Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
How hard would it be to film/edit something like this yourself? Even if I had $250 to spare, i do not like the video they use. What software would you use to turn a video of someone into a shadow?

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
How hard would it be to film/edit something like this yourself? Even if I had $250 to spare, i do not like the video they use. What software would you use to turn a video of someone into a shadow?
Given the motion, and the limited colors, this would be something that could be done in Flash.
I can barely use Flash at all, and I can see the steps needed to make this video.

Perhaps there's more to this product than what we're seeing?

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
250?:eek: I don't get it!?
Maybe the video footage is $50 and the audio is $200.
Does it come with a speaker system...or is it just a dvd?

It could be easily created in Adobe Flash or After Affects:

First you need to film actors against a white background in greyscale mode on your camera. Then adjust the video footage so that it is very high contrast ( all grey levels now black).

Then import the video footage into Flash and convert to keyframes/movieclips.

Next, use the shape tween/motion tween tool for the blood splatter/morphing skeleton effects.

On another layer add a masked window silhouette.

Finally...sync everything up, add audio, export as a movie, burn to a disc, and enjoy.

Easy right?;) it's either that or $250

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
It sounds fairly easy... i'll look into buying flash tomorrow!
It just occured to me that flash is $599, so unless your planning on using flash for other things like singing pumpkins, talking busts, etc. than $250 is a good price!

Flash is a good tool to have in the home haunter's aresonal though. I plan on using it to make some singing pumpkins this year and attempt this effect too!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Is that for flash lite, or professional? How hard is the learning curve? I've been wanting to do a haunted bust with a projector also, and I just acquired 3 projectors, so it sounds like even for that much money it may be a worthwhile investment, assuming I will be able to learn it fairly well.

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Is that for flash lite, or professional? How hard is the learning curve? I've been wanting to do a haunted bust with a projector also, and I just acquired 3 projectors, so it sounds like even for that much money it may be a worthwhile investment, assuming I will be able to learn it fairly well.
Flash Pro! It costs more on Adobe's site. I have CS3 and it it's learning curve is significantly better than Flash Cs4. Plus, It's cheaper. If you can, try and find a Flash CS3 trial download and well...try it out. There are plenty of tutorial online to help you if you get stuck.

Flash is good for inspiration too. I have a million of haunt ideas that would look totally [email protected], If i can ever find the time to create them.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, if anyone is able to reproduce this effect...
Please consider making copies available to forum members.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Man that is a pretty darn cool effect. Why cant everything just be free?

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Well, if anyone is able to reproduce this effect...
Please consider making copies available to forum members.
I'll give it a shot sometime next week. I'm currently working on some 3d stuff for a client so, I'll get around to working on it soon. If anyone has any grayscale video footage they could send me, that would be great! I don't have a camcorder to film the scenes.

Once or if I get some video footage, I'll post the animation on here. I would prefer not to copy AtmosfearFx stuff, so if anyone has any ideas for the lightning window scenes PM me!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't have a camcorder, but I know many libraries will rent them out for about three dollars a day. I do think I will still be purchasing flash, so any animations I am able to come up with I will sure post on here for anyone to use.... however, I still have to learn to use the program first, so don't plan any scenes around any future work I may be able to do :)

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
I've worked on the "Wicked Windows" flash project a little. The major scenes are still missing, but at least it's something!

It's still very basic right now, so I'll call it Windows Beta! Hope the link works.

***Link Below!***

·
Registered
576 Posts
Eyegor, awesome job on such short notice! Some ideas for added graphics:
- When lightning flashes, add slanted rain.
- Have bats/ravens/gargoyles flying across pane in the distance
- Handprints that appear/disappear
- Can you get the tree to move like it's being blown by the wind?
- Human transmuting into a werewolf
- Bat trasmutting into a vampire
- Someone approaching the window and peering in.

...if only I had a projector!

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Thanks and thanks again for the Good Ideas! I didn't even think about the rain!:rolleyes:

Here's a question for all,
Should the scenes have a theme or be random?

***Link below!***

·
Registered
432 Posts
Looks great!

I wondered the same thing while watching the Lunatics Lightning... but if the shadow was from a real window, would it be slanted or straight?

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Looks great!

I wondered the same thing while watching the Lunatics Lightning... but if the shadow was from a real window, would it be slanted or straight?
Thanks!

Slanted! AtmosFearfx got that right! The figures are also supposed to be in slanted perspective, but they chose to do the figures vertical because the scenes are over within a few seconds. If the figures were slanted, it would be harder to interpret what was going on in the scene. I'll try both and see what looks best!

Unlike their version, this one has a little moonlight showing at all times...just like a real window!

I've made some changes to it already...I'll post it as soon as I can. Still no scenes though.

***Here you go!
View SWF File

·
Registered
537 Posts
That is fantastic!!!! Looking good. A theme would be nice but I think random would cover several peoples needs.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I do really like the axe/blood spray effect on the commercial video, but that's about the only thing I like in that one.

Maybe just have a girl appear in a flash of lightning, and then dissapear again.

Or even better... Do a "Ring" type approach, where she starts out in the distance walking in an odd way, then in the next flash she's RIGHT IN FRONT of you!

Will you be having the window visible all the time, or only when the lightning strikes?

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Or even better... Do a "Ring" type approach, where she starts out in the distance walking in an odd way, then in the next flash she's RIGHT IN FRONT of you!

Will you be having the window visible all the time, or only when the lightning strikes?
I don't know, the lightning strikes are a good startle effect, but on the other hand, it looks more realistic to have subtle window light.

I'll probably keep it the way it is, and for scene transitions fade completely to black. The scenes I hope to replicate are: the splatter blood effect, someone peering into the window,some kind of "better" monster transformation, and the ring type approach.

I got to get filming!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts