Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just stumbled across AtmosFX and it's something I'm considering giving a try. I already own an inexpensive no name projector that I've used for sports watching in the garage and think it might work well enough to project the effects. I'm pretty sure some of you have experience with AtmosFX so can anyone recommend what to use as screen material that I could purchase from a local store? I'm interested in the Creepy Clowns decorations. If anyone has pics of your DIY screen can you please post it so I can get some ideas. And advice and help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great! Would it work if I were to build a frame for the curtain to use on my lawn somewhere and project from the front?

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
There are a lot of threads on Halloween Forum using AtmosFX's projections and using different screening material. Always fun to see what others have done. A search in the General and the Props section should give you a lot of ideas. Also the AtmosFX website has a How To section with videos that should get you started as well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have used several different screen materials. The most inexpensive is a shower liner, and frankly provides the best image IMO. This year I bought a frosted shower liner. I used Velcro and attached it to my window frame on the inside. I could not get out the wrinkles and creases however, even using a hair dryer. The frosted shower liner I found out shows too much hot spotting, did not like the image at all.
I built a frame out of 1 x 2's and spray painted it black. It fits perfectly inside my window. I bought a White shower liner from Walmart; https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Light-Weight-White-Shower-Liner-1-Each/104751382. Put the frame over it and and cut the shower liner leaving about an inch and a half around the frame. I went around the frame and attached it using gorilla tape. The picture is fantastic, no hot spotting at all. and being able to stretch the material around the frame gives you no creases at all. You can take a hair dryer and get any other small folds out as well. Very inexpensive option and gives a very good picture.

Note: This is used as a rear projection set-up vs. front projection outside.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I did similar to above but built my frame out of PVC pipe. Then glued a cheap walmart shower curtain to it. I reuse them every year.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Way back when projections first came out (Mark Gervais’ Hallowindow) I used aluminum window screen framing for a projection frame I’ve used in an upstairs window. Instead of screening material I Used a cheap Walmart white shower curtain and secured it with a splining tool and spline like you would do if making a window screen. Worked really well and the aluminum frame was easy to cut. Plus simple to disassemble and a few pieces to store flat.

·
Registered
4 Posts

This was with a cheap projector from the rear. It's a 2x4 frame painted black with foam painted like stone. I used a frosted shower curtain from Walmart and stapled it to the back. I used the medium weight shower curtain for durability. It does project a great image.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts