Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been attempting to create a PVC stirring witch cauldron. I am having troubles keeping "her" upright. As she collapses forward without the stick holding her up. This MAIN issue is, she is "supposed" to be stirring a cauldron, so the stick is going to be moving. (So she looses her "crutch" to stay up right). I assume she is "top heavy" because of the fabric, the motor (that makes her head move) and that's what's making her collapse. 🤷‍♀️ any helpful tips to stop this would DEFINITELY be appreciated, as this is very frustrating!! (I believe the only parts of her that are glued are her knees, and mayyyybe her hips)

·
Registered
26 Posts
mayby some kind of ball on the bottom of the stick that would allow it to move on the bottom of the cauldron and support her at the same time. it might give her motion that suggests she's putting her whole body into stirring the mix. potion may have to be a bit lubricative so the ball would slide or some kind of ball and socket at the bottom. . you'd have to weight down the frame quite a bit also, sandbags or something.
just initial thoughts...

·
Registered
305 Posts
The frame has to be able to support her weight as the stick can't.
I used screws to attach the fittings to the PVC pipe rather than glue.
That way it is easier to make adjustments and store it in off season.
Mine has enough flex in PVC frame to have stir stick move her up and down slightly which looks great.
Check out my build here: Witch Stirring Cauldron
Or Cyclone Jacks here:
He talks about frame flex and I got the idea from him.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She collapsed yesterday while I moved her, so I just used her base as a demonstration.. I had been using dumb bell weights to hold her down at first.. I then created her
"cauldron" (which wouldn't be staying that color)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The frame has to be able to support her weight as the stick can't.
I used screws to attach the fittings to the PVC pipe rather than glue.
That way it is easier to make adjustments and store it in off season.
Mine has enough flex in PVC frame to have stir stick move her up and down slightly which looks great.
Check out my build here: Witch Stirring Cauldron
Or Cyclone Jacks here:
He talks about frame flex and I got the idea from him.....
If this is you that created this one/video. I F*ing love it!!!! I followed your tutorial to create her!!!! <3

·
Registered
305 Posts
I’m not Cyclone Jack but also used his design and put my touch on it
The thread on Halloween Forum I linked for you is my build with videos and more....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!!! I appreciate that!! I f*ing love your build, nicely lit too!!!! Also, is that a black sweatshirt, and a skirt for her dress??

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes it is. Thrift store dress and old black long sleeve shirt that I had but the arms were short so I extended them with ruffled sleeves from something else. I had a Witches cape but chose not to use it because it covered her up too much and made it hard to see the movement. I didn't use a PVC base... but instead have steel pegs bolted to metal plate (plywood in this picture) and the metal goes through hole in heel of shoe and inside PVC legs. Here is my frame and shoes that started off as Thrift store high heels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very niccccce!!! I LOVE the shoes!! I looked at the link you sent me, I thought that was what you did. :) I went ahead and threw some screws in the "skids" of the legs. I don't think that as an part of the problem, but I figured it would help with stability. (I ran out out of screws also, so I couldn't throw them in the top.)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks very much for the Compliments!!! I am glad to help if I can.... One thing I would change if I have her apart again is the cross bar between her legs. I put mine above the knees rather than under the knees and I should have moved it a bit further up. Maybe 1/2 way between knee and hip? I say this because the dress hangs across her knees and dips in between her legs giving a more realistic look like she has knees. I guess it depends on the clothes you put on yours? I found the cool bumble bee socks and wanted the legs to show so the shoes and socks were visible. Not important if the Witches dress goes right to ground and covers up the whole base hiding all the PVC.
Here is a more recent picture showing metal plate for base and it has the steel pegs bolted to it going into legs.

Hope that helps you some.....
Again thanks for the compliments on my Witch!
Good luck with yours
Glad to see someone else on here building something other than Tombstones.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to find a better way to cover her/dress her.. I have a simple black fabric I purchased from joanns, that has like a "cob web" black type of material shredded all over. (I love the material, but I think the exicution could be better) I pinned it in a cylindrical form for her arm, and it's just draped over her body, and pinned from behind. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
She’s looking great! Can’t wait to see her done! Her head is awesome! My first cauldron witch was years ago and based on ScareFX’s outstanding build. Think he was the one that created the concept. I started completely over last year and based my new one on Cyclone Jack’s. Must have watched his video 200 times. The movement is stellar. Weather fell apart so I couldn’t have displayed her even if we had gotten finished. Hope to finish her this weekend actually. I would agree that without being attached, pieces can and will fall apart. Guess how I know? The stick can’t support her weight though. My witch/cauldron/embers are all mounted on a long 2x4 frame with casters to move it all together. She just barely clears going into the garage without a hat. Her PVC feet are rather long and slide into long PVC tubes attached horizontally to the outsides of the 2x4 frame. Hope that makes sense.

It’s amazing how we all have a slightly different twist on this prop. Krusty, LOVE the shoes/socks!!! Great idea. You also made me rethink her clothes. I have a huge, heavy poncho thing on top with a dress that is a skirt on her and I got a bunch of fabric for a big cape. Didn’t think about the bulky clothes hiding the movement. Hmm, gotta revisit that...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts