Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Last year I bought one of the projectors from Home Depot. Has anyone tried using it to project from inside to outside? I have a big picture window that I would like to get some bridal mesh and hang in the front yard and project from inside to the mesh outside. Are these projectors good enough to do that? Open to any suggestions, tips and of course, if you have done this yourself, videos :)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I bought one at Home Depot last year, played around with it some....I noticed the room had to be dark to show up good on the wall, I'm doubtful your going to get anything usable shooting out your window into your yard....Too much distance....Projectors need to be experimented with but you figure out pretty fast what the limitations are....At least that unit is an all in one and pretty easy to tote around and try different things....Good Luck....ZR

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I've never tried this but I think you'll have 2 big problems. One will be the reflection off the inside of the glass and the second will be a very bad projector beam hotspot visible from outside.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey everyone! Last year I bought one of the projectors from Home Depot. Has anyone tried using it to project from inside to outside? I have a big picture window that I would like to get some bridal mesh and hang in the front yard and project from inside to the mesh outside. Are these projectors good enough to do that? Open to any suggestions, tips and of course, if you have done this yourself, videos :)
I bought one to play with. I have several differemt projectors to compare to. It will almost work depending on the image and window size. It just isn't bright enough. Santa at Christmas shows up, but too dim from the street.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
485 Posts
I bought one to play with. I have several differemt projectors to compare to. It will almost work depending on the image and window size. It just isn't bright enough. Santa at Christmas shows up, but too dim from the street.

Just curious, do you have any recently cheap projectors (ebay/amazon) that have an sd card or usb input that you think outperform the home depot projector and could be used at dusk rear projecting onto a window? Or are all of the ~$50-$60 projectors just too dim to be of any use at just before sundown?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just curious, do you have any recently cheap projectors (ebay/amazon) that have an sd card or usb input that you think outperform the home depot projector and could be used at dusk rear projecting onto a window? Or are all of the ~$50-$60 projectors just too dim to be of any use at just before sundown?
Yes. A 25-30w projector rear projected will be visible from about 100ft away. As an example, the HD windowfx from last year, displaying the santa video, looks pretty good at dark with some ambient streetlight, bot not at a distance. I tested in identical 4' high rectangular windows. Upstairs, it was pretty dim from the street, at an angle. Hard to see details. Ground level, straight on from 50' away it looked great. Only an expensive projector can compete against dusk or brighter. Again, the tradeoff is resolution and brightness. Limiting things to just media player projectors, you can get 800x600 under $100 or 1280x800 for $185-$199.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts