cut and is drying out for me

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TK, great minds think alike, making a new head using the Stolloween model as well! Upgrading the body with vines that a buddy cut and is drying out for me
HA!

Well, let me know how it goes. This is my first attempt and I really don't know what I'm doing yet. I have so many ideas, I don't really know what direction I want to go.

On the one side, I really like the all natural branch look, but I'm also tempted to build the structure out of branches and then cover the whole thing with some paper mache or monster-mud.

Just have to see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'm doing the same thing this year. I've had to scale back in all I wanted to do but, I tend to bite off more then I can swallow. lol

I've also got the pumpkins together, at least two so far, with the stolloween directions. I've cut vines out of my back yard and they have been drying for the past month. I think I'm going to mount him to boards though since I really don't have the bendable branches for ribs and arms.

By the way, love the ribs idea! It looks great so far. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've got one I made back in feb. it has a big hole in the side now from dropping something on it, I sorta lost interest in it after that, easy to fix, just need to do it....So much time and little to do!
TK when ya coming up btw?

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finished the ribs this afternoon and built the hands.

Above: the finished rib cage. I drilled large holes into the main support branch and smaller holes into the sternum. Then bent very green branches around so they could wrap and become the ribs.

Above: I started using the ht glue gun and secured bent branches to the armatures to create the hands.

Above: I clipped a bunch of thin branches (vines) from my holly tree and started wrapping them around the main armature and hand. This is what I hope to do across both hands, arms and upper torso.

Above: tried to get a better picture of the hand.

·
Good Ghoul Gone Bad
747 Posts
That looks great. I want to do one of these this year. I'm thinking about having it hold a sign (our back yard abuts a "main" road in town) advertising for Tots, then I'll move it into the pumpkin patch and either remove the sign or have the reverse say Happy Halloween or something. I've got this wood thing - don't know what it is - but I was thinking it would make a good base. What kind of branches and vines are you using?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts