Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ATMOSFX MEDIA PLAYER the player is NOT seamless and does not work well with the unliving portraits scenes. Last year I used a raspberry pi and some python and made a media player. It wasn't perfect and when I saw this from AtmosFX I got very excited considering they advertise the use of the unliving portraits with the product. Big issues with is are the not seamless video. every time it its triggered there is a black screen at the end of it. It looks terrible, and really ruins the effect. Also you can't have it play both trigger scenes, this way you cannot alternate between scares or even various portraits. With a price point of $70.00 its not worth the investment and I am currently have a support request in about it not being seamless and if that is the way it supposed to be I would like to return mine. However, I still haven't heard from them at this point in time.
This was such a great concept but its a big miss in my opinion.
The small form factor is nice, the trigger works well, the device gets pretty hot but not too bad. I really wanted to have the improvement over the homemade pi/python but this actually produced a worse result.

hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The ATMOSFX MEDIA PLAYER the player is NOT seamless and does not work well with the unliving portraits scenes. Last year I used a raspberry pi and some python and made a media player. It wasn't perfect and when I saw this from AtmosFX I got very excited considering they advertise the use of the unliving portraits with the product. Big issues with is are the not seamless video. every time it its triggered there is a black screen at the end of it. It looks terrible, and really ruins the effect. Also you can't have it play both trigger scenes, this way you cannot alternate between scares or even various portraits. With a price point of $70.00 its not worth the investment and I am currently have a support request in about it not being seamless and if that is the way it supposed to be I would like to return mine. However, I still haven't heard from them at this point in time.
The small form factor is nice, the trigger works well, the device gets pretty hot but not too bad. I really wanted to have the improvement over the homemade pi/python but this actually produced a worse result.

hope this helps someone.
Just got an email back from support they will not allow me to return the device, because I used it, even though I had only tested it and that is all. That will be the last thing I ever buy from AtmosFX

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Been considering this as I've been searching for a media player to use with my hollusion effect this year. Looks like I'll be sticking to the alternatives until they fix this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the really bad reply from ATMOSFX
Thanks for pre-ordering our new 2017 Media Player. We understand your concerns but our returns policy does not allow for the return of items which have been opened or used. (Click here to read our complete returns and refunds policy).

Our Media Player is designed to be an entry level device for home decorators who can not spend hundreds of dollars of professional haunting equipment. Because of the lower cost of these items we do have to make some compromises with the features of the device, and one of those is the dip to black in between scenes.

For a truly seamless UnLiving Portraits experience, we recommend using video editing software to assemble your own custom loop of the scenes you want to see. That way the dip to black will occur far less frequently, and you can incorporate the transition files if desired.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm having the same issue. But, the reply from AtmosFX was the player might be defective. They requested a video of what was happening and said it would be replaceable under the warranty. Previous to buying the media player, I emailed them and asked specifically if there was a gap between videos and they replied "no," so I ordered.

I'll update here on the resolution of this.

Just got an email back from support they will not allow me to return the device, because I used it, even though I had only tested it and that is all. That will be the last thing I ever buy from AtmosFX

·
Registered
530 Posts
Agreed. This isn't the type of info you want to find out after you've purchased. Particularly when you're trying to time the setup of your haunt and expect things to work as described or implied.

Wow. They really should provide that VERY important information on their site so everyone understands before purchasing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm having the same issue. But, the reply from AtmosFX was the player might be defective. They requested a video of what was happening and said it would be replaceable under the warranty. Previous to buying the media player, I emailed them and asked specifically if there was a gap between videos and they replied "no," so I ordered.

I'll update here on the resolution of this.
Please do I shared my response from support and I am interested on how they will handle this.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have also posted comments on their blog, facebook and wrote a review on the product page. So far it seems like they don't approve anything that is negative.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another user was excited about this product on AtmosFx's facebook page so I replied that I was unhappy and got a response from atmosfx
We are sorry our entry level media player doesn't provide exactly what you want for this particular setup. Playing multiple files without any cutting to black is not possible with our media player or any others we have found on the market until you get to the professional equipment level with its matching costs. It is something we have been working with our manufacturers on and while we were able to optimize our media player for triggered effects (no delay between the hold state and animation once the sensor is triggered) unfortunately consumer level media players don't have sufficient memory to preload multiple files.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The biggest reason for this post beyond venting was letting others now what they will get when they order it. I hope no one else will run into the same disappointment I have.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Looking at this from another perspective (and I am by no means siding with AtmosFX) the product description did not state that the player was seamless with no black screen. In that respect, I advise anyone looking for a true seamless media player to be sure it is advertised as such. BTW, while some might, a true seamless player does not have to cost hundreds of dollars. I have a few brand new ones left, if anyone is interested you can PM me.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Exactly. They offered to refund me for the media player, because I specifically emailed them about the gap and they misinformed me. I've since read their return policy and it's awful, basically saying if you've opened the box - even to test the product - it's ineligible for return or refund.

That's extremely poor customer service. While understandable for things that are easily copied, like digital files, it's unacceptable on hardware, whether it's defective or doesn't work like you thought it would. In these cases, chargeback is the way to go. If they get enough of these, they will fell the pressure from their bank.

EDITED to clarify a typo (back to bank).

Do a charge back on your credit card. That will likely get a better response.

·
Registered
5 Posts

hope this helps someone.
Thanks for posting this. Last year I just used a DVD player and a flash drive. I was thinking about getting this, but the price had stopped me from ordering it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm glad you are getting a refund, and yes their return policy is horrible. Completely understandable for any type of media. Not for hardware. I'm looking into filing a BBB complaint. I don't know if I can do the charge back mainly because I have the product and I wouldn't feel right about it.

I really appreciate all the support from everyone here. Thank you so much!

edit: I might do a charge back I've never done that before and just read about it. Seems like the perfect case for me.

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I'm glad you are getting a refund, and yes their return policy is horrible. Completely understandable for any type of media. Not for hardware. I'm looking into filing a BBB complaint. I don't know if I can do the charge back mainly because I have the product and I wouldn't feel right about it.

I really appreciate all the support from everyone here. Thank you so much!

edit: I might do a charge back I've never done that before and just read about it. Seems like the perfect case for me.

Thanks again
This situation does stink and I'm on your side but again, it's not like Atmos advertised the player incorrectly. Hope it goes in your favor.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts