Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I went dumpster diving at a local construction site. I was searching for some discarded lumber to build a pillory, and lots of 2x8's and such were poking out of of the dumpster.
*Disclaimer-I only remove lumber from the dumpster- NOT any of the miscellaneous pieces that might be laying about the construction site! Dumpster lumber ONLY
So, I was removing a few particularly haggard scraps of wood, when I spy a long length of 6" PVC pipe with a crooked-cut end! It wasn't too far down from the top of the pile, so I dragged it out. Beneath it I saw a length of 2" pipe, perfect for a trunion! I wasn't planning on building a cannon this year, but there were the main pieces, just a-winkin' at me!

Where the heck am I going to store this thing during the "off-season"? I'll figure that out later, right now I've got building to do!
Alright, here we go!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, I'm suddenly doing a lot of research on cannon building, and realizing that I don't have many of the tools that were used in the processes I was seeing. (jigsaw, table saw, lathe, are the standouts).
Also, no one was using PVC, they were using sonotube, and cutting it to make a tapered barrel. No such luck with me, this is rigid40 grade plastic, meant for commercial application. At just under 5 feet long, the barrel might not be an obvious oversight. So it's not tapered; please don't tell on me, it will just be our little secret!
Two glaring issues stand out-
How make the flared muzzle end, and how to make it look like metal instead of smooth glossy plastic.
A fantastic video by Van Oaks Props gave me my big breakthrough for the plastic-to-metal transformation! They have a video showing how make metal pipes, and highlighted Homex wall texture spray as their underlayment! Woo hoo!!
Now, about that muzzle. The outer circumference of the pipe is over 6 inches, and we had some large-diameter take-home bowl/plate things in the kitchen cupboard. I cut the middle out (the plate part) and left the raised and flared(!) outer ring. It went over the pipe fairly well, but there was now an 8" trumpet-style opening.
Aha! Back to the EVA foam for the answer! I cut two circles out of some leftover floor mat foam and hot glued everything together:

To blend and round the edges, I used Alex painter's caulk-

Good old spackling was employed to form the taper from the take-out bowl to the pipe. (Note this is all in the pre-sanding stage)--

I realized after I glued the muzzle cap on, that I should have first painted the inside of the barrel/pipe black. The truth is, I was so excited to put this concoction together, I entirely overlooked it. Not really a big deal, as I can still shoot a spray of black as it stands.
I'm letting all that dry now, so, on to the breech!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The breech was inspired by Frightmaker's cannon build, so thank you for to him for the sharing of info!!
I went with a dollar store 6" plastic bowl. Instead of a Christmas ornament, I found a little glass jar with a perfect metal cap to use as the end piece. Here they are hot glued and spackled:

That little jar with the perfect cap was actually sitting on the shelf right next to the bowl in the dollar store, and they were the only two of their kind in the store! Sometimes fate shows itself quite readily, and I'm not one to overlook good fortune!
More to come, as I apply the wall texture spray and figure out how and where on the length of the barrel/pipe to cut out holes for the trunion!
Stay tuned, and thanks for reading so far!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome start. Are you planning on adding a fog machine, flashing light, and sound?
Thank you! I am going to attempt a fog machine, as I have a small one handy. The flashing light and sound might be a project for next year, as I feel woefully unequipped to attempt such additions!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Following with interest as I have two long lengths of black PVC pipe that I scrounged from the skip at a carpet fitting shop near home (they think I'm very strange!)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's what I accomplished tonight- I drilled the 1 1/4 holes in the barrel and fitted the trunion piece through the holes. To find my opposite side to drill, I got out my cloth tape and measured from the center of the existing hole. Found the half way point and marked it for drilling. Used hot glue and spakling for the connections.

Sorting through a cabinet looking for something else, I stumbled upon this finial from a curtain rod! I drilled a pilot hole in the metal cap and screwed it down for a more finished looking breach!
Right now, it looks a bit too large, but I'll test fit and see how the proportions look.
Last thing tonight was adding some strapping to the barrel. I employed one large piece of round weatherstrip sandwiched between two small pieces of same. Hot glued and caulking with painters caulk for blending. I'm going to let that all dry and go for another strap or two tomorrow.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Two ways you could give the appearance of a taper: first, have more bands around the barrel and make them taper in thickness.

Or, wrap some polystyrene or aluminum sheeting over each section between the bands with some slight risers under it to give taper. Hard to describe, but it would wrap over the existing barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I get what you're saying, djjerme, I was thinking of that very thing as I was applying the first band. My Hobby Lobby has some EVA foam that should be long enough to wrap the barrel.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today's update! I added some 5mm EVA foam and different sized straps to give some girth to the barrel and lend the illusion of taper.

I used the thick floor mat foam for the last two straps, and sandwiched the 5mm stuff form Hobby Lobby inside the last section. I got to break out the good ol' Barge cement for the 5mm barrel wrap; boy was I glad the garage door was open! Whew, those fumes are serious!
The breech is proving to be a puzzle, as the only bowl I have is a 6inch width, but the diameter of the barrel won't allow the bowl to fit inside it like a pressure fitting, thus, there's no way to strap it or connect it to onto the barrel. I decided to roll and hot glue to inside of the bowl a section of leftover 5mm foam. That "fits" snugly into the inside circumfrence, and I shimmed the outer edges with some really thin craft foam sheeting.

I wanted to try and make the bowl/end section removable to insert a fog machine tube, but it looks like that might end up being more trouble to me than the value of sending fog out the muzzle. I was getting agitated with the foam insulation not wanting to adhere to the EVA panel, so I have left it to dry and cure until tomorrow.
Thanks for stopping by! More to come!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice work! I plan on building a circus cannon this year as well but got distracted building a ticket booth. Also I can’t find a 18” diameter tube anywhere!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Today brought some victories and a "minor" catastrophe!
First I'd like give a HUGE shout out to GreyGhost42 who had shared with me through his recent pirate thread, his schematics for a gun carriage!
The post arrived just when I was going to try and wing it, measuring by the old fashioned "eyeballin' it" method of proportion. It turned out that my rough guesstimates on the main length of the carriage were just a few inches off of his, but all the actual measurements together really made a more efficient process!

This morning's efforts started at 8am, with a mug o' joe and a speed square!

Just a reminder that all of the wood I'm using is from a dumpster dive at a local commercial construction site. All these nice pieces of usable lumber were found in the trash!
I got the measurements laid out on two 2x12's, and then turned my attention to the now-dry and ready-to-paint cannon barrel!

First coat, flat black primer-

Second coat, added some semi gloss black

When things were dry enough to move off the saw horses, I started cutting wood! I had fun with my new jigsaw, accompanied by my skilsaw and palm sander

Here is the finished carriage, sans wheels for now-

I had to wash off the construction dust and crud, I think these were concrete form boards

Now here is where I had some fun, and a heart-stopping moment!

I enlisted a few of my pirate crew to come outside to help me, and some proved to be decent ship's carpenters.

Others, not so much-

Luckily I know First Aid, so Israel Hands' hand was reattached, and we decided to close the shop until tomorrow.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice work! I plan on building a circus cannon this year as well but got distracted building a ticket booth. Also I can’t find a 18” diameter tube anywhere!
Thanks for kind words, Frogger! It might be worth cruising by your local commercial job sites and seeing if they have any leftover pieces? 18 inch diameter is pretty big!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts